Game-Labs Forum

Support for smaller/dead nations needed!

This is directly related to PvP Two USA server and players

As a former French and currently a Spaniard player (Moving between two dead nations) I thought i'd like to encourage new players or players from the main nations of the US, Great Britain and Pirates to give them a go and give life to nations that are reduced and obliterated. That's what I have been doing for 800 hours since I purchased the game, sticking to my cause hoping people would join.

Don't you just miss seeing Spanish, French, Dutch and Swiss flags in battles ?  It would open a whole new political and diplomacy system between multiple nations as opposed to the pre-existing 3 major powerhouses.

Anyone who is feeling like a bit of a challenge or a change why not help us out and join. Even if this means a meager 10-15 players, would still allow some leverage to expand and hold onto a number of ports.

So the next time you press "M" to access the map you will hopefully not be seeing Green, Red and Black everywhere!!!

• Like 3

Maybe new players can be encouraged to start within a smaller nation by some sort of a starter package - ships, upgrades, gold

For some players language might be a barrier unless there is already a community speaking that language in the nation.

Couldn't really imagine playing for a faction where a language I don't understand is the common ground in national chat.

If nations like France and Spain want to boost their playernumbers first step might be to go for English as a common ground. Seems difficult to achieve since not everybody in these nations will be comfortable speaking English. I see that in Brit chat too, where some people get angry already if someone is typing in a different language.

• Like 2

The balance between nations is the big issue in this game... the crew system seemed to be a good attempt... buy it had fail giving free crew to the people and the ammount of total crew is way too big.

From my perspective, the game should give some kind of national resource that allow the player to build the ships. That resource should be always the same for every nation, no matter the amount of player (thats the purpose) or the amount of ports they have and that resource should be a small enough to be a decelerator for big nations and an accelerator for small nations.

Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

Nations dont Need to be equally strong. Small nations can ally with big ones to equal things out.

Limiting crew for a nation and therefor having a mechanism that prevents players from playing the game they bought is certainly not the way to go.

I think the opposite, the balanced should be settled in mechanics and dont expect the community play that role or the game will become a bully game. It's a fact that most of the players tends to play as England or Americans (why are they even in the game?, Just a personal opinion) against other nations.

Any national resource would encourage, not avoid nor force, the new players to become part of the "smallest" nations. For that purpose the player should be notified with the expected consequences of their decision through the character creation phase.

Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

a lot of players play the game for different reasons than hardcore RVR.

If you limit the choice of faction for players you are already taking away the motivation for some. The amount of "horatio nelsons", "jack Audrey's" and "jack sparrows" should already tell you that these players had reenactment in mind and where already set on a nation to represent when they created their character.

As stated above language is another barrier. English is a foreign language for me and I don't speak French or Spanish. I would not want to play for either France or Spain based on language already.

Imagine what rift would go trough the game if ayers start campaigning against each other for the opportunity to "play.

"Go leave for another faction - you are taking crew away from people that use it to fight for the nation".

Nice opportunity for exploits as well. Take away national resources by placing your alts in a nation. 10 low level alts take away a first rate worth in crew.

Can see this coming and don't think this is a direction we should go

Edited by Chimera

a lot of players play the game for different reasons than hardcore RVR.

If you limit the choice of faction for players you are already taking away the motivation for some.

Those kind of players wont have to refill that resource (it doesnt have to be crew but anything else) so they will be absolutly capable to play their gamestyle.

As stated above language is another barrier. English is a foreign language for me and I don't speak French or Spanish. I would not want to play for either France or Spain based on language already.

That is indeed a consequence, not a cause, of the issue. If players are encourage to play as another nation the english/french/spanish/danish/swedish/danish/piratish speakers will grown in all nations and those that, saddly, see the game as "you can only play as X nation if you talk in that language" will dissappear, you will have people in all nations speaking in english (what I think should be, i've never liked the current situation).

Imagine what rift would go trough the game if ayers start campaigning against each other for the opportunity to "play.

"Go leave for another faction - you are taking crew away from people that use it to fight for the nation".

***** Are and will be always there...

Nice opportunity for exploits as well. Take away national resources by placing your alts in a nation. 10 low level alts take away a first rate worth in crew.

Can see this coming and don't think this is a direction we should go

Thats indeed somthing that should need a second thought and can be fixes somehow. But the resource should be taken by playing, not just have it after creating the account. For instance, an alter account in a low level now have a small amount of crew, they dont have 3k guys "reserved" for him/her. Edited by CeltiberoCaesar

Maybe some form of "upkeep" is needed to control a port. If your nation can't afford the upkeep civil unrest sets in and a port becomes neutral or a pirate base.

The further away from your home territory the higher the amount of resources you need to control the port.

To balance out the game by creating equal alliances their could be mechanisms to encourage curtain alliances it discourage others.

Keeping up an alliance could as well be something that has a cost attached to it.

I would also like game mechanics that shuffles alliances from time to time.

the way i see that this can be fixed is with the timer system that is in the game right now and with the addition of a set amount of ports that will ALWAYS be part of that nation. Adding the 5-10 ports to a nations cant be captured list will help reduce the ability to camp out of a capital and kill anything that tries to get out which is what happens when a nation gets pushed to 1 port. It also allows that nation to keep up with resource production and thus keep making ships to go back on the attack. Also changing the port timer mechanics just a little will help smaller nation more by making the times between attacks on ports longer the less ports they have. Example is Nation A and B have 25 ports. They then go to war and nation A looses 5 ports so now A has 20 and B has 30. Now the timer for Nation A is 3 days instead of 2 and Nation B is 1.5 days instead of 2. This represents the fact that it is easier for a larger nation to be attacked since it has more area to cover and protect and the smaller nation has less so it has a more concentrated defense and thus harder to attack. 

Nations MUST go to war. Simple as that. They must go to war for resources and trade.

Making 5 to 10 ports unassailable is fair game with one limitation to make it fair and square - 1 building per port only.

Nations MUST go to war. Simple as that. They must go to war for resources and trade.

Making 5 to 10 ports unassailable is fair game with one limitation to make it fair and square - 1 building per port only.

i would agree its just that i see the biggest problem being that nations that are down to 1 port have a hard time to get stuff to make ships and fight back even more some when they have just been pushed back to the capital and are then trapped in there 

Let's see how the national crew pool will balance things along with the Lordship and entire PB system changed. It will be the same for all nations, so nations with more population will have more difficulty crewing in the long run. Less populated ones will have more crew reserves per player.

I dont like telling people what nation they have to play and i also dont like safe from attack ports but i think one thing that could help is if players who want to play a faction of a language they dont speak could transfer to pvp2 where most factions use English as the main language.

Heck if anything maybe offer a deal like if you swap from pvp1 to pvp2 and pick nation X to play ( low pop ones) you can bring your stuff over like a server swap. This way nobody loses and game mechanics are not changed because of low population.

I can say, the biggest issue USA has on PvP2 is working together and agreeing on this. I have done my best to advocate a USA-Spain alliance, which started nicely, but then some USA faction/s decided to retake the Spanish ports feeling that Spain would not be able to defend them. So to that, I suggested we run interference. They replied saying that it would be too much work. Since then we have lost north Cuba ports to the brits and rats.

So, I have recently decided to work with the Dutch and French, even sharing port capture techniques. These two nations are welcome to a friendly alliance with TOTC as I continue to advocate for a full alliance with US, ES, FR, and VG. (RP post to come)

• Like 4

I can say, the biggest issue USA has on PvP2 is working together and agreeing on this. I have done my best to advocate a USA-Spain alliance, which started nicely, but then some USA faction/s decided to retake the Spanish ports feeling that Spain would not be able to defend them. So to that, I suggested we run interference. They replied saying that it would be too much work. Since then we have lost north Cuba ports to the brits and rats.

So, I have recently decided to work with the Dutch and French, even sharing port capture techniques. These two nations are welcome to a friendly alliance with TOTC as I continue to advocate for a full alliance with US, ES, FR, and VG. (RP post to come)

...this is why the diplomacy features in this game are long overdue and desperately needed.

• Like 1

Let's see how the national crew pool will balance things along with the Lordship and entire PB system changed. It will be the same for all nations, so nations with more population will have more difficulty crewing in the long run. Less populated ones will have more crew reserves per player.

As stated: I don't think a system were I can't sail a ship because others already do is not going to help the game. All it does is frustrate the player who can't play the game he paid for.

As stated: I don't think a system were I can't sail a ship because others already do is not going to help the game. All it does is frustrate the player who can't play the game he paid for.

You interpret the mechanic wrong. No one is going to steal your share. Your share is yours. Your share depends on nation population. No one can steal your share.

Please, let's test it. Let's test it all and them get everything wiped so we start anew in a "perfect" gold release version.

• Like 1

How do you change nations?  Do you start out back at the lowest level and lose all you accumulated ships and materials? 

Your rank and craft level stays with your Steam account. To keep your ships and gold, you need to entrust these with a mate, then delete your player character in game, then recreate with a new nation, then meet with your mate to retrieve your things.

I think you lose all your ship blueprints and have to start those all over again.

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

the PVP2 Spain expansion was supported by several US clans including WATCH and we would tell people not to attack all the time. The majority of the US didnt attack it was 1 specific clan that did all the attacking on spain ports that caused it to die right when it started back up. 

Please dont get the notion that we the US dont want spain to be a part of this if we could have we would have stopped the 1 clan that did all the attacking

• Like 2

How do you change nations?  Do you start out back at the lowest level and lose all you accumulated ships and materials? 

If you are on PVP2 and want to switch nations, feel free to contact me in-game for France.  I will facilitate a switch to France for you if you like.  If you are new and need help getting going just let me know when you contact me.

• Like 1

I agree there should be a balance mechanic in place for the nations. Something to attract players to smaller undermanned nations instead of joining the zerg.

Perhaps a mission gold bonus, or xp bonus or both.

You just cant do bonuses or extra stuff or safe ports etc because in this day and age all the try hards will just pop from bonus to bonus while keeping all the xp and gold etc. PLEASE dont use a bribe/welfare system to encourage population.

To me the most logical is to make players run thier ports and manage them and costs should rise depending on distance to capital or amount of land owned etc. This way expansion is still doable but requires some planning and strategies and will be slowed down the larger a nation becomes.

I know the devs are planning something to have people run ports but not sure what it is.

• Like 2

I think that commerce should be involved. If you are the "Lord" of the port of you have taken the flag to capture it then you should also be benevolent to the people by paying for infrastructure for the town and port. If the up keep cannot be made it should revert back to "NEUTRAL" after an allotted amount of time.  This would make the Rich land owning Lords responsible to what they have taken

Also If you have taken large amounts of ports then the cost of up keep will cool your jets in the War material department and you will have to balance your combat fleet with your Port holding responsibilities 

• Like 2