Game-Labs Forum

Looks nice so far.

Can i ask, do you intend of having crew shouting in the language for which you play?

The crew now shouts in english, how about Dutch, Spanish, French, Danish, Swedish?

First thing that came to my mind too, i hope so.

Now all this reminds me i need to isolate and pin point at least one of the current gun sound having a crackling in it that is easy ( and irritating ) to hear in battle, not sure if it's at the start or at the end of the gun sound effect but during battles this single crackling sound is very annoying to hear repetitively on good audio setups.

PS : will waves sound effect when they hit the ships be different depending of if we sail a small ship or bigger one to add a bit more variety ? 

Now all this reminds me i need to isolate and pin point at least one of the current gun sound having a crackling in it that is easy ( and irritating ) to hear in battle, not sure if it's at the start or at the end of the gun sound effect but during battles this single crackling sound is very annoying to hear repetitively on good audio setups.

can you record it and post here?

• Like 1

I am Dimitriy Dyachenko, I create sound for Naval Action. Here is the latest results of experiment with improved battle sound and voice commands, I hope you'll like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6p4Tf_jt44

Dimitriy, I think your awesome sounds broke the interwebz!!!!!! Lol

• Like 1

Had the pleasure of hearing them in good stereophonic at work and then in 360 at home, bloody hell I can almost smell the flash and thunder.

The positional is good and the ripple fire is well felt.

The only tiny thing is the "native" sounds&chatter, that we had for so long :) , is maybe too high now and adds too much noise at moments.

Yeah, I like it Dimitriy, and I've been noticing other ship sounds creeping into the game, very good. I will suggest, and yeah, I do stage work as well as boats, and also game modding and 3d modeling, I will suggest that you

1.keep the sounds fairly background so, as one person put it, you don't get bored with the same phrase over and over. And same with music, that Caribbean pirate game they hacked from mount and blade really shoved the chanties up your butt. And I say that as a guy who played Shenandoah on the concertina in the old Hingham ship church. Enough is enough! lol

2.I don't mind an MP3 player that I can load tunes into and control in game. You should also put music in, that way we can have it any way we want. I used to play on the docks for loose change waiting for the season, and my pay, to start. But after the fifteenth or twentieth time even I don't want to hear me sing "The Handsome Cabin Boy".

3.I don't know about the old days of the Caribbean as much as I would like, but I've never sailed up to an island down there without hearing the noise of the port, and music. Faint, wafting music coming over the bay, or sometimes loud if the band is by the docks. Often the entire town is by the docks. Steel drums around kingston and certainly in the windward islands now, I don't know it that would be appropriate, but occasionally you should hear drums, maybe when just sailing along the jungle in south america, jungle drums not steel. Since I work once and a while out of Coral Bay for real, and it's still got just the original colonial dock by the way, you can hear the choir in the Moravian Church as you sail in if the rock band at Skinny Legs isn't putting it out at volume 11.

In all, as a moderately successful amateur stage and set designer with one whole award to my adult name, all I can say is don't overwhelm with any one sound, mix a ton of little sounds into your brew, spread them around, like in good cooking, texture and little bursts of flavor are to be preferred to being gob-smacked by "what do we do with a drunken sailor"?

If you wanted to contact me for some info on that sort of stuff, I do have access to the largest Whaling Museum on earth, and the curator walks by my shop door every morning to get coffee.

4. and I should have remembered, least noise around noon with the sun full up the town's go to sleep, most noise right after sunset when the temperature cools off and the drinking (for real) starts.

• Like 3

If there will be native voices I would like to have a sound option to set language on my ship and language for the enemy ship.

For example:

default: english - english

Custom: Pick a language - pick a language

Historic: Language of your nation - language of the enemy nation

Question

Can you attach continuous sound file to a flying cannon ball?

Example, swooshing sound follows the cannon ball while it's flying overhead and fades away with distance. 

Yes, unity allows that. would be cool if the devs would add it :P

That video is awesome. I'm really looking forward to hearing it in my headphones.

One thing, having had the pleasure of hearing cannon fire across water and in vast open spaces, please don't forget one crucial thing, in reality you can hear the cannon fire ripple/echo off of distant trees, waves, buildings. If you're near shore at the very least have a second shot be heard as the sound ricochets off the land and comes back. I've yet to see a game get this right. :D

EDIT: One more note, if you're near the shot, you hear it, then there's a delay (based on how far away the bounces occur), and then you hear your shot distinctly with a slow decay into the distance. If you're next to the shot, you hear the pop and then you hear it progress onwards away from the origin. If you're facing the shot and near what it bounces off of you mostly just hear the shot and maybe a subtle rumble as it travels but the initial sound is the most distinct.

I hope all of that makes sense lol.

Edited by Domox
  • Like 1

I think what happens is sometimes guns fire simultaneously and the cannon fire pops because the gain is so high having multiple sounds played at once. At least thats what I was hearing at one point, but it hasn't stood out lately. Do you guys run the audio through a compressor or does unity do it automatically?

To all 60 of them as they fly past from a Santi broadside?

How about creating a sound box around ship. When cannon balls enter the box sound appears and is increased towards ship center point and fades out when leaving the sound box. This can just have few preset swoosh sounds (1-6 max) when cannon balls contact the sound box. 

Had time to test a bit and done this quickly tonight, tried to highlight the cracklings in the video uploaded here :  http://www.mediafire.com/download/dl76t7v8ymovvhz/NA+sound+crackling.mkv  ( not uploaded to youtube since audio quality is quite crap there even at high rates ) 

It doesn't happen in all battle instances, seems related to some ships or guns used, here it's heavily triggered especially at the start, not noticed this using a Essex or Frigate in fleet battles for example, had it on first attempt using a capped constitution loaded with long guns, had it the most when leveling up a bit my officer using a Bellona for 2-3 days and then sold it, was really annoying there, might have to craft another Bellona in the next days and see if i can trigger this more using it again to bring more infos on this.

Ships in this test battle in case it might help :

340299Client2016072023345680.jpg

Will see in the next days and try to get more examples and data on this.

Thanks.

PS: using :

- Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series

- Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME

Same stuff when plugin in a Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 kit or passing audio directly into my Hi-Fi system ( Technics amplificator, Bose & JmLab for the speakers ) 

Thanks 

Edit bis :

Looking and listening to the video in the OP it looks like we can hear some similar crackling at 02-03s, a slight one, then after the first broadside unloaded at 20 and 22sec we can hear 2 more, but like i said youtube quality is crap so it's hard to say more on this one.

• Like 2

"Killick, Killick there! Extra grog rations for this man."

The sample crew noises sound very good and certainly add to the immersion.  As others have mentioned if the new sounds are dynamic and contextual it will be a great addition to the game.  Though I will probably keep my custom playlist of baroque and historical chanties as background music.

• Like 1