Game-Labs Forum

Real Life nationalities influencing game politics

Æthlstan

Im going to be extremely vague about this as I do not want this post to turn into a drama fest.

Recently I asked someone if they knew why X faction didnt attack Y faction.

The answer? Because a lot of the players in those two factions share the same nationality.

Maybe I have too American of a perspective on this, but I dont see how real life nationality matters. On PvP2, the americans are really into virtually murdering each other.

Move to PvP1, and tons of Americans dont even play the United States, and dont even think about Americans on the other team as a basis for diplomacy, much less as a reason to pull punches.

Is there a culture insight into the Old World that I am missing?

Well that is not true we dutchies have treaties with the swedes and american and are friendly towards the british and before the 2nd Franco-Dutch war we had an treaty with the Frogs. so what you is not true myth busted

Edited by pietjenoob

Drama free post. This counts as drama.

Look dude im not talking about the dutch. We have a sizable amount of dutch players in France and we are at war with the dutch last I heard.

Myth? Not a myth. This is straight from the mouth of one of the nations diplos.

Stop assuming everything I care about involves your faction. I couldnt care less about the dutch and swedish. I dont even care about the current war

Edited by Æthlstan
  • Like 1

Not sure i understand what you are on about, this is my take:

I think that the problem that you are running into right now is not one that the devs can fix with any ingame mechanic.

It's pretty easy. Us humans like to categorise everything around us, including other humans. It helps us understand the world. For example: Instead of seeing a 'object' you can see a wooden table, wich has certain properties and characteristics. This speeds up your thought proces and allows us to not go friking insane. 

To the point: Everyone has preconceptions, if you aware of it or not. We judge groups of people every day. I mean the fact that you are talking about nationals not liking other nationals is that exact thing.There is nothing wrong with liking or disliking a certain nation because of the people in it, especially not in a game. Having friends and rivels only makes the game more fun. (Altho it's healthy, for the sake of NN and our sanity, to realise that we are all not that different after all.)

This is something that will never change, it's simply part of being a human, for some a little more then for others. 

My point is, (fictional example) people from Zimbabwe (no offense to any people from Zimbabwe) who play Naval Action play as Nation X and Nation Y.

Nation X and Nation Y are always allies because most of their population is made up of people from Zimbabwe.

get it? I dont expect this to be something the devs can fix, im just curious why people play like that. As I said, from an american perspective, your real life nationality means nothing in the world of Video Games. 

Do you know the term Metagaming? Its when you allow stuff outside the game to affect stuff inside the game. Thats what 2 factions on pvp1 are doing. Theyll never attack each other because their populations are both largely from one real life country.

This isnt a hate post. This isnt a drama post. I just dont understand. It has a huge impact on other nations strategies. I cant go more in depth than that without giving it away. Strategically, it doesnt make sense for Nation X to be allied with nation Y because it causes problems for Nation X. Again, not going into details. All this just because most players in the 2 nations are from zimbabwe.

Why does shared REAL LIFE nationality matter?

As I explained, it doesnt matter to Americans online.

Edited by Æthlstan

English-speaking players are almost everywhere, so naturally they expect to fight other english-speaking players -  whereas those who use other languages probably have a greater propensity towards cooperating across nations simply due to their scarcity. At least that's my take on it.

But yeah, out-of-game reasons make for rather dull diplomacy since things are unlikely to ever change. And that's how you end up with endless alliances, endless wars and whatnot.

My take on it (I think?) is that cultural heritage - as well as the drive for sex and money - seem to dominate most things in life, including it seems, MMOW gaming.  However, we Americans claim to be a melting pot and enjoy touting our individuality moreso than most.  I for one am a Polish-German-Sicilian American who used to live in Greektown, and now I'm playing a French player in a clan with Aussies.  I don't care who it is if engagement in the game is ultimately fun.  Love there to be more women in the game, but oh well.  Perhaps others simply have a greater need to identify with their culture.  Don't knock it, the loyalty is admirable IMO.  If you think it detracts from the game, I think you will find it to be less detracting when the game is released and large/larger numbers play for all sorts of clans and factions.  ;)

Edited by Jean Ribault

A freebooter is a citizen of the world ! Can move anywhere and everywhere with grace, elegance and, above all, with a clean conscience that his heart will remain immaculately black.

• Like 1

As I explained, it doesnt matter to Americans online.

I do not think is an "old-worlder" vs "new-worlded" diference....    more a language/cultural barrier and a numbers situation calling gregarious human instincts....

Most people are much more confident speaking in his mother language , even if capable of speaking another,  english language speakers as you are a really big  % of gaming population  , (and english is spoken by a big number of  non-english)  so for you this issue is of much less importance....but for other languages it is uncommmon having a community speaking in his mother tongue....so natural bonds are created

Alliances can be made for the same absurd reasons war can be made, so it doesn't realy matter why nations are allied. Like true hippies free men, as pirates, we should strive for a unified peace in the carribean...

Indeed ! B)

• Like 1