Game-Labs Forum

National Ships

As you float around and look at all the ships, you notice they mostly have American names.

Not every nation made every ship.

Yeah, sloops, cutters and pickles were common, as were many trader ships (pinnacle and flute), but once you get into higher ships, they got to differ. Even with what were considered similar classes, still differed in guns and craftsmanship between nations.

Spain's backbone were the Galleon line (light, medium, heavy, war, manila). They were both trader and battleships.

Most of the heavy classes have US names, like Constitution and Essex. When the game develops more, I would hope the other nations should get ships named after ships of their country.

Pirates never really were great ship builders. They had to capture, or buy, though mostly capture, larger ships.

Spain's backbone were the Galleon line (light, medium, heavy, war, manila). They were both trader and battleships.

Spain used the same design of battleships as everyone else. After 1700 almost all 'galleons' were indistinguishable from British ships of the line.

If anything, it was the light craft that differed the most by region and culture.

• Like 3

I'd love to see a good mix of ships for each nation. Like each nation has it's own 1st rate, frigate, and small ship at the very least. this was the nations major classes get represented in some way. I know 1st rates are hard work but I would like to see one for every nation in-game.

I'd love to see a good mix of ships for each nation. Like each nation has it's own 1st rate, frigate, and small ship at the very least. this was the nations major classes get represented in some way. I know 1st rates are hard work but I would like to see one for every nation in-game.

This might take a while because while there are ships of different nations in the works, they seemed to have skipped ships from the number one naval power from the beginning of the timeline.

As you float around and look at all the ships, you notice they mostly have American names.

Not every nation made every ship.

Yeah, sloops, cutters and pickles were common, as were many trader ships (pinnacle and flute), but once you get into higher ships, they got to differ. Even with what were considered similar classes, still differed in guns and craftsmanship between nations.

Most of the heavy classes have US names, like Constitution and Essex. When the game develops more, I would hope the other nations should get ships named after ships of their country.

Pirates never really were great ship builders. They had to capture, or buy, though mostly capture, larger ships.

There are plenty of American ships in game, and one more is confirmed to come. I'd agree that American ships are over-represented compared to their relevance in the period, and that ships like the Essex and the Fair American Brig/Navy Brig fill roles that could have reasonably been filled by ships of another nation, but Lynx and Constitution are suitable examples of ships in their roles.

Pickles are not a generic type - HMS Pickle is an individual topsail schooner. Pinnaces (referring to ships rather than later pinnaces as boats) are older than the game's time period.

Galleons filling the smaller man-of-war roles predates the game's timeline - galley-frigates and early sailing frigates had wholly subsumed them by 1670 (current earliest date for ships to be added to game) and even the largest ships of the line were frigate-built rather than galleon-built by 1715 (launch date for Ingermanland, current oldest ship in game). The galleons in service in the 18th century were solely large armed merchantmen (such as the Manila Galleons).

Eventually the game may have enough ships that every nation could fill all roles with their own ships, but that is currently pretty far off. The British are currently the only nation that can fill most roles, while the Danes and Dutch have no ships in game at all.

There are plenty of American ships in game, and one more is confirmed to come.

A bit off topic but what ship would that be? I haven't heard of any new American ships.

Also, the US only has 5 ships currently as far as  know, that's not much imo.

Edited by Legioneod

A bit off topic but what ship would that be? I haven't heard of any new American ships.

Compare the Dutch navy at the time to the American navy, then compare how many are in game / in development.  For the amount of ships currently in game, America has a lot.

Here is a list of ships in game:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3750-list-of-ships-and-other-vessels-in-the-game/

At the moment we have

7 ships from Great Britain (Cutter, Pickle,Snow, Cerberus, Trincomalee, Bellona, Victory)

8 ships from US (Lynx, Privateer, Rattlesnake,Niagara, Essex, Constitution, Brig, Navy Brig)

4 ships from Russia (Mercury, Ingermanland, St. Pavel, Frigate)

4 ships from France (La Groß Ventre, La Beele Poule, L'Unite(Surpirse), La Renommee)

2 ships from Sweden (Yacht; Indiaman*)

1 ship from Spain (Santissima)

0 ship from Netherlands ()

I haven't count trader variants*.

Comming:

2 ships from France (Bucentaure, La Ocean)

1 ship from GB/Spain ( Santa Cecillie(Hermonie) )

1 ship from German Nations (Wappen von Hamburg)

1 US schooner brig Prince de Neufchatel*

and winner from last poll:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8340-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016-final-poll/

this should be 1 Dano-Norwegian ship (Christian VII), one spain (Diana) and 1 sweden (Venus or* Gustav Adolph(Wasa) )

+ some i have forgotten about

TLDR:

some nations have a good amount of ships, but from other nations are comming more

EDIT: *corrected some errors

Edited by Gregorey

Compare the Dutch navy at the time to the American navy, then compare how many are in game / in development.  For the amount of ships currently in game, America has a lot.

Well hopefully one day all the nations will be represented somewhat equally. That's one of the reasons I would like a 1st rate, frigate and smaller ship from each nation in-game.

Here is a list of ships in game:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3750-list-of-ships-and-other-vessels-in-the-game/

At the moment we have

7 ships from Great Britain (Cutter, Pickle,Snow, Cerberus, Trincomalee, Bellona, Victory)

6 ships from US (Lynx, Privateer, Rattlesnake,Niagara, Essex, Constitution)

4 ships from Russia (Mercury, Ingermanland, St. Pavel, Frigate)

4 ships from France (La Groß Ventre, La Beele Poule, L'Unite(Surpirse), La Renommee)

1 ships from Sweden (Yacht)

1 ship from Spain (Santissima)

1 ship from Netherlands (Indiaman)

Comming:

2 ships from France (Bucentaure, La Ocean)

1 ship from GB/Spain ( Santa Cecillie(Hermonie) )

1 ship from German Nations (Wappen von Hamburg)

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/8340-player-ship-selection-1st-half-2016-final-poll/

this should be 1 Dano-Norwegian ship (Christian VII), one spain (Diana) and 2 sweden (Venus, Gustav Adolph(Wasa) )

+ some i have forgotten about

TLDR:

some nations have a good amount of ships, but from other nations are comming more

The indiaman isn't Dutch, its a Chapman design and is Swedish

Edit:  I know that there are ships for the non-Dutch nations coming, I'm just sick of whenever the Dev's want a Dutch ship they turn to Chapman.  Originally they presented the Yacht as a dutch ship until it turned out to be a Chapman design.  Then the Amsterdam won a player selection poll, where once they could not find any plans, instead of turning to a Dutch design, they turned to Chapman.

Edited by Zeekoning

1 ship from Netherlands (Indiaman)

this should be 1 Dano-Norwegian ship (Christian VII), one spain (Diana) and 2 sweden (Venus, Gustav Adolph(Wasa) )

Indiaman was initially slated to be based off the VOC ship Amsterdam, but the original plans weren't found and the replica is not based on the original design - the in-game Indiaman is based off an EIC ship built to a Swedish design.

The first page of that poll says 2 ships will be selected (Christian VII and Diana are vote leaders) and no wild card has been confirmed. I'd like to see Venus, but neither Venus nor Wasa have been confirmed.

The schooner brig Prince de Neufchatel has been indicated to be in development.

The US currently has Lynx (with it the Trader Lynx and Privateer), Brig (with it Trader's Brig and Navy Brig), Rattlesnake, Niagara, Essex (barring its capture by the British), and Constitution. Including Traders and variants, there are more American-built ships in game than any other nation.

Indiaman was initially slated to be based off the VOC ship Amsterdam, but the original plans weren't found and the replica is not based on the original design - the in-game Indiaman is based off an EIC ship built to a Swedish design.

The first page of that poll says 2 ships will be selected (Christian VII and Diana are vote leaders) and no wild card has been confirmed. I'd like to see Venus, but neither Venus nor Wasa have been confirmed.

The schooner brig Prince de Neufchatel has been indicated to be in development.

The US currently has Lynx (with it the Trader Lynx and Privateer), Brig (with it Trader's Brig and Navy Brig), Rattlesnake, Niagara, Essex (barring its capture by the British), and Constitution. Including Traders and variants, there are more American-built ships in game than any other nation.

Traders don't count imo because they are the exact same ship model.

thanks for the correctiong on my post

I have not count trader variants on purpose because that are the same ship, but different stats.

More ships are comming and the devs try to get more ships of nation which have only a few or none ships in game (as you can see on the last poll)

thanks for the correctiong on my post

I have not count trader variants on purpose because that are the same ship, but different stats.

More ships are comming and the devs try to get more ships of nation which have only a few or none ships in game (as you can see on the last poll)

I agree that each nation should have a good line of ships. It would be nice if we got to the point where each nation could use it's own ships and not ships of other nations.