Game-Labs Forum

Food supplies - advanced warning

I think everyone is misunderstanding, it wont be another thing to micromanage, it will be part of the base cost of a ship, when you craft a ship in the recipe there are the provisions included so it is literally a one time do and forget thing.

I understand, but why not add ammo to this list? Buy and forget. 

Could you refill your suplies capturing an enemy npc or player ship?

• Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew

I don't think so, I think It will be one time thing when building a ship. Use and forget. Maybe food can drop from killed NPCs same as wood or hemp.

• Like 1

This increases crafting complexity.

So can we nuke the indescribably absurd carriage requirements now, since they were obviously just an anti-inflationary measure to begin with?

By weight, cost and labor hours, carriages are like 60% of shipbuilding. That's freaking nuts.

• Like 3

well if that the case, why not just make it

• Food supplies will be added to ship crafting blueprints
  • The amount of food supplies will be based on ship max possible crew

I don't think so, It will be one time thing when building a ship. Maybe food can drop from killed NPCs.

So crafter make the ship... without the provisions

buyer buy the ship, then buy the provisions right after, a one shot deal and for the rest of the life of the ship...

Too me that a bit useless, might as well make ship more expensive to start with... It basically a drain to remove money form buyers

i think it`s either something you should  tinkle with, as in buy as much as you want for your voyage, or not included.

if we are looking for opportunity for crafter and money sink, why not make the health kit something craftable and just use that mechanic for the provisions....

Edited by ulysse77

This increases crafting complexity.

So can we nuke the indescribably absurd carriage requirements now, since they were obviously just an anti-inflationary measure to begin with?

By weight, cost and labor hours, carriages are like 60% of shipbuilding. That's freaking nuts.

You are right, it's not that hard to build a carriage in real life. It's just few wooden blocks and wheels. 

carriage_navel2.jpg

I understand, but why not add ammo to this list? Buy and forget. 

I think that should just be added as well imho, but this thread isnt about that.

Assuming I understand this right, what happens if you run out of provisions? Do you lose crew? Does loading excess provisions have any downside?

Read my comment 2 posts above yours.

To me there seems to be little gain in renaming the placeholder that absorbs the ship's cost - be it "carriages" "furnishings" or "food".

If we want to include running costs for ships (and I'm not 100% sure it'll be fun) I'd rather see this done fully fledged - buy food (+perhaps powder, ball, rope..) in ports to reset the "days at sea" counter and at the extreme end of neglect crew dying/mutiny, proper placement of cargo in your hold ..

• Like 6

this is going to be a game changer 

i always after 6 days at sea getting nervous,

maybe also moral penalty after food supplies are empty or after rationing

Wont' happen. The Supplies last for the entire lifetime of the ship. They are a integral part of the ship blueprint. They can never end (afaik ).

I am disappointed to see this as a one time thing that you include in the crafting process and then you're good to go, in this state it adds nothing to the game beside adding more stuff to produce and more materials to put into the crafting of the ship, beside this it adds nothing interesting from my point of view.

Still theoretically possible to stay at seas for weeks and weeks with repair kits fully loaded and some more into the cargo hold,  doing battles after battles or harassing the enemies coasts for days using unlimited powder and ammos and unlimited food, logout at seas one day, repeat the next day and able to repeat this for weeks until you get sunk, no need to care about anything, no need to dock after some times to resupply powder and ammos, no need to manage the load of food you want to bring with you for long planned travel or shorter patrols trips ( and the extra weight it will add on ships for long trips, or at contrary the speed gain on smaller trips ), same for powder and ammos that remains unlimited for warships .... while traders fully loaded, empty or carrying only one unit of French wine bottles have the same speed and a big disadvantage in comparison to warships and them unlimited supplies.

I understand some don't like much the micro managements, but this could be simplified and not a big deal, instead it seems to be added just for cosmetics, it brings nothing into gameplay from my point of view if i understood correctly how it will work sadly, will be like adding tons of furnishings on ships that we can't see as most of them are inside the ships itself .

• Like 6

You are right, it's not that hard to build a carriage in real life. It's just few wooden blocks and wheels. 

carriage_navel2.jpg

And the 'hawsers and cables' required are actually just normal ropes, not eight-inch thick monsters like the actual hawsers and cables.

im utterly confused....

So this will be

-a component on the blueprint, like carriage

-wil be craftable

-will also be a ressource from port

-wont deplete in time

What gameplay element does this add, other then another another layer for crafters. If we just want to make ship more expensive, just add some kind of tax to the crafter, that will be passed down to the ship buyer...

• Like 5

Yeah i would rather see it done properly, in other games you had to buy food, munitions and much more to run the ship or army, it wouldnt be that bad like mount and blade and having multiple varieties of food to keep up morale and happiness amoung the crew to avoid mutiny and desertion, fresh stocks vs stale or rotten, having to have friendly ports, alliances or even native villages to resupply and keep the troop running, i hope its done right the first time then it wont be a thing to worry about further in development, gather ideas from many games and create the best strategy, same with munitions, crafting different types of ammo just like POTBS, would just add more depth to crafting and allow people to make different forms of provisions and munitions and another means on income that can be transferred between ships.

• Like 1

I think its kinda dull because exploration ships or any ships on a long term voyage will not go through harsh food conditions. No need to fish or scavenge nearby islands to stay alive during desperate times.

But I guess maybe I'm in the minority? IMO I would rather have provisions management over the crew management feature in the game.

I'm not a big historian, but i guess the travel conditions you refer to predate the time period of naval action to intercontinental travel, we're already past that and have a lot of ports built and operational and as the devs researced ships had provisions for months, and as these are commonly available supplies there's no reason to add other micromanagement for it.

The problem with trying to make this "not" a one-time only thing is this:  What happens when you provision a ship, use it a few times, and then TP somewhere else and use a different ship?  It starts to get weird when some aspects of crewing/supplying stays "persistent" and some doesnt.  I "believe" the point of this is to be another money-sink for the economy, not necessarily a "oh shit, my crew is about to starve so I need to run to the nearest port even though there is a juicy target in front of me" type of thing.  Whether one way or the other is better, I cannot say.

I have to admit, i am dissapointed to see you went for a "no life time strategy" . Players where affraid for micro management, but then again it would have made boarding players so much more unique. Board to survive, buy to survive. One of the goals of this game was to make us captains feel we are in that age of sails again.

I feel with this iteration of this feature you are missing the boat sorta say , as food was crucial back then and now it has been made dull by the looks of it.

I will offcourse test it fully and enjoy it, but it is far from what i expected.

• Like 1

The problem with trying to make this "not" a one-time only thing is this:  What happens when you provision a ship, use it a few times, and then TP somewhere else and use a different ship?  It starts to get weird when some aspects of crewing/supplying stays "persistent" and some doesnt.  I "believe" the point of this is to be another money-sink for the economy, not necessarily a "oh shit, my crew is about to starve so I need to run to the nearest port even though there is a juicy target in front of me" type of thing.  Whether one way or the other is better, I cannot say.

Make provisions have a lifetime, you have xxx members of crew, each crew member consumes xxx food per day, for one day at sea you need xxx food for all those, food have xxx lifetime, food have a xxx weight impacting your speed.

You plan to stay 2 weeks at seas you load food accordingly, your speed gets impacted according to the food loaded, you plan to do a 3 days patrol you bring less food, less impact on speed etc ... 

Ship is docked, crew is drinking and having relaxing times in land and not use any food , if the ship is not used for xxx days food will be rotten and you will have to buy some more when taking out the ship .

Ship is at seas and consumes food ...

• Like 2

Great another thing that will eat valuable labor hours. How often will i have to refill these provisions? Seeing as i only have x amount of time to play and actually want to find some action during that time outside the port

Do we have to keep paying for provisions after paying for them as part of building a ship? 

It seems to me that you are saying a built ship will only last 6 months or so and that means that 6 months of provisions can be paid for upon building the ship.... making the ship provisioned and ready and permanently provisioned from the get go.

Make provisions have a lifetime, you have xxx members of crew, each crew member consumes xxx food per day, for one day at sea you need xxx food for all those, food have xxx lifetime, food have a xxx weight impacting your speed

Ship is docked, crew is drinking and having relaxing times in land and not use any food , if the ship is not used for xxx days food will be rotten and you will have to buy some more when taking out the ship .

Ship is at seas and consumes food ...

That seems a little too complex; I would not want to buy food supply for ships I'm not using or for time I'm not logged on, but buying food prior to sailing for the expected days I may be at sea, outside of battle, could be interesting.

.  I "believe" the point of this is to be another money-sink for the economy, not necessarily a "oh shit, my crew is about to starve so I need to run to the nearest port even though there is a juicy target in front of me" type of thing.  Whether one way or the other is better, I cannot say.

I understand the reasoning, They mentionned in the other thread, and historically that the price of maintaining was much more then the price of building a ship. But when you tie the two together then there`s really no difference. Price of ship will just skyrocket. But then again i bet most crafter are crafting for themselves, very few do just to sell (AFAIK). So this will just become a false feature.

I think some mechanic were they "operator" of the ship pay for the maintenance not the "builder" which will just pass the expense down, if he build it for someone else.

one way or another, either a automatic withdrawl each time he leave port based on the number of days it was at sea. OR actual supply. If like I  mentionned ealier would work like the repair kit, You would buy supply for x days at sea. those supply could have a cargo weight. and after you depleted your supply your amount of crew available would deplete. Now you can make the upper limits of days at sea so high that you wouldn`;t habe to get back for maybe 20 hours of real life.

Edited by ulysse77