Game-Labs Forum

Can game be set to show the actual Gettysburg battle?

Just wondering if there is a way in the game to have it show the Gettysburg battles as they actually occurred?  The user would not be playing the game but simply watching how the real Gettysburg battle transpired.  I am interested in learning more about the troop movements of the actual battle and thought this game might be a great learning tool.  Thanks for any help!  

• Like 1

It's clearly not possible although the idea sounds nice. I guess you could watch a few short documentaries about the battle main's movements and reconstitute them from the three days battle in the game. Would take a bit of planification but it can be replicated in a somewhat acurate manner i'm sure. 

It might be possible to come close with two teams in muliplayer playing out the scenarios along the historical timeline. It would require at least one player with hands on per side, and at least one "director" or historical choreographer (historeographer?) per side (2 would be better) tracking out the pre-planned times and cues for the various elements of the battle to get it as close as possible.

While the guns can be set to canister to shut down their ranged fire, the infantry shoot as they please so some tricks might be required to let an overly battered foe keep a position. 

I would watch this if I were you. It's one in a series of excellent videos detailing several battles of the civil war. It will give you a clearer picture of what kind of battle you are fighting in the game I think.

http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/gettysburg/maps/gettysburg-animated-map/

The animated battle and narration is very nice as an engaging overview of the movements and actions of the battle, and a complement to UGG. Good production values.

• Like 1

The animated battle and narration is very nice as an engaging overview of the movements and actions of the battle, and a complement to UGG. Good production values.

Yes, I think all newcomers to the game should watch this. When I first started it was difficult for me to distinguish the various locations on the map from one another and I'm thinking it's hard for anyone who starts up without knowing the battle.