Game-Labs Forum

[PvP1] June 26th, Pirate Scam/Scum at Kingston

Skully

June 26th, Pirate Scam/Scum at Kingston

Just as the sun was rising over the horizon, the Pirate captain looked at the southern Jamaican coastline coming up.

His mind was set on loot as he approach Kingston harbor. And the British were not paying attention. He easily sneaked into port with his Trader Lynx and moored up.

On the early market all was quite. The odd trade took place, but nobody was really looking for any workers.

Not really wanting to attract attention to himself the Pirate stepped into the market place regardless.

"Looking for work!" "Who needs something crafted?"

It payed off however, as he quickly was approach by a Rear Admiral in dire need of some cable and howsers.

"Okay, I can do that.", the Pirate replied.

"Here is 360 hemps and 120 ingots. Make me 480 cable and howsers and be quick about it.", the Brit grumbled.

With a gleam in his eye the Pirate captain accepted the goods and the Rear Admiral walked away.

"Quick boys, load up the goods, while I'll be getting us some rum for the trip back home."

And thus the Pirate stepped into the closest tavern.

20160626 Hold

"Where are my cables!?"

The Pirate looked up from his table. There was the Rear Admiral demanding his materials.

Quickly the Pirate captain made a run for it back to his ship, leaving a penny and a bottle of rum behind.

20160626 YourOffer

"Hey, don't be a hoser! It's too early in the day for that shit!"

As the Pirate ran to his ship and prepared to cast off.

With perfect timing the bells at Kingston went ringing.

"All ships, to Port Morrant, the French are attacking Les Cayes!"

As the Pirate Trader Lynx put up full sails, the British ships started leaving towards the east.

"Tata, matey, these goods will come in handy at Mortimer Town!"

Quickly sailing south-west the Lynx had no trouble reaching Pedro Cay shallows and quietly disappeared into the shadows.

--

No cabin boy alt was abused in the making of this story.

Edited by Skully
  • Like 7

Liked the Storys befor, but a scam is a scam. Nothing to be proud of

I think it depends on how we want to see Pirates behave in this game. Ripping of a Nation member is certainly considered griefing.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14651-sad-display-of-dutch-comradeship/(turned out to be a miscommunication)

The mechanics allow for this however. Although the bloke was surprised I could trade with him. He did have two opportunities to safeguard his goods:

1. Check my info. It clearly states I'm a Pirate Curse.
  2. Ask for collateral. That's how I do my trades.

The second however does require calculations and then we come back to the trading of crafting hours. How easy should it be? Or how hard?

Anyway I'll give you guys a little more insight, a part of calculation sheets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SHs731Q46bD3ZRwpvMY_MHpQwkC1POD-I65JQFdm1GM/edit#gid=594468731

It's not the same without the cabin boy.

Do you mean "It's not the same with the cabin boy."? If so, in that regard you are perfectly right. We did contemplate tossing the goods over to an alt, which meant that everything would be risk free from my part. However that I would consider lame and griefing myself. So I gave warning that I was about to undock and then ran for it.

The one thing I don't like is that you can use an alt in this story and I find no method to prevent or detect it. Unless the ship racing away gets captured. (We also need to fix the dumping of cargo at sea.)

But still then it is a hard case to prove. He could have just dumped the goods on the market.

Then again that almost equals handing over to an alt in terms of mechanics and end result. So I'm not even sure whether we should even try to close this gap.

At the end it took me 3 hours to complete the scam. I went from Il-a-Vache over the south end into Kingston. Waited an hour before deciding to lower the bait line. And then the French pulled Les Cayes, so I could not return to Il-a-Vache. Instead I had to sail to Bonacca.

All in all I do consider it an accomplishment, but not something a casual player (~2h/day) has the time to pull off.

Not sure if there is anything that can be done to change this though.

I wanted to see how "hard" it really is to sail all the way into enemy waters and out. Plus it gave me something to do while I was a bit bored over in the west. :)

Which brings me to my forsaken suggestion of bringing a mechanic in that allows folks to create a story.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14752-look-at-my-pretty/

(The White Programmer "dictates" the Red Troubleshooters mission, while the Game Master just needs to ensure the universe rules are not bend over. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_(role-playing_game):D )

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

June 26th, Pirate Scam/Scum at Kingston

Just as the sun was rising over the horizon, the Pirate captain looked at the southern Jamaican coastline coming up.

His mind was set on loot as he approach Kingston harbor. And the British were not paying attention. He easily sneaked into port with his Trader Lynx and moored up.

On the early market all was quite. The odd trade took place, but nobody was really looking for any workers.

Not really wanting to attract attention to himself the Pirate stepped into the market place regardless.

"Looking for work!" "Who needs something crafted?"

It payed off however, as he quickly was approach by a Rear Admiral in dire need of some cable and howsers.

"Okay, I can do that.", the Pirate replied.

"Here is 360 hemps and 120 ingots. Make me 480 cable and howsers and be quick about it.", the Brit grumbled.

With a gleam in his eye the Pirate captain accepted the goods and the Rear Admiral walked away.

"Quick boys, load up the goods, while I'll be getting us some rum for the trip back home."

And thus the Pirate stepped into the closest tavern.

"Where are my cables!?"

The Pirate looked up from his table. There was the Rear Admiral demanding his materials.

Quickly the Pirate captain made a run for it back to his ship, leaving a penny and a bottle of rum behind.

"Hey, don't be a hoser! It's too early in the day for that shit!"

As the Pirate ran to his ship and prepared to cast off.

With perfect timing the bells at Kingston went ringing.

"All ships, to Port Morrant, the French are attacking Les Cayes!"

As the Pirate Trader Lynx put up full sails, the British ships started leaving towards the east.

"Tata, matey, these goods will come in handy at Mortimer Town!"

Quickly sailing south-west the Lynx had no trouble reaching Pedro Cay shallows and quietly disappeared into the shadows.

--

No cabin boy alt was abused in the making of this story.

yo ho fidely, iam pyrate and do the buck i want 

+1 for taking the risk and scam Nationals in their own nationhub

and another +1 for makeing the run without being sunk

If you did this as a Pirate, and it was the Brit captains own lack of perception, well played. If you used an alt for this treachery, you need to be flogged and hanged... no ... that would be to lenient. You should be tied down in a chair and force read the entire twilight saga.

• Like 1