Game-Labs Forum

A word from a non-french speaking person.

I recently joined after a few days offline and found out, that most of our ports are captured and it seems that we struggle to get them back, or even keep the few remaining.

I don't know how it is in the dutch or swedish chat, but one drawback for combined operations for the french faction in the game is, that almost 95% of the chat is in french. My french is rather rudimentary. I can get my restaurant order right during holiday or ask for the way and that's it. So I miss most of the chat messages in french. I can imagine that a lot of people who sail for France have the same problem and either misunderstand or even ignore the chat completly and rather stay in the general chat, because thats mostly english.

It would help organized defense and offensive actions if those would be done solely in english. I would even join teamspeak, but being rather bad at understanding written french I would completly fail to understand mumbled french over a headphone with everybody talking at the same time in a busy teamspeak channel.

I am sure even bad english would help more in this situation then keeping the chat 95% french.

Lets hope we get our ports back soon!

• Like 1

Hi,

A lot of French players (like myself) can speak english. If you need any information just ask in english on the french chat people will reply to you in english. You can also join our TS. Some of us would be more than happy to pratice our langage skills ;-)

Edited by Tenakha Kan
  • Like 2

I recently joined after a few days offline and found out, that most of our ports are captured and it seems that we struggle to get them back, or even keep the few remaining.

I don't know how it is in the dutch or swedish chat, but one drawback for combined operations for the french faction in the game is, that almost 95% of the chat is in french. My french is rather rudimentary. I can get my restaurant order right during holiday or ask for the way and that's it. So I miss most of the chat messages in french. I can imagine that a lot of people who sail for France have the same problem and either misunderstand or even ignore the chat completly and rather stay in the general chat, because thats mostly english.

It would help organized defense and offensive actions if those would be done solely in english. I would even join teamspeak, but being rather bad at understanding written french I would completly fail to understand mumbled french over a headphone with everybody talking at the same time in a busy teamspeak channel.

I am sure even bad english would help more in this situation then keeping the chat 95% french.

Lets hope we get our ports back soon!

Yea it s totally true, French nation, must have something like 95% of french speaker only... It s a real problem in order to find a biggest player base. but, the problem is, many, many french can't write or speak english. Even my very bad english is good for a french guy lol...

I must admit, we have a big lake of players, some left for pirates, some other just stop play, cause the game can't satisfied anybody, and we can't count on other country players because language barrier. I can't tell you how make things betters, but yes for an independant english speaker player, the life in french nation shouldn't be so hard... You need make or join some english speaking clans or creat it i think... Between GM we can speak bad english together :) 

• Like 1

Hi Banana_Joe

I'm Horail, French Captain and officer of FRL.

We hire french and english speaker, and most of our french players unterstand english.

At the moment we have to few english speaker on ts to fully speak english on it, but when 1 of them is on the ts, i push everyone to try to speak english or i'll mostly try to translate if it's needed

On the nation TS, you can also ask the "english speaker" flag, that will show the lead of the fleet that someone speak english and may not understand french, so he should be able to translate lead orders or lead in english if everyone understand it.

If we were able to gather a least 25 english speaker it will be great, and should be able to create an english speaking fleet.

You can join me in game if you have any question.

Regards

• Like 1

Wow.

What an exceptional expression of cooperation. It is truly heart warming and inspiring to hear the helpful suggestions in this thread.

Thanks to everyone for responding in such a friendly manner. It is very encouraging to read this thread.

• Like 2

Or just join us Swedes, we're running things 95% in English already while any language preferences are kept to individual clans, so there's something for everyone. :D I'd guess that the Dutch have something similar going on as well.

*shameless recruitment* ^^

Shame on you :P  .

I think we all know that all nation have english speaking chat expect france and spain.

In my opinion it's more about how to promote english people to play in France, how to get them coordinate with others.

But i'm sure that you are very appel to change to french nation. So i will be glad to store your stuff and asset to recreate your caracter  :rolleyes:

I heard that the Danes were frustrated with all the cyrillic, but perhaps that was during the earlier stages of the game, not sure how it is nowadays.

Sadly a huge percentage of French doesn't speak english at all <_< . Good luck to you Sir with your undertaking.

My sister and a couple friends studied abroad and found out that almost every European nation has English as a second language taught in school from elementary on through high school. Here in America, only 2 years are required of only one other nation...I'm not certain it is other nations lacking in worldwide conversational language. just sayin :)

We are taught 2 foreign languages, but they way we are taught isn't the best. Most people aren't able to hold a conversation after 7 years of learning. (efficiency, yay!)

That being said, everytime someone speaks english in the french nation chat, people answer in english, so... i guess we're able to jabber a little ;)

My two cents on this... im perfectly bilingual but most of my clan mates were engligh speaking only... They found it very hard trying to get into PB since none of them understood french. Some french player  even went as far as to say that they were never gonna be trusted and were always been seen as spy for the brits... They had no choice but to leave the french nation.

My two cents on this... im perfectly bilingual but most of my clan mates were engligh speaking only... They found it very hard trying to get into PB since none of them understood french. Some french player  even went as far as to say that they were never gonna be trusted and were always been seen as spy for the brits... They had no choice but to leave the french nation.

Wow...

Now I suddenly feel perfectly fine about us being called british lapdogs all the time  :lol:

Folks, idiots exist everywhere.

A lot of new french players join France thinking it is for french speaking users only. Then they see someone speaking in Chinese (yes, we have a few) or English in the chat and freak out.

Takes one person to explain that France is a nation in Naval Action and not the language for say. Therefore anyone can join France and all languages are welcome.

What could be helpful is some color tag we could add to our name in the chat so that others can immediately see if we are french speaking only, french + english, english only, other

Typical example is someone in the chat informing others that an enemy trader is spotted close to a port and he receives no answer or support simply because he used english as a language! If he could see that there is only french speaking folks active in the  chat at the time, he would realize that there is a low chance someone will answer him.

I have a mix on sadness and relieve with this topic......  used to think only spanish faction having this sort of problems.....  ^_^   

Fortunately, I see lately more languages in "Spain" chat ...and less grunts when this is done , as a more international mix joins it and people get accustomed

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of people chatting everyday in English in the France channel, and there is no major communication problem as far as I'm concerned.

When I sail to Spanish coasts (good cigars, good rhum and pretty girls in taverns) I try to speak Spanish or English with the captain I met, and it was always a pleasure.