Game-Labs Forum

Ranks Discussion

Just a suggestion, but perhaps the Admiralty Ranks should be restricted. We have Rear Admirals all over the place in each nation (or their national equivalent). I would propose that the ranks be restructured with Flag or Post Captain being the highest. No change to ship progression, but would require the insertion of a few extra ranks. 

If we were to do that, perhaps Rear Admiral/Commodore ranks could be assigned inside of Clans. 

Just a thought for a bit of immersion. 

Mhh yes, so when we only got a handful of admirals and they would weekly switch depending on performance it could create a healthy dose of rivalry among the other captains to promote and encourage pvp?.. Being an admiral should come with its benefits besides the prestige like being able to bring a 1st rate to a port battle maybe?

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

So you are suggesting that we replace the top two ranks with two other names. Lets say 2nd and 1st rank post captain and 2nd an 1st rank flag captain, and make commodore and rear admiral a rare "titel" you get within a clan.

Would be cool to have some titels given out per nation/faction each week/month. Like "Conquerer" for most PB attended, "Merchant" for most money made from selling goods "Crafter" for most Craft XP gained in a month, etc...

So the whole following month whenever people click on your ship, it says your name with a "Conquerer" logo or something under it.

This is probably a nightmare to program, but non the less it would be a cool competition, just something on the side.

Maybe some funny titels for the ones having exploded the most or sank the most in a month.

So you are suggesting that we replace the top two ranks with two other names. Lets say 2nd and 1st rank post captain and 2nd an 1st rank flag captain, and make commodore and rear admiral a rare "titel" you get within a clan.

Would be cool to have some titels given out per nation/faction each week/month. Like "Conquerer" for most PB attended, "Merchant" for most money made from selling goods "Crafter" for most Craft XP gained in a month, etc...

So the whole following month whenever people click on your ship, it says your name with a "Conquerer" logo or something under it.

This is probably a nightmare to program, but non the less it would be a cool competition, just something on the side.

Maybe some funny titels for the ones having exploded the most or sank the most in a month.

The problem with that is some of those will all ways be the same folks that have multi accounts or the strongest nations clans out there that will have them over and over again.

Though with that I can see maybe the tittle going to the clan leader that takes a port or holds more than a few ports.  That way the strongest are the ones that have the 1st rates and keep up the good protection of the fleet and it's strength.   

I personally don't care to ever make such a high rank cause I like to play more the privateer style than some Navy Admiral in a slow moving 1st rate.

The problem with that is some of those will all ways be the same folks that have multi accounts or the strongest nations clans out there that will have them over and over again.

Though with that I can see maybe the tittle going to the clan leader that takes a port or holds more than a few ports.  That way the strongest are the ones that have the 1st rates and keep up the good protection of the fleet and it's strength.   

I personally don't care to ever make such a high rank cause I like to play more the privateer style than some Navy Admiral in a slow moving 1st rate.

As it goes with every game you'll have people who are very dedicated to the game, who put in multiple hours every day, who set up a clan, make a clan website and on the other end of the spectrum you'll have people playing a couple of hours every week. The first type of player will obviously rank higher and be more skilled, so its obvious this type of player will be the one who is up for a medal. (on a side note we could also make rewards rank related, like get some medals up for every rank, so you are handing them out amongst players equal in skill).

But to be fair, this game might not need this as I read when they will implement the diplomacy feature, there will be a kind of system based on the amount of ports a person ownes. Those amounts will tranlate in the "rank" you have in your nation, and will make you electable as a member of your nations governement, and will make you a voting member for alliances and war amongst the nations. I can't remember all the requirements, but this was proposed in a thread called "such is lord" http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13596-such-is-a-lord-simple-politics-and-alliances-part-1-heavily-moderated/

So there might end up being an extra ranking system existing paralel to your XP rank system, giving a bit the same status effect as being "important" for your nation. Not completely what we are talking about on the above posts, but I think this will be the closest thing ever getting implemented.

Edited by LanderD

• 2 weeks later...