Game-Labs Forum

Will "arena" mode return?

What I would like to see that is close to this discussion is to have a historical battle done in the mission area of our interface. Historical mission on part with what had been provided by the board games (Wooden Ships and Iron Men or Close Quarters). You get into the game, land on one of the ships and play that position. If not fully filled with people then ai fills the vacancies.

It would have to be separated from the OW aspect but allows action on a historical level and allows you an opportunity to change an outcome of a battle. Imagine doing the battle of the Nile in a real map of the area!

I could spend a lot of time playing in this arena.

• Like 1

Nice speech.

Go back to fighting bots to gain rank and cash while pondering the silliness of those who value fighting players above all else.

Excuse me? Did I say I fight bots? Hell, I've not even done missions in over 2 months. And FYI, fighting bots is quite a bit harder than those who gang rape gank newbs 5v1. Try your insult again. Feel free.

Edit: All I ask for is that if it is re-implemented that the XP for rank and the ships is left separate from the OW, just as others mentioned.

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

What I would like to see that is close to this discussion is to have a historical battle done in the mission area of our interface. Historical mission on part with what had been provided by the board games (Wooden Ships and Iron Men or Close Quarters). You get into the game, land on one of the ships and play that position. If not fully filled with people then ai fills the vacancies.

No AI.  We do not want to fight AI.

If people want fair fights make them in OW no more ganking each other how bout we do that for once.  We all agree to try and fight on even terms. 

I know it is a very far fetched idea that we all agree not to gamk.

Yesterday, French bring a 10 SOL fleet and lots of frigate to Jamaica to search for an English fleet. Brits brought twice if not three time our number. We lost. Fun fight but to short for me....

Leaving the fight, I took a renommee with a friend and we sailed from ile a vache. Encountered lots of brits chasing us, and finally we entered a mission of a brit group. We were two renommé, AI had one surprise. Players against us were in a frigate an Essex and a cerberus, none of them undercrewed..... They tried to flee :( almost fait fight.... And they tried to flee, never been so shocked to see it. So we run at them to engage, recklessly. After some broadside I took heavy damage and go for a retreat.... Not even chased, they were still fleeing.

As much as I like the OW, the size etc... People do not want to fight... Maybe it is linked to the population, which is below a critical mass... Maybe some mechanics for taging especially.... Maybe crafting ruins everything (my bet, people invest a lot to craft a ship, time and resourced, and after fear to loose it, so never engage unless in gank squad)

Well end of the story, I am really concerned. I love the game, but I am done with all day pve, I want to find good PVP, but current mechanics or players prevent it to happen :(

I must agree, to find good and fair pvp is difficult in OW, maybe it's doable when you are part of a major guild that can organise a good harbor assault fleet and enough screening fleets, and even then it takes hours to get there, but for most of the players, it will be a pain and they will end in eternal chases against runners or finish massively outnumbered .

Maybe instead of a pve server, replace it with an arena server with no connection with pvp servers. I don't know who care to sail hours long and farm, knowing no one will attack you, just to be a bot killer. Arena would be a better complement imo.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

Excuse me? Did I say I fight bots? Hell, I've not even done missions in over 2 months.

You're prolly done leveling up, hence the leaving bots alone.

You made a point about leveling up in the "risk part" of the game. Most players have leveled almost all their rank fighting bots, nothing is as risk free as mission leveling in the "full of risk" open world.

To all you fun loving PVP-heads:

I doubt it's of any use to ask for things that might split up our already small community. Instead try to think up ways to make OW fights happen more frequently.

I blame loss and the economy for holding this fantastic game back, but that's prolly here to stay as well.

Heh, what if you couldn't rank up fighting bots but had to go out fighting players?

Edited by jodgi

open world is a great thing and we learnt a lot making it.

but indeed if you want somewhat equal fight its harder to get them (like in RL)

having said that i would like to make an official statement. 

Arena mode is not hard to do (separate client with a 1 big get fight button)

But implications are unknown. 

Elite and Ark introduced arena modes and i believe ELITE's arena failed and Arks one has very bad ratings. 

Also ST1 ended up with empty servers for us as well (but of course we only had 7-8 ships then and a lot less battle content).

Based on above mentioned implications the one possible (good) way is to bring arena back in form of official tournaments as part of the OW. 

• Like 1

Aye, that's a good idea. Rarity of tournaments would probably help fill them so that could work.

As for the daily fair PvP fix.. the simple truth is that it's incredibly hard to find someone willing to use the duel room so we might as well accept that most players prefer other things.

open world is a great thing and we learnt a lot making it.

but indeed if you want somewhat equal fight its harder to get them (like in RL)

having said that i would like to make an official statement. 

Arena mode is not hard to do (separate client with a 1 big get fight button)

But implications are unknown. 

Elite and Ark introduced arena modes and i believe ELITE's arena failed and Arks one has very bad ratings. 

Also ST1 ended up with empty servers for us as well (but of course we only had 7-8 ships then and a lot less battle content).

Based on above mentioned implications the one possible (good) way is to bring arena back in form of official tournaments as part of the OW. 

Quick questions, couldnt it also be possible for people to be able to create their own custom lobbies so they can kinda get a return of the battles of old with a certain degree of rules they can choose(for fun things like all trader brig traf :P). Would really love something like that for the trafalgars