Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 9.81 Patch notes

admin

Go buy Age of Sail from back in the day and play it if you want an Arcade. I love the game has become more realistic. 

I guess you guys are pissed you're not just slaughtering through the battlefield any more.

There is a big difference between wanting an arcadish game and finetuning the amount of time required for each battle. Realism does not exist in a pc game. That's why it is a game. In a 100% simulation you wouldn't see much action. Even the greatest heroes saw battles maybe 2-3 times during a life time. 

The damage model will be tuned again and again. But this game still has two major flaws, as I see it. 

1) the amount of time required before going to battle

2) the lack of big battle options and the time to consume before experience one. (Battle is closed).

^ a somewhat obsolete

As a battlewagon the HMS Dreadnought revolutionized naval warfare but it was nowhere near the equivalent of a WWII Iowa class battlewagon whose keel was laid only three and a half decades later.  Whatever you choose to call her, it was her design differences that were the relevant distinction, not the label.

No really, what your trying to tell me is the same as if you were to dress a pig up in a dress and call it your girlfriend it would still be a pig no matter what you put on it. So because she was old and out dated compared to the Connie... she was still a ship of the line no matter what you want to dress her in.

There is a big difference between wanting an arcadish game and finetuning the amount of time required for each battle. Realism does not exist in a pc game. That's why it is a game. In a 100% simulation you wouldn't see much action. Even the greatest heroes saw battles maybe 2-3 times during a life time. 

The damage model will be tuned again and again. But this game still has two major flaws, as I see it. 

1) the amount of time required before going to battle

2) the lack of big battle options and the time to consume before experience one. (Battle is closed).

I am sure they will be adding cannon balls and cannons necessary with the age to help negate the technology used in armor. You have the technology of weaponary .... you create armor you create weapons to defeat that armor. If they ever add explosive shot, it will ruin the game, so it's not feasible to have explosive shot which destroyed the age of sail and ushered in the age of IronClads. 

However, i am more than sure Hot Shot and Double Shot will be added to the game.

Hot Shot would be amazing for ships of higher class than you but with significant reload time, and Double Shot would be good for a ship of the same class, but still added reload time but not as much as hot shot, and regular ball used for ships of lower class so you can just get your caliber on them. Im sure they'll do something close to that. 

Edited by milkyway12

^ a somewhat obsolete

As a battlewagon the HMS Dreadnought revolutionized naval warfare but it was nowhere near the equivalent of a WWII Iowa class battlewagon whose keel was laid only three and a half decades later.  Whatever you choose to call her, it was her design differences that were the relevant distinction, not the label.

More like a scharnhorst battlecruiser vs predreadnought imo. :P

Even the greatest heroes saw battles maybe 2-3 times during a life time. 

This is the worst justification I keep seeing for not making guns and penetration, masts damage, hit points, grape etc as realistic as we can. How does this even make sense to people?

'Yeah. so umm, since most captains didn't even see action, I want 18 sail repairs and I want to be able to kill 300 crew with my grape in the stern'  :mellow: 

• Like 3

I'm not sure if the Santisima changes are all that good. I need to play a bit more to get a proper opinion. I did an AI mission against a Bellona and a 3rd rate. I managed to remove a mast and cap one. The other one took me down wind for 5 minutes then ran upwind and sat by his fallen friend with his sails down. I made an attempt to sail upwind to get him and gave up after about 1.25 hours into the match. I understand that the santisima is slow but I think there needs to be a slight increase in up wind speed. I will try the 3rd or St.Pavel to see if they are better for the missions. The Santisima seems to have only one use now, defend ports if it is sitting in the port being attacked. I understand real life and how slow it was. Opinion??

I always try to stick the gun muzzle  right up against my enemies planking.

This has many benefits, 1 I can't miss, 2 my guns give maximum penetration, 3 all errors in ballistics are reduced to almost nothing.

Its a historic tactic that works, firing from half way across the map is Hollywood.

• Like 1

People that have issues with Connie having more HP than the Inger need to realize that they are just trying to accurately represent the ships.  The Connie was a beast of a ship, and should have more toughness than the inger.  The inger still has bigger guns, so it is actually a nice balance if they do it right.

The Connie wasn't as good as many people think and I am not saying it was a bad ship, simply not the super ship many people seem to think. It only every fought smaller ships with a max gun count of 38, a couple of them with only 22 guns, the connie carried between 44 and 50 guns and that made a significant difference. Reading the history of the ship I am struck more by the following:

It had good captains who maneuvered the ship very well in combat gaining advantageous positions over there opponents.

The crew were very well trained.

It seems to have been fairly fast.

It also would appear to have been fairly maneuverable.

Its sister ships were made with the same basic hull but less guns fared far less well. 

The Chesapeake for instance, fought with a poorly trained crew (many were new recruits) against a superbly trained British crew and were handily defeated.

It should not be competitive with a 3rd rate of an Ingermland. I believe both of these ships would have thrashed it, though the truth is that it would have run from them anyway as it was primarily acting as a commerce raider. Its popularity is mainly due to a poem and its preservaton.

• Like 4

The Connie wasn't as good as many people think and I am not saying it was a bad ship, simply not the super ship many people seem to think. It only every fought smaller ships with a max gun count of 38, a couple of them with only 22 guns, the connie carried between 44 and 50 guns and that made a significant difference. Reading the history of the ship I am struck more by the following:

It had good captains who maneuvered the ship very well in combat gaining advantageous positions over there opponents.

The crew were very well trained.

It seems to have been fairly fast.

It also would appear to have been fairly maneuverable.

Its sister ships were made with the same basic hull but less guns fared far less well. 

The Chesapeake for instance, fought with a poorly trained crew (many were new recruits) against a superbly trained British crew and were handily defeated.

It should not be competitive with a 3rd rate of an Ingermland. I believe both of these ships would have thrashed it, though the truth is that it would have run from them anyway as it was primarily acting as a commerce raider. Its popularity is mainly due to a poem and its preservaton.

Pretty much spot on.

She was designed to be a fast interceptor, able to catch ships of lower class or fighting capability and able to run from those that could hurt her. She was not designed to go toe to toe with anything larger, but was able to run from them. It was a valid tactical designed to interrupt British shipping using fewer ships and resources to maximum effect. 

Had the joy of visiting her a couple of years ago and she is a magnificent ship, but she is not the indestructible ship some people think she is. She was a good tool who had good captains and crew, was used correctly to suit her strengths and minimise her weakness. Her museum and crew all testify to this.

A point of interest, the guns she has on deck have the Royal crown embossed on them.

I asked a crew member about this and was told, they were not original (replicas), it was a mistake by the manufacturer at creation.

He was more than a little red faced about this, which is understandable. No one else had noticed and its not ever pointed out.

This is the worst justification I keep seeing for not making guns and penetration, masts damage, hit points, grape etc as realistic as we can. How does this even make sense to people?

'Yeah. so umm, since most captains didn't even see action, I want 18 sail repairs and I want to be able to kill 300 crew with my grape in the stern'  :mellow: 

Im not talking about detailed damage, but length of battles. Now the battles seems to be a bit too long for a opc game. Few players have the time to spare to get the most out of this game as it is now.

Edited by fox2run

Yeah but if you look at the non wiki (outdated stuff)

How about the information provided by three decks, its class of ship was still Ship of the Line no matter what date.

It has two decks. The top deck does not count as a deck. Only second and first rates are considered three deckers.

It's pretty simple, ship of the line means strong enough to stand in line of battle. weakest ship considered a ship of the line in the early 19th century was a 74. Therefore, the term ship of the line changes over time.

a clan mate and myself did some testing on a santi against a vic at 200m and 100m the vic so out classes the santi that it is worthless to try to fight a vic now after the patch the santi is worthless other than against lower class ships

the vic was not able to be pen by anything other than the 42 at 200ms and at 100m only about half the 24s pens and all the 12s and 9s bounced tried with longs med and carro all suck

the vic on the other hand at 200m pen with the 42s and the 24s most 12s bounced at 100m even the 12s pen the santi 

after doing this 3 times i quit the game and prob wont come back till this is fixed if i ever come back this is just plain stupid the vic does about 2.5 damage to the santi as the santi does to vic why play anthing other than a vic

now if a santi cant kill a vic what do you think anyother ship will stand a chance this game will be all vics in about a week once everyone figures this out

we did this test last nite over about 2hr and it was just sad to see a ship so worthless against an other

game damage is beyond broke and game is not good shape so i will come back maybe when they fix this shit

Edited by Atomic Moose

Between before and after this hotix I would expect somewhere in the middle regarding the shot power and the staying power.

Also noticed that ball is back on the rigging damage ripping through canvas as good as chain. One of the great things I really enjoyed was that chain was back for good and with a decisive purpose.

Grape is okay'ish, didn't see nothing out of the ordinary ( tried the broaside with grape with mixed results and aiming at both the guns and at the rails ).

For some reason the visual cue for boarding is irregular. No idea if sometimes is only a visual bug but it doesn't pop up.

Pretty much spot on.

She was designed to be a fast interceptor, able to catch ships of lower class or fighting capability and able to run from those that could hurt her.

She was not designed to go toe to toe with anything larger, but was able to run from them. It was a valid tactical designed to interrupt British shipping using fewer ships and resources to maximum effect.

Of course, but she traded armament and crew for stowage and speed. No such compromise was made in the hull design. Her hull was almost the same size and built stronger (closer frame spacing) than contemporary 74s.

Had the joy of visiting her a couple of years ago and she is a magnificent ship, but she is not the indestructible ship some people think she is. She was a good tool who had good captains and crew, was used correctly to suit her strengths and minimise her weakness. Her museum and crew all testify to this.

They let you fire cannon at her hull?

Her weakness was not in her hull. She can't compete directly with a late 18th C. 74 or higher due to less firepower and less crew. This is reflected in game. She could easily compete with an early 18th C. 66-gun SoL because she has sufficient firepower, sufficient crew, and a much larger, much stronger hull. Again, the Ingermanland is closer in size to the Trincomalee than the Constitution.

In no way was I defending or attacking the Connie V's Ingermanland argument, but more the Connie should be tougher/weaker argument. I was just making an observation of peoples perceptions of the "unsinkable ship" <---I over exaggerate statement on my part. 

Fact, she was built for a purpose and used accordingly, her captains had the good sense to use her as such, not as a ship of the line.

She was broad for her class and carried heavier guns for her class too. The British did not have ships in her area of operations that could compete with her on all of her strengths. History reinforces this.

I'm also not saying she was a bad ship, for her time and her purpose, she was probably the best ship of her kind.

But she was not designed as a ship of the line and if used as such, would not faired as well.

I suppose the point I am trying to get across is:- the connie had an exceptional record of operation and people may expect here to perform better in game than what she does based on this.

Its early days still, lets see where we end up before all of the buff/nerf arguments take over the forums.

And for your viewing pleasure------>

IMG_5085_1.jpg

Edited by Jesters-Ink
  • Like 1

I think all those complains about penetration are just the result of the fact that game is way too much about sinking.. I think it would be better if sinking the ship would provide much smaller amount of experience and bonuses than capturing it.. after all, if you capture a ship, you gain a ship, and weaken your enemy by a ship, which kinda makes it 2x more impacting than just simply sinking it... (enemy losses the ship, but you wont gain anything...)

Similarly, battles should be probably more about disabling the enemy, victory in battle could be based on actual losses in battle - side with more men killed, more ships damaged, should be somehow penalized.. right now, its all or nothing... I think whole repairing is way to simple.. taking damage in battle is no big deal if you have repair kits.. you can repair yourself in few seconds after battle...

overall, base game meta around naval battles needs some work, because its way too much oriented towards sinking, and even players now kinda expect it to be all about sinking. (as it is the only way how to resolve battles)

• Like 1

my problem with this is there is no skill in the melee/capture side of battle. its whoever has most crew/best ping/best marines etc.

ping? how does ping affect anything in our game?

• Like 1

Admiral Byng case :)?

You are related to royal navy - royal navy never promoted rookies to senior officers. In game an officer is almost a member of admiralty board. Dont promote captains to officers if you can't trust them.

ps giving more options to officers was requested by multiple clans because clan creators were not there for them. We are not sure if its a good thing or not now.. maybe they should only be able to open one (but not close), as the risk is high and there should be some defence against dumb clicks.

Well maybe do it like in potbs. I belive you guys played it so no need to explain :P (I ve no clue about programming but should be pretty simple with ability to do action yes/no, no?)

I have heard people with higher pings complain of it for melee and my assumption would be for that last second decisive move? omitting the ping idea, melee is still not skill based.

• Like 1

and right now good luck demasting a ship it is almost impossible so how do you stop a ship to board it 

jam there is no way to really slow a ship down sure you can shoot sails all you want but even at 70% sail with the new damage models you can run out the times of the battles 

they broke the game and it needs to be made fun again

• Like 1

Last second click on attack.

It is very expensive, but with sufficient marines you can kill an even ship in a single attack vs Brace if the marine difference is high enough. And high marine counts come with enough prep to do this by default.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 1