Game-Labs Forum

Four Days' Battle

SteelSandwich

• 2 weeks later...

After steel made this topic i have intended to make a video series based on exactly this topic for the four days battle(the video series is in 3 parts), so thank you to steel for doing the hard work of the research so that i dont have to xD anyways here is part 1:

• Like 4

Whereas i initially did not know how many shots the Dutch carried compared to the English, i have finally found that information.

The English were normally equipped with 40 shots per gun, with 10 being added on this occasion.

Several Dutch provision records show that the Dutch carried 60 shots per gun into battle, all be it some smaller ship carried slightly less due to capacity limits.

This would comply with the absence of any battle record mentioned ammunition shortage, as well as comply with the general Dutch principle of being properly stocked. Warships rarely left harbor with less than 4 month worth of provision, regardless of purpose.

To add to that:

The use of the double prinsflag held no specific meaning and was purely used decorative.

• 3 weeks later...

Today i found some very interesting information; the amount of canons which bursted in the action.

6acb97b9507dcbe136c9cc78ef2cba6c.png071ee8044a900342c3cbf7168cf68baa.png

The first column indicates the Admirality, the second column shows the total amount of canons and the third column showns the quantity that bursted.

A nice little additional piece of information :)

• 10 months later...