Game-Labs Forum

Forthcoming hot fixes next week - ships of the line penetration discussion

Please read these records concerning splinter wounds during Crimean War ship fights:

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/NAVALBRIGADE1854.html

Interesting.

I didn't count them but it sure looked like most killed were either not listed as why, or listed as having something to do with a "shell" or "shot".

It looks to me like from first glance that it's, around 7-1 wound/kill ratio, and that most kills with listed details were getting shot, while more wounds were splinter.

So yea, I will concede that splinters were more dangerous than MB found, (stupid science with bad conditions), and that you were more likely to be wounded by splinters than direct hits, but I won't concede that you were more likely to be killed by them than a direct hit.

And yea, concussion from cannon flying though wood would probably not cause significant damage.

It also points out how strange the total crew wipe outs we have to do to force a surrender actually are.

• Like 1

I think live oak should be a rare ressource in some harbour in zones between nations so that nations would fight to have access to this special wood and in reality from what I've seen it can make your ship both sturdier and lighter so if you make it quite rare you could have this wood with only benefits

and maybe for the future same things for sails or iron...

and maybe if there is a wood which is very fast and have the strength of let's say normal oak lat's do the same.

Some rare and very special ressources should add a lot more strategy as with the harbour providing a lot of crew and add a lot of interest in suggling in rare goods harbours.

Thanks.

Edited by Galaksee
  • Like 1