Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.83 Patch notes

admin

I agree Marines should always be prepared.  That is their job.  Especially if you have an exceptional Marines mod.  Otherwise, what is the point of the different level mods?  Just Crew Percentage?  You already pay a penalty on the guns just having these guys standing around having them Prepare for boarding Should be automatic when the distance between 2 ships begins to close Under 25 m.

remember that crew on boarding crew focus is very vulnerable to grape if you shoot at top decks. 

marines fight well

but you still have to get the grapples, planks, ladders out. 

The bigger issue is it now requires even more crew if you run a marine loadout. So if you run gold marines on a stock Connie that's 225 men on marine duty doing nothing. Now you have to turn on prep, that's more men on top of the marines to prep, when only the marines should be preparing, not your other sailors.

Effectively the marines do nothing, but wait until regular sailors get the grapples, planks and ladders.

Edited by Rabman

Yes. Ingermanland was 6300 base hp on the sides, and Connie 6800. Both 70cm armour thickness.

Okay, that got nerfed to 65 then. Patch notes are a bit misleading, it looks like only thickness was changed and armor hp wasn't.

Edited by Quineloe

Admin,

Many thanks for the timely Patch note. Great  Job.

As the game is developing to a more mature state now, you really should say and print a specific change. You can't  just say...adjusted and "Tweaked" a couple of things...

I played EVE Online for years etc and I understand the need for not showing figures. We as Captain's must research and discover... 

But I believe you should say reduce Rattlesnake by 2 points added 1 point to Victory etc.

The large amount of excel adjustments to be made and tested in just the small phrases is daunting. 

But you may disagree, its part of the game.. bit like life...?

keep up the good work

Norfolk nChance

• Like 1

What's new:

• Boarding upgrade - Marines - no longer gives insta preparation. The speed of reaching 50 now depends on your marines %. 

Yet, if the marines do no other job, save being on-the-ready at all times, shouldn't the number of the marines you have immediately count toward the prep points needed to board...50? Maybe the magic 50 number should change based on ship rate?...say 50 for 6th rates and below, 60 for 5th and 4th rate, 70 for 2nd and 3rd rates, and 80 for 1st rates....

I could see this change being needed if the marines also helped in sailing and gunnery (which historically they did), however since they do nothing but sit and waste space, imho i think they should be auto-counted toward the prep # needed.

Love the rest of the updates!

Yet, if the marines do no other job, save being on-the-ready at all times, shouldn't the number of the marines you have immediately count toward the prep points needed to board...50? Maybe the magic 50 number should change based on ship rate?...say 50 for 6th rates and below, 60 for 5th and 4th rate, 70 for 2nd and 3rd rates, and 80 for 1st rates....

I could see this change being needed if the marines also helped in sailing and gunnery (which historically they did), however since they do nothing but sit and waste space, imho i think they should be auto-counted toward the prep # needed.

Love the rest of the updates!

Maybe have the Marines contribute, but only at half rate.  For example, it take 2 marines to do the job of 1 crew member.  So you would have say 200 crew and 50 marines on cannon duty, but marines only count as 25 crew.  Same for sailing.

I like the change to marines because they were OP. Historically the main function was for landing parties and internal security

Ordinary sailors were very effective fighters - often more so than marines because they were physically stronger (through constant exercise) and confident in clambering around and between ships using ropes etc. They were also very enthusiastic fighters (tho' nations varied). Even ashore a party of sailors sometimes swarmed up and over fortifications while the marines were still forming up. 

any ship that dares to sail into close combat should have marines on em. Every warship back in the day had marins on em so should you. You get boarded its your fault entirely not the games mechanics.  You get boarded and have no marins and cant survive till you can break away again its your fault for not having marines!

ps. Don't nerf marines, again, pls!

any ship that dares to sail into close combat should have marines on em. Every warship back in the day had marins on em so should you. You get boarded its your fault entirely not the games mechanics.  You get boarded and have no marins and cant survive till you can break away again its your fault for not having marines!

ps. Don't nerf marines, again, pls!

Only problem with this is how good marines upgrades are only from random and lucky drops ... The day they will allow us to craft marines upgrades i will agree, for now due to the rarity of best marines upgrades available this is not true.

• Like 3

Did this change to marines actually do anything though? Now all you have to do is actually hit '9' to start boarding prep, and the marines will then be ready to board and none of the crew will have to be sacrificed, so the only thing that changed is having to start the boarding prep which you can just do at the start of battle, or when you think you'll board because with the marines to takes like 20 sec to be ready. Or am i missing something here?

The leak thing needs some tweaks, or the crew requirements to repair a leak and using the pump have to be decreased...

Leaks were 6 units per second

After nerf the become 4 per second - people said they become useless

we made them 5 ;)

please report on the penetration of lineships :)

and heavy ships like constitution

is it working now and not impossible to penetrate any more? 

Overall Much better  , demasting need some testing

much better or perfect?

• Like 1

Leaks were 6 units per second

After nerf the become 4 per second - people said they become useless

we made them 5 ;)

I wonder if leak strength could be based on vertical distance from the bottom -- right at the bottom = 10 units per second, a little over the waterline = 1 unit per second (higher than that = not a leak). All leaks would be from 1-10 based on location then. Trying to get the deepest leak possible could be worth it but you risk splashing more rounds uselessly into the water.

(Physics-wise, I'm thinking we're representing a leak that is always underwater and always spewing high pressure water versus a hole higher up that goes in and out of the water based on the motion of the ship and waves)

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 2

i tried the grape shot the lateral, and only got betwen 7 -9-10- 11 , a legross in my Connie. Its correct or i do something wrong?? all armor of legross its down

Remember you are still shooting through the Hull... When you shoot through the stern after the first volley there is nothing in the way at deck level.. your just firing down a tube of wood.

What's new:

• Boarding upgrade - Marines - no longer gives insta preparation. The speed of reaching 50 now depends on your marines %. 

Whoah! Hey! Whoah!

I didn't give yer permissison to nerf maraines! besides, ye gotta get rid of that little part where it says ye have preparation, when ye do not

PAGAN PETE IS FURIOUS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

My GOLD marines and GOLD boarding parties just lost a fight to an AI trade cutter in my trade lynx.

GOLD upgrades,… and I lost! With 100 prep from me… Pagan Pete.
This isn't a nerf… its a downright Deletion of boarding mods!!  :o They are useless now! 

(yeah, Im So ticked off, I'm not even playing right now)

• Like 1

defender is given 25 prep always no matter what

maybe its not enough - not sure

but if you see someone plans to board you you can also prepare by switching on boarding

I still don't get why is the defender given free preps -no matter what- while the attacker (the guy planning to fight and taking initiative) is starting with 0?

• Like 1

please report on the penetration of lineships  :)

and heavy ships like constitution

is it working now and not impossible to penetrate any more? 

--------

Much better or perfect?

Dame near perfect... For both armour and mast.

And this is coming from a sceptic. 

Tested extensively with 'Victory today doing Curse Order missions' & for the first time in ages I can feel, & indeed see, the direction you guys are now heading in. 

Battles around the 350m - 250m is pretty much the new meta for ranged engagements. Which is fine, very comfortable distance for ranged shots.

Victory using all Long 12's approx 250m -

Targeting the top masts at this range is very effective. Even with Long 12's against 3rd Rates / St Pavel's.

Taking down lower mast on the 3rd Rates at 250m with Long 12's was still very doable. The St Pavel on the other hand proved to be a much tougher process for the Long 12's even as close as 150m / 100m.

So much so I had to disengage from the St Pavel. I simply run out of broadside armor.

Victory using 2x deck of Long 24's & Long 12's approx 250m -

Nothing really changed for the 3rd Rate maybe the process for a complete demast was quicker overall. The reload on the Long 24s coupled with missed shots on the lower mast may have negated their extra pen value.

Which is a good thing...

The St Pavel on the other hand felt very different. The Long 24s made a world of difference on mast shots. Top masts still came down just as easily but the lower mast... I could tell the Long 24s were making the difference. 

Within 25min both ships were demasted.

Overall impression of 9.82 -

Much closer to what I think is a pretty decent end game model for damage. I am sure there will still be tweaking here and there but it feels great now. 

Like a game again... not work  :P

Do you have anything to contribute? Or do you just like to insult infamous pyrates?

If you lost a boarding action under those listed conditions then it is on you not the Devs,, I just captured a Victory with a Belona using Blue Boarding and Marines.. with Gold Grog and Swords... so your problem isnt a dev one :D

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed insults. Please treat each other with respect.

PAGAN PETE IS FURIOUS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

My GOLD marines and GOLD boarding parties just lost a fight to an AI trade cutter in my trade lynx.

GOLD upgrades,… and I lost! With 100 prep from me… Pagan Pete.

This isn't a nerf… its a downright Deletion of boarding mods!!  :o They are useless now! 

(yeah, Im So ticked off, I'm not even playing right now)

I'd love to see how that worked out in the combat log, because there's no way your 10 marines should lose to his 4-5 ...