Game-Labs Forum

Gun Sloops and Gun Yawls.

Eyeless_Camper

So will there be any gun sloops and/or gun yawls in the game in the future? 

It would surely be the best ship that everyone would want to use for sure.  :D

Its different kinds of gunboats designed by Fredrik Henrik af Chapman for the Swedish navy.

Two variants were the most common, a larger 20 m (66 ft) "gun sloop" (from the Swedish kanonslup) with two 24-pounders, one in the stern and one in the bow, and a smaller 15 m (49 ft) "gun yawl" (kanonjolle) with a single 24-pounder. 

A picture of a gun yawl model.

1280px-Decked_kanonjolle1.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Yeah, kind of like the gunboat Philadelphia, which took one 24lb cannon ball to sink.  I'd prefer something with a little more reserve buoyancy.

"In sea trials of the replica Philadelphia II, the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum determined that the boat was not particularly maneuverable: contemporary accounts of sailing the vessels include reports that the gondolas skipped across the waters of the lake, blown by the wind, and needed safe shelter when winds were high." (From Wikipedia).

Not sure what strategies I could use for such a boat. Maybe ram the stern of a slow ship and hope the 24 pounder detonates the gun powder or load the boat itself with explosives and see what unlucky fella crosses my path. B)

• Like 2

OTmatt historically hordes of small gun boats - usually very small craft with one cannon. Were used to protect harbours.

A famous example of them winning is when the Philadelphia ran aground in Tripoli harbour North Africa. Because she could not move

gunboats just sat away from her broadside and pounded away.

In large numbers they are hard to hit and can actually out gun a larger ship with there total broadside.

That is why I would suggest that some ports have fleets of these vessels that the AI can deploy to deter a frigate waltzing in to a harbour.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Gunboat_battle_near_Alv%C3%B8en_Norway.jpg

Gunboat_battle_near_Alvøen_Norway

Gunboat_battle_near_Alv%C3%B8en_Norway.j

• Like 1

With the current wave and shooting mechanics boats with less than 4 cannons are extremely hard to aim. By the time you spent you tracking shot guns you will have no loaded guns left. 

Can't agree more with this statement. Even in moderate seas the aiming can be tricky with the small ships. Most of the time I end up 'estimating' range and firing a full broadside.

Which is how it should be for small ships on the open sea. Ships with small numbers of guns are interesting because they place a real premium on gunnery skill. You better either be a great shot, get in close, or run.

Personally, I think gunboats and other small vessels could be an interesting dynamic if handled somewhat separately from normal player ship progression, possibly as a mix of AI-only boats and boats that could be taken for free by players, but only used within a limited range of a major port. Could be an interesting way to add another layer to port defense. They could also play an interesting role in battles that are limited to smaller ships (e.g. a Great Lakes-type battle).

• Like 1

A gunboat can be destroyed by about any kind of caliber.

Their sole porpose is to carry a huge cannon and provide assistance fire.

So they are build to withstand the recoil of the gun. nothing more.

They are not seaworhty and have no armor.

in potbs they were 100% useless. They were a gimmic. Maybe even a false feature?

I can only see such tiny boats as a cheap upgrade to any kind of coastal defence

in potbs they were 100% useless. They were a gimmic. Maybe even a false feature?

Not surprised since PotBS didn't have a real damage model. Who cares about a single 32-pd ball when you have juju magic?

Gunboats would also be an interesting way to experiment with player control of AI ships, with a single player controlling a group of gunboats. They make little sense for anything other than playing around at a ratio of 1 player to 1 boat.

They are not seaworhty and have no armor.

To be clear, no ship in game "has armor", and viewed in those terms a gunboat only has incrementally less "armor" than, say, a schooner.

How many shots are needed to destroy such gun boat?

None, really.  Having no decks below they were hosed down with grapeshot and musket-ball fire from the swivels, killing their crews (but saving the valuable guns).

Literally like shooting fish in a barrel. 

However I'm all for adding them to AI-controlled coastal defences, if only to give the swivels something to do while the ship's guns get to work on the fort behind them.

None, really. Having no decks below they were hosed down with grapeshot and musket-ball fire from the swivels, killing their crews (but saving the valuable guns).

Literally like shooting fish in a barrel.

However I'm all for adding them to AI-controlled coastal defences, if only to give the swivels something to do while the ship's guns get to work on the fort behind them.

Why would a gunboat ever be in musket range? They are the snipers huddling on a ridgeline, taking aimed shots with heavy weapons. If you approach, they retreat to safety (shallow water, forts, rivers etc).

Admittedly, one heavy frigate is worth many gunboats. But a few 32-lb gunboats are a match for the likes of Lynx, or even a larger brig. I want to experience the whole range of naval combat, and small vessels of mixed roles make dramatically more interesting gameplay. Haven't you all read the chapter about gunboats in Master and Commander?

Not to mention, current sea trials prove that the cutter can survive broadsides from Victory due to small size and low hull, even at point blank range.

• Like 1