Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
saintjacktar

Hijacked!

Hijack

Verb

take over (something) and use it for a different purpose.

"he argues that pressure groups have hijacked the environmental debate"

Dear Players,

It is a crying shame that this game has indeed been Hijacked, It has such potential. But in its infancy it seems that it is having the life snuffed out of it by a very select few to fufill some vendetta. And the mechanics that have supported such activities. Many of you have argued in threads to break the game to fix the game so as to highlight obvious shortfalls. Im imploring Devs/Mods to come out with a statement before madness ensues. There are those who would rather not "take the black" in order to do this and I fear that a symbolical Coup de tat against the Devs should not be necessary, but may be imminent. Give us a dev log or something.

Regards

Saintjacktar

Edited by saintjacktar
  • Like 4

Hijack

Verb

take over (something) and use it for a different purpose.

"he argues that pressure groups have hijacked the environmental debate"

Dear Players,

It is a crying shame that this game has indeed been Hijacked, It has such potential. But in its infancy it seems that it is having the life snuffed out of it by a very select few to fufill some vendetta. And the mechanics that have supported such activities. Many of you have argued in threads to break the game to fix the game so as to highlight obvious shortfalls. Im imploring Devs/Mods to come out with a statement before madness ensues. There are those who would rather not "take the black" in order to do this and I fear that a symbolical Coup de tat against the Devs should not be necessary, but may be imminent. Give us a dev log or something.

Regards

Saintjacktar

New thread to constructively discuss all this:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14245-pirate-mechanics-suggestions-collection-thread/

Dear Captain Underpants,

Ive already posted my thoughts on the matter in the Pirate Mechanic Vote thread, The problem im seeing now is not enough Dev to Community feedback. Like how were our collective ideas received are they implementing any of them ,which ones arent viable, which are, ideas they need help brainstorming with, etc.

Regards

Saintjacktar

The issue is that there are too many threads for developers to thumb onto.  If they read all of them, they'd have no time developing.  As such, it is best to try to keep things to as few threads as possible.

• Like 1

Concerns and suggestions about the problematic pirate mechanisms have been made for months. This thread is pointing out those warnings are coming true.

Players are either swelling the pirate ranks by taking advantage of the broken mechanic to turn pirate without penalty (an option afforded no other faction), or they are leaving the game entirely.

The dwindling numbers do not bother you?

They bother me. We have a dev thread on crew 'shout outs', but none on this long term issue that seems to be nearing a tipping point. As someone who hopes this game thrives, I find that disheartening.

I do not think it is unreasonable to ask that our concerns be addressed.

Edited by GrapeShot

As a pirate, I agree it is too easy to turn pirate, especially when one's nation's chips are down.  Problem is, might be a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Other problem is, we as players have absolutely no idea what the numbers are within each faction.

Reality is, with instant teleport, any player can now change nation much easier albeit with help from another player.    

• Like 1

The dwindling numbers do not bother you?

They bother me. We have a dev thread on crew 'shout outs', but none on this long term issue that seems to be nearing a tipping point. As someone who hopes this game thrives, I find that disheartening.

I do not think it is unreasonable to ask that our concerns be addressed.

If the baby is scheduled to arrive in 9 months, whatever you say or do will not force it to arrive earlier. Forcing earlier birth is usually not advised.

Same here.

Pirates, Alliances and Politics will be Addressed and we work on those issues. They will come when we are ready to show something.

• Like 16

If the baby is scheduled to arrive in 9 months, whatever you say or do will not force it to arrive earlier. Forcing earlier birth is usually not advised.

Same here.

Pirates, Alliances and Politics will be Addressed and we work on those issues. They will come when we are ready to show something.

Too little too late, you done goofed up.

Too little too late, you done goofed up.

There is no too little or too late. Features take time. like babies

9 months for a baby is a good time, you won't ask your wife to do it faster claiming its too little and too late.

If you are not ok to wait you will come back when its done.  

• Like 5

Yep. Lots of people play Naval Action as if it was full release. They need to try and think of it as an alpha (since it is). Play it, test it, get a feel for it, but then maybe put it down until either the next big update or until beta or until release.

Good to log in and test new features -- we know about the flaws in the war mechanics because we all spent 100s of hours testing the current implementation -- but at some point it's probably worth saying "we have fully explored the flaws in this system and it's time to wait for the fixes". Devs know about it, fixes have been described and look good and are coming.

(I regret doing as many empty port battles as I did and I know some people have done literally 5x more than I have. After the flaws become apparent there is no reason to keep bashing our head against them. Wait for the next big update!)

• Like 3

There is no too little or too late. Features take time. like babies

9 months for a baby is a good time, you won't ask your wife to do it faster claiming its too little and too late.

Dear admin,

But like pregnancy you can also have a "ultrasound" (dev log/blog) to know what that "baby" is gonna be. It doesnt tell you everything, but it least it tells u something.

Regards

Saintjacktar

To the OP. Admin answered well and to the point. It will be looked at and fixed. People need to understand there's a certain order on what can be changed/fixed. It's not ready, give it time. If you don't like it, come back at a later time. Player fluctuation will happen, the devs know it. They are the ones that have all the risk with making this game. Us, on the other hand...$40. I got my monies worth the first week of sea trials....

Edited by SteelSandwich
Removed offtopic quote

I do like the idea that we get to know what the devs are thinking about developing so that we can also have a lot of fun on the forums.

This game is still fully involved in development. Much has changed in the past 6 months and new changes are still to come. Hijacked? No way. What you are feeling are growing pains. Many seem to think they know the best way to resolve an issue, the Dev's see a bigger picture and are working toward that end.

Ideas are brouoght forward, some may work , some may not. You do not know what will or what won't. Our voice here lets the Dev's know what we are experiencing - it may just be what they want/or not want. We do not know the details and we are not the ones building it. We are testing it in all of its venues RvR, PvP, PvE. It's a total sum.

Yes, there are times I feel my voice doesn't matter, but there are a few who play as I do in NA. Behold the latest changes made and blow me away with the changes for some of them is something I had hoped for. They, the Dev's, do pay attention to what is being said. If it fits then theres a possibility it will be added.

I, like you, purchased this game. I know full well it is still in development. I was aware of some issues the testers in the Sea Trials were experencing - which have been corrected. But I still want the experience as well to be in the game, completed or not. I have, I did, and I have enjoyed evey day of play for the past 6 months. I full have gotten my money's worth to date and anything beyond to date is an exceptional plus to the experience.

REMEMBER, we do not see the 30,000 foot view of the game and are no able to see what one small change has on a trickle effect over all. It all takes time.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

This game is still fully involved in development. Much has changed in the past 6 months and new changes are still to come. Hijacked? No way. What you are feeling are growing pains. Many seem to think they know the best way to resolve an issue, the Dev's see a bigger picture and are working toward that end.

Ideas are brouoght forward, some may work , some may not. You do not know what will or what won't. Our voice here lets the Dev's know what we are experiencing - it may just be what they want/or not want. We do not know the details and we are not the ones building it. We are testing it in all of its venues RvR, PvP, PvE. It's a total sum.

Yes, there are times I feel my voice doesn't matter, but there are a few who play as I do in NA. Behold the latest changes made and blow me away with the changes for some of them is something I had hoped for. They, the Dev's, do pay attention to what is being said. If it fits then theres a possibility it will be added.

I, like you, purchased this game. I know full well it is still in development. I was aware of some issues the testers in the Sea Trials were experencing - which have been corrected. But I still want the experience as well to be in the game, completed or not. I have, I did, and I have enjoyed evey day of play for the past 6 months. I full have gotten my money's worth to date and anything beyond to date is an exceptional plus to the experience.

REMEMBER, we do not see the 30,000 foot view of the game and are no able to see what one small change has on a trickle effect over all. It all takes time.

Have a nice day.

Dear Jean LaPointe

Sir, I am aware this is an alpha and i too used to play in the sea trials. I love this game and would also say that I have gotten my monies worth. However the issue with Pirate "Nation" needs to be addressed and Im sure it is. All i ask is a bit more communication between dev and players. If this doesnt happen then the same questions will continue to till be asked and ludicrous ideas like "Paint it Black" will continue to be floated thoughout the community.

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

• Like 1

Dear Jean LaPointe

Sir, I am aware this is an alpha and i too used to play in the sea trials. I love this game and would also say that I have gotten my monies worth. However the issue with Pirate "Nation" needs to be addressed and Im sure it is. All i ask is a bit more communication between dev and players. If this doesnt happen then the same questions will continue to till be asked and ludicrous ideas like "Paint it Black" will continue to be floated thoughout the community.

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

To this I also agree.

I'm pretty sure all the ones whining about pirates breaking the game are the ones getting wrecked by pirates. People are forgetting that even if a pirate nation was a thing (which surprise it is currently), they have the same advantages and disadvantages as every other nation in the game. Being a pirate doesn't magically make you the ultimate force in the universe.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure all the ones whining about pirates breaking the game are the ones getting wrecked by pirates. People are forgetting that even if a pirate nation was a thing (which surprise it is currently), they have the same advantages and disadvantages as every other nation in the game. Being a pirate doesn't magically make you the ultimate force in the universe.

Dear Sigurd,

It does if you can change to it freely without consiquence. E.g - keep all your ships,xp,rank and gold

Regards

Captain saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

United States

Dear Jean LaPointe

Regards,

Captain Saintjacktar

USS BANSHEE

Australian Flotilla

Tattered Flags

I dont think more is necceseary. Just because dev´s dont always reply to posts made, doesnt mean they didnt read them.

And if they´d make a Dev Blog, which would consume time to write and so on, that would push the release of the update even further away. Cause when they could code for the new update they need to write a dev blog so some players dont go to the pirate nation. Which is irrelevant anyways cause if the port battles get reworked there is a Map Wipe required. Also there is no problem with less testers. I´d rather had 200 active players, half of them reporting on the forums, giving constructive critic and not flaming all over the place and shouting:" Oh you should´ve made it that way, That is the only way its gonna work !" But they never really thought about what other problems would happen with implementing their half braindead idea. Cause by implementing it there will be 10 other things that are unbalanced.

It does if you can change to it freely without consiquence. E.g - keep all your ships,xp,rank and gold

You seem to be under the mistaken impression this gives pirates magical powers at sea. They have the same ships, crews and mechanics as everyone else. Simply being able to switch to pirates easily isn't that advantageous, and only as much as being able to reek revenge on those that have disgruntled you in your previous nation. A pirate, or national hero are only as good as their skill in battle. Being pirate is not a nuclear option. People would be crying the same if it were the british controlling the most players and ports, you'd be crying for britain to be castrated. Or maybe spain, danemark, french, US or the dutch. There is no difference in nations besides flags and colours mechanically. The difference is in the balance of power between these colours. 

A couple months ago the Brits reigned supreme on this map. Now it seems that the black flag is the #1 nation to cope with. 

Until the alliance/RVR section of this game isn't released, you just have to bear with this.

Keep your chin tucked in, avoid spreading out and wait for the storm to pass.

We the French are being challenged on two war fronts for many weeks now. Some have left, some stopped playing, but those that are still around are more motivated than ever.

Look at the Spaniards, they were reduced to their capital at one point and have done a remarkable come back. Wind comes and goes.

BTW, glad to see that there's a nation that managed to kick the Brits (and their US allies) in the teeth and let them experience a shrinking empire ;)

Edited by la Touche-Treville
  • Like 1

The main issues with pirates are now well documented and I understand will be addressed. However one of the biggest issues is force of numbers and aggressiveness. Even after the pirate mechanic has been changed the pirates can be replaced by any large nation or alliance of nations that can persecute a smaller nation to extinction. I understand diplomacy mechanics are on the way and changes to port battles will slow port capture, however, I have reservations whether mechanics and cooperation of clan/national leaders alone can be trusted to keep the best interests of the game paramount. I suspect that oversight by the DEVS or other impartial body will be required irrespective of mechanics to keep things in balance.

hmm, at the Moment i would say the game is "painted black" and a lot of People won't Play anymore. from our clan side, we have lost more than a third of the Players. thus this makes as no longer capable of acting. so whatever will come to game as a development would be too late, because nearly everyone changes to the black flag.

As long as people can turn pirate in game with whatever means (and regardless of "punishments") the Black Plague will rage on.

There needs to be a way back in game or Nations will just keep on losing folks to the Pirates.