Game-Labs Forum

Crew Cost scales to rank

As a RA who can do RA fleet missions I can earn enough money to cover my ship building and PvP expenses (which are all expensive !!!!).

However, helping a friend do a flag captain, the crew replacement cost from a mission pretty much ate the 1 repair kit and mission reward (and thats with 5 kills !!).

Now I think Kill/Assist PvP/PvE rewards need balancing in general, however, the game seems to scale with rank, so I think the cost of crew should to.

So if RA is 500 (and lets pretend thats right) it should be much cheaper for crew down at the lower ranks. I know they need less...but they earn less and proportionately lose as many and get proportionately less rewards.

• Like 7

Punishing people for ranking up and progressing... i can sea the floods in the forums already :) Honestly though i wouldn't mind a different approach to the basic idea (make the main price shift from basic sailors to marines that large ships carried in quite large numbers, which would ease the life of a lowly frigate sailor trying to make a name for himself). But yeah, you should really rethink what you just suggested and whether you want a ww3 starting here :DDDD 

I would suggest they hire an economic guy to come in and overhaul their whole system to make it function better, if they have a proper economic platform to work off it would make issues like this, trading, manufacturing and port prosperity work alot smoother, atm i dont think they grasp the whole concept properly to make it function how it should.

Yep, crew costs are unpleasant at Flag Captain to Rear Admiral, but looking at the sort of earning power people have at Second Lieutenant and First Lieutenant and the level of protection small ships provide their crew I'd imagine its easy to get stuck in a rut or even get kicked back down into the Basic Cutter (barring bypassing crew costs with the to-be hotfixed cutter trick).

Reducing crew hire costs for the ranks that could previously hire NPCs before the current fleet setup, along with increasing the chance of getting med kits from NPC traders and search and destroy missions seems reasonable, even necessary.

I'm Master Com and my crew max is 250 but I use a Surprise and it has a crew of 240.  That is 10 extras, but if I have a bad battle or even boarding it cost me what 1K per crew to get my crew back.  That is 30K if I loose 30 crew.  At this time I'm not in a clan and I'm just not making the money some of the big guys can make fleeting or even doing crafting.   Basicly the credits I earn every mission I been doing to level up is going towards buying new crew.  I love to board since I play more like a privateer than a Naval Officer and like to capture ships to make money too, but when you make me spend all my earnings on crew it's pretty much wasted for the pay out. I might as well just sink the ships (I capture a lot of traders not so much normal ships).   

I agree the cost for crew should scale a bit with your ranks not be the same across the board or it needs to be lowered a bit to be more manageable for the players still trying to level up.  It be different if I had a big pool to work with or something, but I don't if I loose crew I loose ship handling.

Many don't sail ships ships corresponding to what they can sail at them rank.

I am rear admiral, i have mostly 5th rates that i love to sail, i don't like to use sluggish Sol's, almost never have 4th rates in my docks, had a couple of throw out 1 dura 4th rates captured last week like it happens once in a while, well only one atm since one as i lost one shot with 44 leaks at once yesterday... longest time i kept a third rate in game was few days ago to grind officer with a Bellona , kept it for 2 or 3 days the time to reach level 8 or 9 on officer and get the frigate perk then sold it , beside this particular occurrence i never kept a third, 2nd or first rate for me more than a couple of hours after crafting them, i can craft me a Sol and grind easy cash and XP, but why will i do it as i don't find any entertainment in this ?

Hopefully i have other ways to make gold and crew isn't a problem for me but i know players of similar levels who also like to sail smaller ships as they bring a more interesting gameplay and they have more difficulties than me to make substantial gold to afford stuff in game ... Let apart some lower levels ones that i regualry see or help and just can't keep up with all costs and are always put at disadvantage. 

And not only the crew cost is a lot for low ranks but like i said already few times the officer needs an insane grind to be efficient, 35K xp more or less, same amount of XP needed to pass from Master & Commander to Post Captain and then reach Flag Captain, if you are not rear admiral doing fleet missions in the biggest possible ship you are screwed and put automatically on the weak side with big disadvantages without a full set of officer perks while more advanced players who are playing long enough to get a lot of nice upgrades and ships can profit of nice officer perks and grind them quickly ... This game gives all advantages to those who need them the less ... 

The thing that comes back the more in chat as complain from players not at the end levels is the grind needed, and with crew cost and officers the players who are not at max level and doing pve fleets using Sol's are even more screwed ... A nice way to welcome new players or those progressing slower in game due to less playing time... this can only hurt the game and make it less appealing for any player interested in such game ... Come to the game and be free food for more experienced players having way more advantages than you can ever dream about ... 

We haven't even gone down the full road yet on Medkits and folks are resorting to simply complaining. Right now I am waiting to see the basic cutter fixed.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15026-pvp1-july-tobbies-tobacco-imperium/?p=282284

The 500/crew is a very simplistic money sink, which you should only use as a last resort.

Mid-level captains should ((be) learn(ed) how to) capture the last ship and sell it back to port to regain enough crew. (And this is what started the cutter bug.)

Note that ultimately being a Privateer only will be the hardest carrier choice, because of the gold cost involved.

Learn to fight without wasting your crew.

After that we need the market mechanics fixed up.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15098-economics-patch-proposal/

I may even start lobbying to put it ahead of the diplomatic patch as I forsee trouble with that one.

Dont fight pve. AI was/is/will ever be a crew sniper. Fight PvP. Players Aim for the waterline. In PvP crew cost is very good balanced (In case you dont decide to sink with smoking guns)

Dont fight pve. AI was/is/will ever be a crew sniper. Fight PvP. Players Aim for the waterline. In PvP crew cost is very good balanced (In case you dont decide to sink with smoking guns)

It ain't anymore with most fights ending by surrenderer more or less quickly, more like a loss of time for what you earn in the end now.

How not to do it. :P

post-11395-0-17013400-1468998864_thumb.jpg

I thought I had a picture on how to do it, but apparently I forgot to make some.

post-11395-0-19872000-1468999178_thumb.jpg

I'm not being ultra-conservative here and I don't have any upgrades on.

post-11395-0-95853900-1468999350_thumb.jpg

So while still costly, it was easily recuperated with the sell of the Renommee.

Do not try this in PvP. :D

You man certainly have no problems with gold seeing all flags you are able to buy daily or like yesterday half a dozen of them in less than 2 minutes :P

The only time I bought crew at port, was the first time I saw the option. I thought it was backed by a nation pool, so I had to be in first. :D

Other than that the cutter a couple of times to get my screenshots for the exploit.

The rest all through Medkits and (normal) ship sales. Just as any other player should do. ;)

So far this has kept my amount of crew somewhere between 900 and 1100. More than enough to get into trouble.