Game-Labs Forum

Suggested rules change

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I didn't find any that seemed better suited.

Anyway, to the point. I was reading over the Forum and Sea Trial Rules and I've got a suggestion for a slight addition to rule 3.

3. Personal attacks, racism and discrimination are prohibited

Personal attacks are posts that insult another forum user directly or discuss user’s personal life or situation. Posts that include race, religion or sexual preference based personal attacks and trolling can result in immediate suspension. Such behavior will not be tolerated.

Rule 3. specifically protects people from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, and sexual preference. While it provides general protection to "user's personal life or situation," I would be grateful for the addition of "gender identity" to the list of specific protections. People with a gender identity not matching their physical sex are a very marginalized and discriminated against group, and that's just on top of a very difficult existence in general.

Thank you for your time.

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I didn't find any that seemed better suited.

Anyway, to the point. I was reading over the Forum and Sea Trial Rules and I've got a suggestion for a slight addition to rule 3.

3. Personal attacks, racism and discrimination are prohibited

Personal attacks are posts that insult another forum user directly or discuss user’s personal life or situation. Posts that include race, religion or sexual preference based personal attacks and trolling can result in immediate suspension. Such behavior will not be tolerated.

Rule 3. specifically protects people from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, and sexual preference. While it provides general protection to "user's personal life or situation," I would be grateful for the addition of "gender identity" to the list of specific protections. People with a gender identity not matching their physical sex are a very marginalized and discriminated against group, and that's just on top of a very difficult existence in general.

Thank you for your time.

Have there been examples within the game or the forums where a player/poster was discriminated against based on their "gender identity"?

Excuse me - But may I ask how a gamer would know about someone's gender identity choice? Honestly unless the person who identifies with being a different gender brings the topic up (which would be him/her throwing gender issues in the faces of people who may not have the same view) there is absolutely NO way to know over a computer game what gender a gamer identifies with!

However by seeking protection via games rules from people giving said opposite gender chooser a hard time in game, you are actually seeking protection from "retaliation" after having thrown it in people faces, not "persecution" which is other people hunting you down and attacking you for your choices.

So in essence you want protections to flout your gender and sexual choices before the gaming committee, then the ability to get someone banned if they aren't smart enough to ignore you but instead say something to your face.

This sir is a very very dangerous proposal and it not in good keeping with mutual respect for everyone's choices. I am not going to talk about my sexual preferences nor flout them in the faces (of anyone honestly, that's a private thing between my partner and I) of people who may have a different viewpoint and therefore be made uncomfortable. This is called "decency", "common courtesy", and having "mutual respect", for your fellow community members to live their lives as they choose. 

Seeking laws to protect you under the guise of "persecution" seems to be nothing more than a sham to provide you with an umbrella to duck under after having disrespected your fellow gamer's choices enough that they are tired of hearing of your sexual and gender choices.  

On top of that I would very much encourage you sir to consider that laws and rules will not change anyone's opinion about your gender choice, they will not make you liked nor respected any more or any less for their existence, or lack thereof. So instead treat others as you would have yourself be treated. If you can't take people talking about gender and sexual choices that aren't similar to yours, maybe you shouldn't be talking about that? Everyone's going to have a different viewpoints and choice. Please do not seek special protections for a select class of people. That in itself seeks to create inequality among players by providing one group more protections than another. 

The only way your proposal would be fair, is if people get banned for flaunting their sexual and gender choices along with those who attack other with different sexual and gender choices. If you bait someone, don't be surprised if they bite.

Excuse me - But may I ask how a gamer would know about someone's gender identity choice? Honestly unless the person who identifies with being a different gender brings the topic up (which would be him/her throwing gender issues in the faces of people who may not have the same view) there is absolutely NO way to know over a computer game what gender a gamer identifies with!

However by seeking protection via games rules from people giving said opposite gender chooser a hard time in game, you are actually seeking protection from "retaliation" after having thrown it in people faces, not "persecution" which is other people hunting you down and attacking you for your choices.

So in essence you want protections to flout your gender and sexual choices before the gaming committee, then the ability to get someone banned if they aren't smart enough to ignore you but instead say something to your face.

This sir is a very very dangerous proposal and it not in good keeping with mutual respect for everyone's choices. I am not going to talk about my sexual preferences nor flout them in the faces (of anyone honestly, that's a private thing between my partner and I) of people who may have a different viewpoint and therefore be made uncomfortable. This is called "decency", "common courtesy", and having "mutual respect", for your fellow community members to live their lives as they choose. 

Seeking laws to protect you under the guise of "persecution" seems to be nothing more than a sham to provide you with an umbrella to duck under after having disrespected your fellow gamer's choices enough that they are tired of hearing of your sexual and gender choices.  

On top of that I would very much encourage you sir to consider that laws and rules will not change anyone's opinion about your gender choice, they will not make you liked nor respected any more or any less for their existence, or lack thereof. So instead treat others as you would have yourself be treated. If you can't take people talking about gender and sexual choices that aren't similar to yours, maybe you shouldn't be talking about that? Everyone's going to have a different viewpoints and choice. Please do not seek special protections for a select class of people. That in itself seeks to create inequality among players by providing one group more protections than another. 

The only way your proposal would be fair, is if people get banned for flaunting their sexual and gender choices along with those who attack other with different sexual and gender choices. If you bait someone, don't be surprised if they bite.

Please read the response that I wrote in the linked post above.

To the OP: 

We don't need to add it specifically, harassment and abuse are already not tolerated.

Thank you for posting.