Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.93 - Bucentaure, acceleration rework and many other things

admin

Personally I see the dev announcements more like a general statement where the game is heading so that players can comment early on.  

This imho is a good thing even if I might not like all the changes or the order in which they are implemented.

I would eg have preferred a choice of officers over new perks. Buccentaur, Indiaman, Constitutiom, Renomee...i use several different ships and imho I should have a choice of officers, maybe 1 per ship.

Edited by Jan van Santen

I already have a Bucentaure thank-you, what other examples of true content this month do you have to offer me?

What I quoted was slated for this month, and wasn't delivered.

Comments from Prater is why most developers never hear criticism on their forums from the vocal minority and the player base of their game continues to drop.

Have I criticized stuff in Naval Action?  All the time.  Bucentaure was around prior to July?  Nope.  Now that it is done with testing, it has been fully released.  Also, I think the devs have accomplished a lot for a 10 man team.  Land in Port Battles will take time because it completely changes things and everything has to be redesigned surrounding port battles.  And they continue to come up with surprises on side projects.  Not sure if this is something they are really working on, but has anyone else noticed swivels in the game files?

• Like 5

I already have a Bucentaure thank-you, what other examples of true content this month do you have to offer me?

What I quoted was slated for this month, and wasn't delivered.

Comments from Prater is why most developers never hear criticism on their forums from the vocal minority and the player base of their game continues to drop.

We are a small team so everything new we add is content. Fixes and new perks IS content. We are too old to adjust our views for someone who has a different idea on what content is. You are probably spoiled by some magical developer :). You should check out star citizen and see how their 300 devs compare with us.

• Like 19

Was hoping for a new frigate also :/ Moderators spoiled us showing them of i guess. As for the imbalance, theres already mods (best of which cost quite a penny) and the general fact that a high level players will be sailing in a super frigate or a line ship, so i doubt officers make that much of a difference :P

Hence the 500 meter radius i assume. You can shred smaller ships and their sails at 500 meters even if you are not the most accurate of captains.

Makes it easier to steal… in my TRADE LYNX!!!! :D

• Like 1

i don't see any notes about fixing prices of some raw resources like tobacco and fish meat, which is stuck on 1 gold when selling to the port.

Hope it can be fixed in the upcoming hotfixes for this patch.

Edited by fransgelden
  • Like 1

Basically this means, once you are ganked you can turn to fight, resulting in little reward, a lost ship, a lost officer and loads of crew lost.So what is your best option: run away for 30-45 minutes, then surrender. Preferably make them spend time as much as possible while taunting them. :PReward those who deserve rewarding: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12557-surrendering-in-pvp-to-refuse-kill/?p=282898Then again I could be wrong... anybody have any suggestions how to fight a losing battle?

I don't see how this changes the dynamic in the situation of a gank, other than denying you a "I lose, you lose" option for ending the battle. Your opportunity for gain (fight for XP and gold and surrender before point of no return) or time-saving (just surrender immediately) remains the same. And there is always a chance you can force one of the gankers to surrender before you reach the no turning back point because they are operating under the same rules.

More advanced players well established already have more advantages and a nice collection of upgrades accumulated, then can use SOL's to grind quickly the 35K XP in PVE and get more advantages on the top of this, players starting or in frigates or 4th rate need way longer times to grind the officer, not counting in this the players learning and doing errors ending in getting ships sank and arriving at M&C or Post Cpt level with only a couple of officer life's remaining, those having it the easiest way in game get it even more easy with all advantages some of the perks gives and how easier it is to get XP using Sol's in pve risk free missions... not logical to favor the highest ranked players and create such imbalance from my point of view.

And can only hope the Santa Cecilia will be there but forgot on patch list like they done a few times, pilled up parts and LH contracts last weeks for this ship and want to make at least 2 of them , one live oak for fights one fir wood for chases, both with speed and possibly one in oak for both tasks , was going to get make me a few of those and use them for a while as they fit my gameplay :/

After all Admin on previous announcement said " + of course new ships." so there is hope .

Kenay gets it!  :)

I have the same gripe about fleet ships. ne players can't afford and/or crew them, leaving them vulnerable to seasoned captains.

• Like 1

Isn't that a good thing? Your are forced to chose. Even addition of one more officer with no other changes (i.e. 10 points per officer) would create huge differences between players with and without officers, devaluing skill in what is supposed to be a skill-based game. It would also mean you get to stack things that currently (thankfully) cannot be stacked, e.g. Pirate (speed bonus) / pirate hunter (reload bonus) + master (speed / reload bonus).

Why allow me to sail a pickle, an essex, a Sol or a trader and switch from one to another each 15 minutes if I want and not allow me to have officers dedicated for each different type of ships or tasks i do in this game ?

Some only sail in Sol's and that's fine, some enjoy all content and do mutliples tasks requiring different types of ships, you won't use the same officer in a trader as on a Sol or a frigate ... Unlike real life here we Captains will not sail the same ship for months or years with our officer following us everywhere ... i can be a trader in the morning, then fight in a pickle after that, then fight in a frigate one hour after etc etc 

There is a problem with officers 35k xp grind needed + limited life's and the unbalance between players depending them levels to get officers at max level, and also another problem with surrender meta they bring to the game this is where the issues are located with officers, not on the fact that we need to use different officers for different tasks in game.

• Like 1

i don't see any notes about fixing prices of some raw resources like tobacco and fish meat, which is stuck on 1 gold when selling to the port.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15426-please-increase-the-consumption-rates-of-ports/?p=287001

No Santa Cecilia ? Thing i was the more looking for in this patch sadly.

Like already said not fan of officer perks with officer limited lifes and all xp needed plus the imbalance it create between top ranked players able to grind 35K xp quickly and others needing a long time to do this or simply not able to be on par with other players as them total cumulated level xp isn't reaching 35K , plus no sign of multiples officers for multiples tasks or ships types, unless economy perks are added into a different kind of perks pool, don't see how a fighting officer should have  an effect on economy or ships building process.

Bit unclear for now, have to see this in game and see perks details to say more about some listed ...

Santa Cecilia is not tuned properly yet. Be patient please. ;)

• Like 2

works like intended. 

Why allow me to sail a pickle, an essex, a Sol or a trader and switch from one to another each 15 minutes if I want and not allow me to have officers dedicated for each different type of ships or tasks i do in this game ?

Some only sail in Sol's and that's fine, some enjoy all content and do mutliples tasks requiring different types of ships, you won't use the same officer in a trader as on a Sol or a frigate ... Unlike real life here we Captains will not sail the same ship for months or years with our officer following us everywhere ... i can be a trader in the morning, then fight in a pickle after that, then fight in a frigate one hour after etc etc

There is a problem with officers 35k xp grind needed + limited life's and the unbalance between players depending them levels to get officers at max level, and also another problem with surrender meta they bring to the game this is where the issues are located with officers, not on the fact that we need to use different officers for different tasks in game.

Because officers officers offer huge (no seriously, these are massive bonuses) specialization benefits in exchange for 1.) opportunity costs of specialization and 2.) risk of loss in combat. If you tied the officer to the ship then, for example, everyone would load an officer up with trading / building only perks, put that officer on trading ship and avoid ever risking that ship / officer in combat. It is then not an interesting choice, but a PvE grinding obligation. Also, people would take out throwaway suicide ships / fireships without an officer on board and be able to remove an officer life from another player without having to risk their own.
  • Like 3

Sailing acceleration/deceleration

we hope it works better.. but needs mass testing. 

didnt know something was wrong with it but thanks. due to physics of sailing these ships, their weight vs wind etc, they took a long time ( talking about the larger ships) to accelerate and decelerate

We are a small team so everything new we add is content. Fixes and new perks IS content. We are too old to adjust our views for someone who has a different idea on what content is. You are probably spoiled by some magical developer :). You should check out star citizen and see how their 300 devs compare with us.

I personally believe new content to mainly compromise of new things to do in the game, last patch we got a good few new things to do, fishing, bottle hunting. We got officer perks.

I understand you're a small team but I also strongly believe opinions like mine need to be voiced to help development, people didn't stop playing the game because their ships didn't accelerate properly. They left because of boredom due to the lack of things to do, hence the resurgence in player numbers after the last patch.

I'm a huge fan of the game and very thankful to you developers for the niche it fills, don't get it twisted, which gives me all the more reason to voice my personal concerns, and I will continue to do so despite people not liking my "attitude" or opinions.

didnt know something was wrong with it but thanks. due to physics of sailing these ships, their weight vs wind etc, they took a long time ( talking about the larger ships) to accelerate and decelerate

unless pointed into the wind which would stop them pretty quick

Awesome! One important request from me and many other players - please, please for the love of Zeus remove that chicken shed from the back of Bucentaure ship. Such beautiful lines unbalanced by a not needed box on the back of such beautiful ship.

I nicknamed the ship 'Butch'.

I don't see how this changes the dynamic in the situation of a gank, other than denying you a "I lose, you lose" option for ending the battle. Your opportunity for gain (fight for XP and gold and surrender before point of no return) or time-saving (just surrender immediately) remains the same. And there is always a chance you can force one of the gankers to surrender before you reach the no turning back point because they are operating under the same rules.

At the start you make a profit/loss decision based on the point of no return, which is now earlier in the fight.

Given that you stand to lose more in the new mechanic (because you'll not receive any form of significant reward), you can only ensure the other party loses as much as you can: time.

The other way around, it becomes a true decision:

• Fight, lose everything, but gain lots of XP
  • Surrender, lose little and gain little XP
vs
  • Fight, lose everything and gain little XP
  • Surrender, lose little and gain little XP
Again: I want to see fights, not surrenders.
  • Like 2