Game-Labs Forum

Idea to help with Nations owning the whole map.

I play on PVP 2 as French, and have since I started playing. There are huge swaths of the map owned by some nations meanwhile Spain/France/Sweden have one in most cases. This then drove most of the players to switch nations, thereby making it extremely difficult/Impossible for those of us still playing these nations to recapture ports.

Meanwhile I can sail all around the Antilles without a single problem, because the vast majority of these ports are not actually used by any of those nations players. I feel an easy solution would be that if no one from a ports owner nation Uses a port for lets say 5-10 days (just an arbitrary number for the sake of argument) than it should revert to neutral.

That way if the Pirates,USA, and Great Britain want to own the whole map they still can, but keeping way more ports than your nation uses would become a big hassle, as you would have to make sure to sail in and conduct some kind of activity to reset the timer.

Finally I think this would help bring players back to PVP 2 both to start rebuilding nations by taking newly reverted ports. At the same time more of the Giant nation players would log on to actually maintain their ports. Just an Idea,and sorry if its already been proposed. 

What means "using a port"? Is it as simple as teleport there and then teleport back?

What I meant by use is either crafting, harvesting resources from a building, and buying/selling/repairing ships. Just teleporting in would not be considered use. This would also be historically accurate as many settlements particularly on the Spanish main were abandoned and resettled multiple times. Even sold to other nations/banking houses when their ruling nation had no use, or could not afford to maintain them.

I'd rather just have some method for keeping a faction viable if it is on the ropes.  Colonial holdings shouldn't just be going rogue because a King's Ship hasn't put into harbor for a span.  

Being strangled for crafting resources is obviously the most detrimental part of losing all your ports.  Once cut off from required crafting resources building the naval assets to mount a counter attack becomes difficult to impossible.  In addition it creates a inhospitable environment for fostering new players.  The addition of smuggling alleviates some of the resourcing issues faced by a home port faction but you are now fair game for the less scrupulous members of your own faction in addition to having to ply the waters of opposing forces. 

Having an incontestable core group of national ports that can supply the important resources for crafting would reduce the possibility of a faction becoming non viable.  Another option could be an infusion of cheap resources into the home port economy if a faction is reduced to a single Port.  The reasoning being that the homeland is temporarily bolstering its flagging colonial interests.  

That said all of the above maybe unnecessary depending on the results of the future diplomacy and port battle functionality.

Edited by TheStarSlayer

OP has a valid argument that 'something' could be done to cause nations to consider carefully over-reaching their areas of influence and 'supply lines'. 

An influence counter or similar per port that slowly ticks down through lack of use/supply per real day etc. Perhaps as a nation each port costs 'x' support. the further away from a friendly major port the higher that maintenance ?  Definitely something that can be chewed over

You know that if there is noone around in your area to defend, you can just capture the ports back? You only need one, maybe two players to do this. And a bit of gold.

If it's about port holdings I mean.

Edited by Anolytic

You know that if there is noone around in your area to defend, you can just capture the ports back? You only need one, maybe two players to do this. And a bit of gold.

If it's about port holdings I mean.

And don't be stupid.  The bigiest thing that has been keeping some of the nations down is when told stay out of our newbie area's and traders in a certain zone they still come and attack them.  Yes I know that you can't get to all the players and not all of them will agree with cease fires or off limit zones, but hay it helps.   

I do think there should be some sort of ticker of influence or active governor for none starting ports.   This is ports we all started with for each nation.  Those ports should be able to easly capture back or revert back to the Nation they started with.  Even have a set time they revert back.  Like POTBS had an end of conflict and ports reverted back to original owners.  If it was a port you used ECON out of it was the first ports we captured when the map reset.   I'm pretty sure we will see something like this later on.