Teleporting/sending ships or sailing?

Teleport/Send ships or Not?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Sailing everything?

• I want some kind of teleport or send a ship to an outpost
    • Ships have to be sailed to outposts
    • I don't care actually
  2. 2. Teleport vs. sending ships

• I want to keep the current system (ship-teleport after battle)
    • There should be a cooldown/time until it's available again or some costs of a ship-teleport (Maybe like cargo-delivery now)
    • A ship can be sent to an outpost, but it sails on OW and can be lost this way
    • No teleport/ sending ships at all (like first question)

• 2 weeks later...

I believe any deliveries from players, be it cargo or ships, should be visible in OW and labeled with the players name. If ships are allowed to be delivered, then it should a be a skeleton crew manning it, perhaps maybe with an option of marines...

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

I know how I play the game. I know how me clannies play the game.  Convenience & fun is sometimes more important than realism. More true in a game that spans a vast distance and moving assets can be very time consuming.

Assuming we can form AI fleets and crew as many ships as we are willing to dilute our total crew, I don't see a reason why sailing the ships to the outpost is bad from a gameplay perspective. You make one trip with the ships you want to move to the new outpost, and done. In addition, the lack of teleporting ships from the battle end screen would open new markets for crafters. Currently, almost all crafting is done in the capital, with the biggest notable exception that I've seen being freeports on the Florida coast (seriously, who in their right mind stays any longer in Charleston than they have to?). Crafters can move from the capital to freeports around the map and begin plying their trade with new markets and less competition. With no teleporting of ships, I'd definitely pay a bit more to buy a ship in Tumbado than spend the time sailing it there from Mortimer. That requires the traders and crafters to leave the nest first though.

It's this that worries me the most. AI fleets were BAAAAD. SUPER BAAAAD!

They were in the past, to the point where I stopped using them because they sank me (by ram) more often than appreciably helped against other AI when I was learning the game. I'm hoping that if AI fleets are back however, that it comes with a collision avoidance update to leave a hefty "safe" distance between each other and allied players on the fleet AI's part. I'm also concerned about the impact to single-ship combats in OW along with privateering and commerce raiding, but I'd like to test first before making my mind up on whether it's desirable for gameplay.

Don't you think we should at least play test the no teleport thing for a week or two before making this decisions?

I personally don't really need to. In fact I can tell you exactly what I would do, because it's the same thing I do when an outpost has full ships, or the ship I captured has more goods than my attack ship can carry.

I would hunt close to the outpost port, capping whatever is convenient.

I would after a capture return to port, I mostly do this to save $$ on repair kits and reduce cargo risk now.

I would break the ship I don't want to constituent parts (Labor hours are expensive, so the "free" hours of getting already constructed materials is worth more than the gold of selling.)

I would use the deliveries system when I have enough items to justify sending them to the closest outpost to my capital. Often I will simply include 3 spaces of broken materials with a heavy shipment of logs or something.

Log on in the morning when nobody is likely to be hunting the run from outpost to capital.

AFK sail to the town or nearby coast while I have a shower.

Dock, unload, break up transport ship.

The only thing that might change is how often I fight at the relay outpost.  Now I don't do that very often, its the one that gets sent all the magical TP ships.

I would much rather they flesh out player ordered AI on the water, and do away with both capture TP AND Deliveries, and force every product to sail from A->B.

The change would be that I would send all ships to my closest port, and before logging off issue the transport order in the same place in my cycle I issue the deliveries order now.  

But at least that way the cargo would be at some risk for the trip.

• Like 1

They were in the past, to the point where I stopped using them because they sank me (by ram) more often than appreciably helped against other AI when I was learning the game. I'm hoping that if AI fleets are back however, that it comes with a collision avoidance update to leave a hefty "safe" distance between each other and allied players on the fleet AI's part. I'm also concerned about the impact to single-ship combats in OW along with privateering and commerce raiding, but I'd like to test first before making my mind up on whether it's desirable for gameplay.

Yep, sorry when I said BAAAD, I didn't mean the AI mechanics were bad, though they were, they ware bad in the sense that they turned a PVP fight into a long drawn out PVP/PVE fight, and I'm only interested in battling other players.  I did after all join a PVP server.

In terms of privateer and pirating, you had first to deal with the player ship, then spend another 20-30 mins dealing with the annoying AI.  Not being a drama queen, but I know if this type of situation returns, I for one will drift away from the game. When they got rid of AI reinforcements the last time, it was a day to rejoice. The thought of returning to those dark times doesn't enthuse me!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, sorry when I said BAAAD, I didn't mean the AI mechanics were bad, though they were, they ware bad in the sense that they turned a PVP fight into a long drawn out PVP/PVE fight, and I'm only interested in battling other players.  I did after all join a PVP server.

In terms of privateer and pirating, you had first to deal with the player ship, then spend another 20-30 mins dealing with the annoying AI.  Not being a drama queen, but I know if this type of situation returns, I for one will drift away from the game. When they got rid of AI reinforcements the last time, it was a day to rejoice. The thought of returning to those dark times doesn't enthuse me!

Just a Pirate's view. From a trader's/merchant's view it looks completely different.

This past weekend we captured x2 Pavels directly off the British capital at KPR. To be fair I don't think we should have been able to do this. The British waters were thick with British ships. Just none that made the initial two minute timer. If it weren't for the teleports those two British captains would have had a chance to get their ships back. Assuming we didn't sink it. But I do think the teleportation after battle is actually removing some aspect of PvP.

I would propose a new system.

Let players teleport their ships from out post to out post freely. Just remove the after battle teleports. Then if we captured a British Pavell and wanted to keep it we would have to fight to get it out of British waters. Once back at a player owned outpost it could be teleported.

Edited by Bach

This past weekend we captured x2 Pavels directly off the British capital at KPR. To be fair I don't think we should have been able to do this. The British waters were thick with British ships. Just none that made the initial two minute timer. If it weren't for the teleports those two British captains would have had a chance to get their ships back. Assuming we didn't sink it. But I do think the teleportation after battle is actually removing some aspect of PvP.

Let players teleport their ships from out post to out post freely. Just remove the after battle teleports. Then if we captured a British Pavell and wanted to keep it we would have to fight to get it out of British waters. Once back at a player owned outpost it could be teleported.

You are condoning revenge fleets, when there is an entire movement to figure out how to stop them.  Some would continue them however, it sounds like you are in that camp?

Teleporting ships from port to port is very bad idea. Its already stupid as it is now with revenge minded people basically getting a free kill on you after your battle because they just keep teleporting ahead of you till they eventually get you.

At least the sending ship via teleport lets you get ine ship out . Maybe the option should be you can only send the attacking ship back but still that sacrifices a ship to revenge fleets who do nothing but sit in port all day waiting to gangbang people playing.

If they removed allowing captians to teleport then im ok with removing the option to teleport ships back after capture but as it is now this game is just about gangbangers killing guys who enter combat.

I don't see where revenge fleets are a problem and I spend nearly every PvP hour at enemy capital areas.

Let's walk thru this....

Case 1 = ship can teleport.

We cap a Pavel in a group of smaller ships right off the British capital. We teleport the Pavel across the map to a safe PVE base. Hop out of battle in our light fast ships and sail away from the British ships that have fruitlessly amassed for revenge/defense of their home waters. Now the revenge oriented Brits might teleport ahead to Port Morant if I'm moving East. If I don't plan for this they might get me but most likely i won't really sail directly past PMorant anyway. I'm going to win this situation and walk away with everything 9 times out of 10.

Case 2 = ship can't teleport

We cap a Pavel in a group of smaller ships right off the British capital. Now we have to make a choice. Do we want to try to keep this Pavel or just sink it and move on? Let's say we choose to cap it. Now we have to get it out of the area. We could just wait on the screen and move at low pop time. In which case the Pavel captain just bought the port a few hours of pirate relief with his ship. We could send out a diversionary force in hope of fooling the British or engaging them to allow the Pavel to slip away unnoticed. We could start carrying enough repairs and med kits to use the Pavel in combat and fight our way out. The options now become varied and even if the Bts attempt revenge it's not like we can't plan for that. My odds of winning this situation are much lower than 90%. Especially depending on the minds of the British commanders I am facing. This is now a thinking battle and much less of a push this button one.

Who cares if the Brits attempt to make revenge fleets? Nothing is stopping them from doing that now and they do try. About the only difference is I don't get their Pavel dura as easily without the teleports. But with a little planning ahead I still can or maybe they will succeed. It's more of a chess game when we can't just push the teleport ship button.

Edited by Bach

• 1 month later...

I would like to see a delay on all ship teleports.  The game already has a 'Delivery' option for materials, if we had the same thing for ships it would stop the instant transfer of ships.

This would apply to all ship teleports - whether back to capital, or via capture.  It would also level the playing field a little to limit those with different nation alts who attack their alt to be able to teleport ships.

Part 2.

If there is a delivery time to mimic OW, then there should be a risk the ship could be intercepted.  The way this could be implemented is a forced mission to safely deliver the ship.  That mission can occur at any time - but the ship remains in transit until you complete that mission successfully - if you fail, you fail and lose the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

All ships should be sailed everywhere, its a Navy ship sim, not STAR TREK :lol:

is it a navy ship sim ... if it is its pretty poor  all you can do is turn and rise and drop sails not an in depth sim at all ......its a war game and wouldn't work if you had to sail two hours to transport a warship to the jump off point for a port battle ...can take over an hour to get a fleet assembled as it is ... no teleporting would stop the battles that make this game enjoyable ...

also if you dont like the teleporting system and want to immerse yourself in the game by sailing everywhere ...that option is still open and available to you