Game-Labs Forum

Pirate Mechanics suggestions collection thread

Longbeard is simply trying to protect his unnaturally easy pirate perks, nothing he has said so far is productive, simply putting down any suggestion & the players that bring them up.

In what universe did pirates hold the majority of carribean ports?

To defend the current broken mechanic simply states that you are inconsiderate of other players & possibly should refrain from posting unless you can add something useful to the argument.

As stated above, this thread is a working discussion on how to fix the gameplay so EVERYONE can enjoy it not to simply NERF the pirate faction as you so poorly put it.

I've noticed since the big factions moved to piracey there are very few players on the server - either fix this sensibly or risk losing the game before it even goes public.

Slow & no response send no message at all.

WAKE UP devs game is slipping ........

Clearly you've bit read all of my posts.  

I have agreed that some people here are contributing and coming up with ideas that are aimed at 'improving' pirates or making them unique without making them weaker than other nations.  Sadly, these threads also bring in the nerf brigade suggesting ridiculous things like having pirates lose all their assets upon sinking / capturing, or restricting us to small / weak ships that would stand no chance in PVP.

As to protecting unnaturally easy pirate perks, I've no idea what you mean. Isn't the argument here that pirates are the same as all other nations? What perks be these?

Finally, regarding your comments regarding the realistic nature of pirates owning the majority of the Caribbean. Are you forgetting that this is a sandbox MMO where historical shenanigans are irrelevant? What would your argument be if suddenly the Dutch managed to cap the Caribbean?  Are you suggesting game restrictions to prevent nations capping certain ports so the map reflects real history?

Everybody should also think about the real % of pirates or outlaws and criminals that real societies can support. Remember that outlaws require societies to feed and sponge off. When the percentage becomes too great then they tend to be rubbed out by really annoyed nations with real armies and navies. i.e. Outlaws are always outnumbered and outgunned by the military if not the police. This requirement to be constantly "wanted" men and having to be careful and strategic about avoiding the military by all sorts of crafty means while preying on their soft targets should be reflected in game. So if pirates are not up for a straight up equal fight because they find it hard to replace both gear and men. This needs to be reflected in game.

Those who want to play pirates should perhaps be limited to scavenging parts, resources and drafting men right after being given a reasonable ship as a base to begin with. That ship until others are captured should be able to be modified and upgraded until perhaps almost unrecognisable. Where military ships need for the most part to stay within navy board regulations.

What I am saying is that for people who go pirate perhaps buying brand new ships from a countrie's dockyard should be impossible or at least a tricky process.

As someone who nas played both flavours.....

pirates are not very different so they have to be changed.   Removing content from them smacks of nerfbat but changing their gameplay is a good thing the question is what do you want them to be different for?

If you want them to be a punishment then you have to nerf them and make it suck but then their goal is to make it back to the nations favour.

If you want them as a different favour but not a nerf then you have to remove the ability to become pirate late unless you treat going pirate as an endgame mechanic.

If you want them as an opponent to everyone or a mercenary system then you have to design it so they have "features"

One simply cant just nerf them to 4th or 5th rates and make raiding a thing and say done thats a great it isn;t

Build a design for them based on your endgame goal not nerf the crap out of a nation and think it;s done......if thats what you want to do just delete the pirate nation and make it 7 nations. 

You have to make a decisionon where you pirates to sit......  punishment, alternate flavour, Hardcore mode.

Everybody should also think about the real % of pirates or outlaws and criminals that real societies can support. Remember that outlaws require societies to feed and sponge off. When the percentage becomes too great then they tend to be rubbed out by really annoyed nations with real armies and navies. i.e. Outlaws are always outnumbered and outgunned by the military if not the police. This requirement to be constantly "wanted" men and having to be careful and strategic about avoiding the military by all sorts of crafty means while preying on their soft targets should be reflected in game. So if pirates are not up for a straight up equal fight because they find it hard to replace both gear and men. This needs to be reflected in game.

Those who want to play pirates should perhaps be limited to scavenging parts, resources and drafting men right after being given a reasonable ship as a base to begin with. That ship until others are captured should be able to be modified and upgraded until perhaps almost unrecognisable. Where military ships need for the most part to stay within navy board regulations.

What I am saying is that for people who go pirate perhaps buying brand new ships from a countrie's dockyard should be impossible or at least a tricky process.

asi say if it is a punishment then it isnt a nation....make a decision on what theya re going to be then get suggestions on how to achieve that goal.

Fastidius I have made many suggestions in this and other pirate threads about how to fix it.

Being pirate is not a punishment it's just is not a nation. It's for people who want the thrill of raiding and fading from the authorities. 

Then blending in or hiding in some hidden water hole.

It's a different play style. 

Not for people who want to practice legitimate nation hood with responsibility for people, women, children, economy, national politics and all the trappings of society.

I suggested things like having to capture ships and man them. But then having a lot more room to modify and upgrade them than nations because of the need for it to make it a viable pirate ship. It's historical that pirates made major modifications to ships while nations often forbade their captains to do so beyond dock\navy regulations.

Some general ideas for how pirates should work. 

Mechanics:

1. How to become a pirate.

a) Pirate starts by choosing pirate faction. If true then gets basic cutter to begin with as normal

B) Pirate becomes pirate by mutiny or captain going rogue. Mechanic for losing some crew based on captains popularity or mutineers popularity mini game.

c) Pirate crew mechanics now applied to ship: If the ship can now not be crewed in the normal way due to undercrew strength the pirate can either continue in his\her current ship with the disadvantages of under crewing but now have to find places that will allow crew replacements or trickle in crew through capturing ships and slowly getting crew back while being careful not to lose their own crew. Nations on the other hand can more readily get crew from national ports and press gang because they have stable population growth. Thus pirates will always find it hard to crew large ships but can possibly do it as in real life... it will almost never happen but any pirate captain who does even for a period of time would have a large amount of respect.

d) In this way it will be a game for pirates to capture merchants and attempt to populate their crews. While another mechanic would enable them to overcrew much more than nations IF they can gain more than they lose for long enough.

2. How Pirates go to ports.

a) Pirates have various hidden and moving bases throughout the map that they must discover and once discovered are known to them and placed on their map but not known to anybody else in game. The game then moves these hidden islands always showing them on the pirates map but no national map.

B) Pirates have a mechanic that disguises their ship like a smuggler and allows them into national ports. However their is a random chance they will be discovered again through a mini game that requires national friendly ships to hail and check them from close range.

3) How do pirates play.

a) Pirates can rove about flying other national flags and ambushing traders. Traders must be wary and look through their telescopes to get a good view of the pirate ship and distinguish small graphical details that are tell tale signs. 

B) Pirate flags must be run up before the attack begins

c) Traders are limited and do not spawn again and again. Pirates can there fore have a detrimental affect on a nations trade. This would be simulated by resource availability in ports. (I know a port produces things but perhaps some of those things could be imported). Or things just become more expensive.

d) Pirates rove around in small packs attacking smaller or lone national naval vessels. Their power lies in a huge variety of ruses and hit and fade tactics.

e) Pirates can attack whalers while they hunt whales and send smoke up. They can hunt convoys that are defended and undefended that should be AI.

f) Pirates can intercept national packet ships (messenger\courier and mail vessels) and sell the information. Royal or other classes.

g) Pirates can take hostages and sell them back to nations. Royal or other classes. These hostages would be found on various vessels and have a chance of dropping like other loot.

4) Shady dealings

a) Pirates can deal with unscrupulous national fellows and rendevouz for missions even against unscrupulous fellows own nation... rival traders etc.

Kill 5 Gross Ventres. Take on a frigate etc. Pirates must get into a national port and indicate through an agent that they are available for missions. They purchase get a pirates agent in said port. They must sneak into port to get missions.... a chance for some action or a chase. Risky and very pirate like.

B) These unscrupulous fellows can also provide goods and ships for the black market. Smugglers in essence.

c) Pirates can take these goods and ships as they please without payment if they decide to backstab the fellow for no penalty.

5) Pirate Ships

a) Pirate ships should be moddable in a way that makes them look different on the outside. Disguised to look like a whaler and even when clicking on them in the open world identify as whalers or traders or what ever unless the national player looks more closely with the telescope.

B) Pirate ships should be able to stop and apply disguises. Fishing boats, whalers, traders, even a friendly frigate. Success often based on ship shape to the telescope holder. 

c) Pirates should be able with a timer to raise national flags... but also to be discovered and that flag shown as false to the national player.

d) Pirates should be able to modify traders to carry more guns. Especially smaller boarding guns. National players are instead often required to NOT modify to adhere to navy board regulations.

e) Pirates should not use marines but instead be able to overcrew ships more for their ship class. 

etc... sorry cooking dinner and have run out of time... but you get the idea. Less stand up fight and more pirate like enterprises.

• Like 3

Really? Name those please.. I ask because Nations can do EVERYTHING Pirates can now after the last few patches

1. You can attack each other. To escape when chased or level up quikly.

2. Everyone can change to pirate without losing anything. Still a oneway-street.

Show me how you do this with other nations...

2. Everyone can change to pirate without losing anything. Still a oneway-street.

1. Powerful mechanics indeed.  Since devs have already gone on record stating  pirateVpirate didn't work out as intended, they should simply remove it.

2. Powerful mechanics indeed.  they should simply remove it.

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 1

1. Is addressed by the smuggler flag. You can have it turned on always as well. :P
  2. That is the Black Plague bug and that is the one that really needs fixing. If everybody went down the Black Plague, there is no other option but to fix it. Come on down. :D

1. Is addressed by the smuggler flag. You can have it turned on always as well. :P
  2. That is the Black Plague bug and that is the one that really needs fixing. If everybody went down the Black Plague, there is no other option but to fix it. Come on down. :D

It's a fair point. No one can now claim the ability to attack each other is a pirate exclusive mechanic. Switching to smuggler effectively gives a non pirate the exact same ability so no one should be bringing this up any more as an unfair pirate 'perk'. 

I'm in favor of scrapping pirates as a 'faction' and making everyone independent privateers/pirates.

If you turned to a life of piracy during the era, you didn't instantly become a member of a massive network of brothers in black. Most other pirates would have been unlikely to trust you, and perhaps even in competition with you.

Now if players wanted to create their own brotherhood of pirates, then I don't see why, or even how, they should be prevented from doing so. But it needs to reflect a loose framework, not the same level of organization that nationals have.

• Like 2

1: with the Smuggler flag everyone can do that now..... Advantage removed by the Devs

2) how is this a game play advantage? It doesn't let us as pirates do anything you cant do... It is game play issue. the fact it is in gives the Pirates Zero advantage in a fight. as for with other nations with a friend and some planning you can switch sides in a a couple hours without losing anything.. you just move your stuff to a free port hand it over then log out create a new name after deleting old and get the stuff back... sure it is slower but still doable...

1: with the Smuggler flag everyone can do that now..... Advantage removed by the Devs

Still an advantage for pirates since they don´t have to activate smuggler flag for it. If a national activates smuggler flag before attacking a port he won´t be able to dock at the port to repair without getting stuck in there.

2) how is this a game play advantage? It doesn't let us as pirates do anything you cant do... It is game play issue. the fact it is in gives the Pirates Zero advantage in a fight. as for with other nations with a friend and some planning you can switch sides in a a couple hours without losing anything.. you just move your stuff to a free port hand it over then log out create a new name after deleting old and get the stuff back... sure it is slower but still doable...

Bold text: Not true, you will loose all your Blueprints...

And this advantage is no gameplay advantage for the single pirate, but a huge advantage for the pirate nation, since they have the highest chance to constantly get new players who ragequit their nations for various reasons.

Edited by Bommel

I like what Destraex suggested!

Heres my small suggestions:

1. Pirates could have limited number of ports, and cannot own more than 3-4 ports max. Capital port cannot be captured.

2. Other Nationality's Ports can be raided, but it would require a national/clan effort to do so. 

3. Pirates could sail under a false flag when hunting ships etc.

4. Chance of the black bloody Mutiny! Although but in order to this to happen, the crews morale has to be extremely low. 

5. In order to raise/keep morale up, the player must have some rum in their holds, wich would be consumed over x period of time. and the player must find

prey/enemy ships/ports to raid

6. Sinking an enemy vessel doesn't improve the crews morale, and dont give any loot/money to the player. Only a small number of XP.

7.The ship must be captured either by force or by enemy´s surrender.

8. When attacking the enemy ship under a false flag and raising the black, the enemy´´s morale would sink x amount and would raise the chance of surrendering the ship. However, this could only be implemented in traders, not navy ships. In wich cases your morale would sink x amount.

9. Pirates cant sail ships larger than 6th rates. Example: rattlesnake. Maby in some cases even a Cerberus

Edited by TheSimpleGamer

i think the hard thing with pirates as a playable faction to implement is the fact that pirates in RL went out for booty to get drunk and basically have a good life in some remote tavern without the shackles of the kings telling them what to do.. Nations and war on the other hand are easier to accomplish in NA. Britain declares war on Spain and conquers her ports in the Caribbean. This works well in Naval Action..

Hence, my basic idea is that pirates in Naval Action should be forced to capture ships and raid ports not to have a nice life in Tortuga or Nassau but to be able to play the game at all! Resource production as a pirate should be severely reduced compared to let's say a professionally run mine of the East India Trading Company. Highest shipyard level should be level 2. Thankfully, capturing traders and their cargo will soon actually make sense once we can take the ship with all its cargo instead of throwing most of it away. If pirate players would depend on resources from other players I find that it kinda would reflect nicely 'the joy of a big catch' or  what we always think about when we think about pirates and their famous 'booty' in modern day pop culture. Imagine you cap a player and finally get the materials which you needed to build the ship you always wanted. Capping ships should be an alternative to crafting ships as a pirate. Pirates should be allowed to refill dura with captured ships in pvp (note no npc hording). Let's say I decide to go and hunt players in rattlesnakes. The first captured rattlesnake would have only one dura. If I can manage to capture another rattlesnake the next day it would be beneficial if I could combine these two captured ships to have one rattlesnake with 2 dura so that capturing ships becomes eventually maybe the only way for pirates to get a good ship? Pirates had a hard life after all and are also advertised as the 'hard' nation to play.. Make it so that pirates (clans) can get payed by a nation to raid another nation's ports. 

Pirates should be difficult because of their lack of infrastructure. They have to win in pvp to become stronger. Bad players will switch to nations cause only the strongest rats survive. 

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

Still an advantage for pirates since they don´t have to activate smuggler flag for it. If a national activates smuggler flag before attacking a port he won´t be able to dock at the port to repair without getting stuck in there.

Bold text: Not true, you will loose all your Blueprints...

And this advantage is no gameplay advantage for the single pirate, but a huge advantage for the pirate nation, since they have the highest chance to constantly get new players who ragequit their nations for various reasons.

And then getting stuck in contested ports when you want to repair your ship.

They said they fixed that.. did they not?

They said they fixed that.. did they not?

To be honest I did not test it recently and did not read a post from devs, saying that you can enter a contested (just captured by your nation) port in combat ship and leave it, while having smuggler flag activated.

If this got fixed just disregard my argument.

1.) As said above, smuggler lets the other factions do this.

2.) I think should be changed, but that change is actually quite simple.

Since they now have smuggler, simply lock a players' smuggler to ON for 24 hours for each Green on Green encounter. It's up to each nation how it deals with spotted smugglers in it's midst.

Switch to "Pirate" only after having that lock go above a certain threshold, AND strip all possessions except the current ship.

Mechanical problem solved.  The social problem of people wanting to join the winning team,  well to quote Peter Drucker 

"culture eats strategy for breakfast"

And your fighting culture on that one, so good luck with whatever strategy you try.

if it moves to Pirates not being abble to capture harbours and only beaing able to raid, it should be able to participate port battle and so nations would hire pirates to help them in their port battle sometimes

But pirates would always be on a 3rd side, that is they can actually attack any ship either the attackers or defenders (why not other pirates as in OW) without having to suffer XP losses and as long as they (either the pirates as a group or each pirate seperatly) don't do a certain amount of damage on defenders (ships or fort) they wont be targeted by AI (fort for now but maybe we can imagine some AI ships as gunships for harbour security)

If the defenders looses the battle and pirates are inside, pirates can raid and plunder as a normal raid so sometimes if the odds are equal, attacking side won't want any pirate ship and would like to sik them.

And this system could even be added to any sea battle (maybe only PVP) and not having to join a side as a pirate can always change his mind.

I think it could add a lot of fun and surprise in the game.

I think pirate ship shouldn't be counted on the max amount of ships on each side but have their own ship amount to be able to really disturb the ballance of a battle especially in PB.

Thank you fr the reading ;)

if it moves to Pirates not being abble to capture harbours and only beaing able to raid, it should be able to participate port battle and so nations would hire pirates to help them in their port battle sometimes

But pirates would always be on a 3rd side, that is they can actually attack any ship either the attackers or defenders (why not other pirates as in OW) without having to suffer XP losses and as long as they (either the pirates as a group or each pirate seperatly) don't do a certain amount of damage on defenders (ships or fort) they wont be targeted by AI (fort for now but maybe we can imagine some AI ships as gunships for harbour security)

If the defenders looses the battle and pirates are inside, pirates can raid and plunder as a normal raid so sometimes if the odds are equal, attacking side won't want any pirate ship and would like to sik them.

And this system could even be added to any sea battle (maybe only PVP) and not having to join a side as a pirate can always change his mind.

I think it could add a lot of fun and surprise in the game.

I think pirate ship shouldn't be counted on the max amount of ships on each side but have their own ship amount to be able to really disturb the ballance of a battle especially in PB.

Thank you fr the reading ;)

Good logical idea i like it. Unfortunately you are under the impression that the "i hate pirates" kids acually want a fair or fun pirate class. They want pirates punished and destroyed because they couldn't do it themselves.

Once pirates are removed they will just move on to " nerf the US its not fair" or "dont let the french beat england its not historical " .

1. As mentioned, your clan/nation mate can choose smuggler.

2. I like it as is for the rats, even tho I am not a rat. A non-rat can still keep all their ships if one does the long route to change nation. They just have to give everything to a friend and get it back when changed over.

I would prefer something implemented like Letters of Marque for non-rats to be able to switch nations provided that nation approves the LoM. That way we could still keep our ships without the long route. Maybe to earn a LoM one would have to complete missions for that nation, ie attacking their enemies (players or NPC), capping enemy port, trade running for that nation, etc.

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

(moved from closed topic " The vicar and the devil " to assemble topic my 2 cents)

-this is concerning a brand new upgrade- 

Hello captains

sometimes when i see a pirate 

and trying to successfully get into battle with that pirate to board it

I am going to get very confused ....

When boarding a pirate i see... 

Marines

on the side of the pirates

That looks to me as...  if /that... the vicar joint the devil (?)

for pirates, pirates and marines do not go together

the upgrade who puts marines on board a ship should only be assessable for regulated nations like for instance france /english/dutch/exc.,..But not pirates

What i suggest is a upgrade for regulated nations > Marines (give bonus to nations ,and no bonus to pirates)

and a new upgrade: (called)" Extra buccaneers " >for pirates only (give bonus to pirates ,and no bonus to nations )

from wiki (who explanes buccaneers)

Warfare[edit]

220px-Pyle_pirates_city.jpg

Buccaneers extorting tribute from the citizens of a captured city.

Naval[edit]

Buccaneers initially used small boats to attack Spanish galleons surreptitiously, often at night, and climb aboard before the alarm could be raised. Buccaneers were expert marksmen and would quickly kill the helmsman and any officers aboard. Buccaneers' reputation as cruel pirates grew to the point that, eventually, most victims would surrender, hoping they would not be killed.[11]

Land[edit]

When buccaneers raided towns, they did not sail into port and bombard the defenses, as naval forces typically did. Instead, they secretly beached their ships out of sight of their target, marched overland, and attacked the towns from the landward side, which was usually less fortified. Their raids relied mainly on surprise and speed.[11] The sack of Campeche was considered the first such raid and many others that followed replicated the same techniques including the attack on Veracruz in 1683 and the raid on Cartagena later that same year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me:  Marines on a pirate vessel it is a no go.........

The pirates need a new upgrade  " Extra  Buccaneers "

Captains what do you think of it...

Greetings Thonys

o7

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

5) Pirate Ships

a) Pirate ships should be moddable in a way that makes them look different on the outside. Disguised to look like a whaler and even when clicking on them in the open world identify as whalers or traders or what ever unless the national player looks more closely with the telescope.

B) Pirate ships should be able to stop and apply disguises. Fishing boats, whalers, traders, even a friendly frigate. Success often based on ship shape to the telescope holder. 

c) Pirates should be able with a timer to raise national flags... but also to be discovered and that flag shown as false to the national player.

d) Pirates should be able to modify traders to carry more guns. Especially smaller boarding guns. National players are instead often required to NOT modify to adhere to navy board regulations.

e) Pirates should not use marines but instead be able to overcrew ships more for their ship class. 

etc... sorry cooking dinner and have run out of time... but you get the idea. Less stand up fight and more pirate like enterprises.

Agree with nearly everything, could you clarify if by carrying more guns you mean that pirates should be able to equip bow chasers on ships that had none before? While as you said, regulations prevent other nations to do so. Also while would marines be disabled for pirates? Seems logical that pirates have part of their crew specialised in boarding... Overcrew alone is not a significant advantage for boarding while pirates, well, enjoyed boarding at that time ;) Otherwise all ideas look fantastic, especially disguise, etc. Well done!

- ENABLE EQUIPMENT OF BOW CHASERS ON ANY PIRATE SHIP

(moved from closed topic " The vicar and the devil " to assemble topic my 2 cents)

-this is concerning a brand new upgrade- 

Hello captains

sometimes when i see a pirate 

and trying to successfully get into battle with that pirate to board it

I am going to get very confused ....

When boarding a pirate i see... 

Marines

on the side of the pirates

That looks to me as...  if /that... the vicar joint the devil (?)

for pirates, pirates and marines do not go together

the upgrade who puts marines on board a ship should only be assessable for regulated nations like for instance france /english/dutch/exc.,..But not pirates

What i suggest is a upgrade for regulated nations > Marines (give bonus to nations ,and no bonus to pirates)

and a new upgrade: (called)" Extra buccaneers " >for pirates only (give bonus to pirates ,and no bonus to nations )

from wiki (who explanes buccaneers)

Warfare[edit]

220px-Pyle_pirates_city.jpg

Buccaneers extorting tribute from the citizens of a captured city.

Naval[edit]

Buccaneers initially used small boats to attack Spanish galleons surreptitiously, often at night, and climb aboard before the alarm could be raised. Buccaneers were expert marksmen and would quickly kill the helmsman and any officers aboard. Buccaneers' reputation as cruel pirates grew to the point that, eventually, most victims would surrender, hoping they would not be killed.[11]

Land[edit]

When buccaneers raided towns, they did not sail into port and bombard the defenses, as naval forces typically did. Instead, they secretly beached their ships out of sight of their target, marched overland, and attacked the towns from the landward side, which was usually less fortified. Their raids relied mainly on surprise and speed.[11] The sack of Campeche was considered the first such raid and many others that followed replicated the same techniques including the attack on Veracruz in 1683 and the raid on Cartagena later that same year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me:  Marines on a pirate vessel it is a no go.........

The pirates need a new upgrade  " Extra  Buccaneers "

Captains what do you think of it...

Greetings Thonys

o7

Agreed with the suggestions related to buccaneers :) still, some of the crew is allocated to marines, how about making those buccaneers number increase along with preparation time (like reach the total percentage of crew prevviously allocated to marines directly after a while)? So that pirates can be quite more flexible than other nations. It sounds fair since pirates will be constrained to smaller ships and won't be able to compete with other nations in terms of fire power only...