Game-Labs Forum

Upgrades/Modules - how to read?

Looking at the plusses and minuses on the various upgrades, the percentages typically speak for themselves.  What I can't tell is the improvement some of the other 'tweaks' provide.

For example:

Extra Staysails - Jib Sales Force Bonus - 0.1 for an exceptional upgrade.  But 0.1 on what?  I'm sure different ships have different benefits from installing this permanent upgrade - but it's not obvious to me if this is a trivial improvement or a significant one.

How can you tell?

• Like 2

It is a bit arcane, you are right :)

The game has a model for the lift/thrust that Jibs and Staysails provide (they are the rectangular sails that you can "depower" using the T key) plus the lift from the square sails.

The jib+staysail thrust component is boosted by 10% by the module - which gives your ship more thrust than before when sailing with the head into the wind.

It is only a small buff - but it gives more options to build a dedicated smuggler/flag carrier/privateer vessel where there ability to escape is high up on the list of priorities.

"studdingsails" and "extra staysails" modules are probably only worth about .1 to .2 knots.

0.1 to 0.2 knots is a help....  coupled with copper bottom and it will help move a ship along that much faster.  I will see if I can get some help and run some tests with a ship with and without the staysail upgrade.

its better for devs to stay vague until they fine tune mechanics then explain it all to  you up front and start a race war on the forum. All will be explained in due time ... Ignore that man behind the green curtains!

Hahaha....Right?? I got a gold "charismatic boatswain" the other day... I still cant tell if i got a dud or hit the lottery... LOL

You hit lottery :) this upgrade makes your crew move faster between assignment on ship, allowing you to win time for example when anticipating a maneuver and sending crew to sail, you will reach optimal crew much faster, and so move your yard at full speed sooner.

Exellent upgrade especially when under crewing a ship.

Edited by Sire Trinkof
  • Like 2

It is a bit arcane, you are right :)

The game has a model for the lift/thrust that Jibs and Staysails provide (they are the rectangular sails that you can "depower" using the T key) plus the lift from the square sails.

The jib+staysail thrust component is boosted by 10% by the module - which gives your ship more thrust than before when sailing with the head into the wind.

It is only a small buff - but it gives more options to build a dedicated smuggler/flag carrier/privateer vessel where there ability to escape is high up on the list of priorities.

"studdingsails" and "extra staysails" modules are probably only worth about .1 to .2 knots.

Wait there is a "T" command for certain sails? I just learned something new.  Oh and I got a gold set of these the other day from a wreck and asked this same question and no one could really tell me what they do lol