Game-Labs Forum

Nelson's Victory

Capt Hornblower

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing in that video talks about the Victories agility at sea.  

I will add everywhere I read about the victory that posted speeds on pegged it at around 8-11knots

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

http://www.militaryfactory.com/ships/detail-page-2.asp?ship_id=HMS-Victory

The video doesn't but some of the records like to state that the Victory could quite happily keep to a line of thirds, there are also numerous accounts of the ability of Sir Thomas Slade as a naval architect suggesting he was by some weight the finest shipwright of the time, surpassing even his French contemporaries. There has to be something said of someone who designed 8 of the 27 line ships used by the British at Trafalgar and another 2 used by the French.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

The video doesn't but some of the records like to state that the Victory could quite happily keep to a line of thirds, there are also numerous accounts of the ability of Sir Thomas Slade as a naval architect suggesting he was by some weight the finest shipwright of the time, surpassing even his French contemporaries. There has to be something said of someone who designed 8 of the 27 line ships used by the British at Trafalgar and another 2 used by the French.

What records?

There has to be something said of someone who designed 8 of the 27 line ships used by the British at Trafalgar and another 2 used by the French.

Especially considering that Slade´s ships were 40 to 50 years old at the time of Trafalgar. And he certainly was one of the most talented shipwrights in the 18th century, if I had to choose a Top 3, that´d be Slade, af Chapman and Blaise Ollivier (followed by Pangallo and Sané)

• 4 weeks later...

What records?

There are quite a few records kept in the archives of the royal maritime museum and royal dockyards. There are also a few mentions that it was the most agile ship of its size in the British fleet, being able to turn more readily than any of its contemporary 3 deckers and almost keeping up to the 2 deckers when it came to attempting sharp manoeuvres.

Especially considering that Slade´s ships were 40 to 50 years old at the time of Trafalgar. And he certainly was one of the most talented shipwrights in the 18th century, if I had to choose a Top 3, that´d be Slade, af Chapman and Blaise Ollivier (followed by Pangallo and Sané)

Why would you choose Ollivier over Sane? I can find precious little information about his ships, as opposed to his written work.

Because Ollivier introduced the classical frigate design into european ship-building, 'his' apple-shaped hull was used until the late 1810s and a lot of prominent french shipwrights studied under him at Brest (J.-L. Coulomb, Deslaurier, Tupinier, Geoffroy and, of course, his son, J.-L. Ollivier). He also was the first shipwright to accurately calculate displacement with the trapezoid method (1727, Le Fleuron).

His Remarques sur la Marine des Anglois et Hollandois is well worth a read :)