Game-Labs Forum

19 mln vs 60 thousand - the cost of crew - moderated

Oh wow, boarding will be more importent ?, Well let me say it politely, boarding is so far almost the end of the game (between 200 and 650 people online). The boarding upgrades are far to powerful compared to all other upgrades you can get. If with my mods I had a gatling gun on board I would not mind but right now you need a cutter with boarding mods and you win against a santi.

And history itself showed you cannot just board. Nelson Victory was close to be boarded by the french. The were all on railing ready to board. 1 single broadside of grape killed 550 guys instantly and 124 were severely injured. But here ? nothing happens when I shoot a broadside (we tried it out in a duell) I killed 34 guys.

So why should I waste time to build nice ships. I take just anything get boarding mods and kill everybody. there are almost no real battles anymore and it will be just a matter of time until all port battles will be done like this. Because even heavily dammaged ships sail still as fast as before.

and also be honest the boarding screen is not exactly brilliant (state of the art) which tells us it was not meant to be   a   or    the major part of the game.

Lots of people I know almost stopped playing because they think no battle no game.

And now I have to stay in harbour because I have not the money to hire enough sailors or even worse they are not available at all ?? So maybe if I'm lucky I find one and have to put him in my warehouse so he doesn't run away lol ?

I think nobody really feels shitty if he looses a ship after a good fight against somebody better when he is sinking. But an expensive ship stolen within 2 min gets you very angry.

example why do reinforced masts slow down a ship , but all the mats like boarding ladders, barricades not, it's weight and not aerodynamic .

Conclusion: if naval action is reduced to a dos-framed boarding battle and ship building, sailing and the rest of skills a good sailor has to have is not importend anymore, then this game is doomed

Oh wow, boarding will be more importent ?, Well let me say it politely, boarding is so far almost the end of the game (between 200 and 650 people online). The boarding upgrades are far to powerful compared to all other upgrades you can get. If with my mods I had a gatling gun on board I would not mind but right now you need a cutter with boarding mods and you win against a santi.

And history itself showed you cannot just board. Nelson Victory was close to be boarded by the french. The were all on railing ready to board. 1 single broadside of grape killed 550 guys instantly and 124 were severely injured. But here ? nothing happens when I shoot a broadside (we tried it out in a duell) I killed 34 guys.

So why should I waste time to build nice ships. I take just anything get boarding mods and kill everybody. there are almost no real battles anymore and it will be just a matter of time until all port battles will be done like this. Because even heavily dammaged ships sail still as fast as before.

and also be honest the boarding screen is not exactly brilliant (state of the art) which tells us it was not meant to be   a   or    the major part of the game.

Lots of people I know almost stopped playing because they think no battle no game.

And now I have to stay in harbour because I have not the money to hire enough sailors or even worse they are not available at all ?? So maybe if I'm lucky I find one and have to put him in my warehouse so he doesn't run away lol ?

I think nobody really feels shitty if he looses a ship after a good fight against somebody better when he is sinking. But an expensive ship stolen within 2 min gets you very angry.

example why do reinforced masts slow down a ship , but all the mats like boarding ladders, barricades not, it's weight and not aerodynamic .

Conclusion: if naval action is reduced to a dos-framed boarding battle and ship building, sailing and the rest of skills a good sailor has to have is not importend anymore, then this game is doomed

I concur that the boarding mini game needs some love.

I would really like to see it take on a similar shape as the main game.  You assign so many so many to attack, so many to muskets, etc, and then when they finish prep, just like loading a cannon, you are able to engage them in that capacity or hold them in brace until the right moment.

Built on waves, so that limited groups engage, attack, etc, and you have to decide where to put your priority times. 

It also needs more back and forth.  Right now once you get ahead on crew, it's simply a matter of time and patience before you win.

I saw someone talking about crew moral and a big idea popped in my mind maybe you can have a way to change completly the gameplay of pirate faction!

• For exemple when a regular nation ship's crew have his moral to 0 it start to flee and the captain loose the capacity to stir his ship anymore and it become like an IA fleeing ship. (that is not specially pirate I know ^^)
  • if she succeed to flee, you loose one durability cause your crew mutinied and you lost it with your crew. The ship with it's crew then goes enforce the pirate nation either being available in the nearest pirate harbour or maybe the capitale (it's to be determined if it's a 1 dura or full dura but 1 dura should be good)
  • another idea can be if you don't have enough gold to pay them.
  • the morale should be very well maid for not loosing your ship so easily maybe if you behave very badly in front of favorite odds for example

now not pirate ideas just about morale and crew management

• for not preventing explosion when the captain wants to blow his ship in the middle of enemy fleet you hould be able to make you crew abandon ship like a common crew assignment so you can keep a certain amount of crew to be able to steer your ship in the good place for explosion.
  • the crew either desappear and goes back to your warehouses or it flees towards allies spawn zone and you can ask them to go back to your ship and pick them up, if not they would go back to your warehouses and you'll be short on crew.

All fine except for the fact that in a REAL world you wouldn't finish a battle and then suddenly have a dozen enemy surrounding you at 100 yards that you never saw coming

True. That sucks, both for competition and immersion. AND there is no end to it. You may be faced with a dozen enemy at 100 yards after the next battle ... And the next ... Infinitely. You describe a game mechanic where winning is not possible and it is completely unrealistic.

Perhaps there is a way to have:

crews that must be hired and paid and have moral.

limited crews to hire in the cities,

crew need supplies: water, food, care, weapons,...

special crew members:

officers, doctor, ship carpenter, fitter,...the cook!

different skills, sailor, gunner,...and skills can be improved, trained.

crew can be killed, healed (faster if you have a doctor), changed, taken from boarded ships,..

And tweak the end of battle system.

Edit: further discussion on the endless spawn amongst enemy http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14764-cant-outrun-the-enemy/

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I feared the crew mechanics completely went wrong.

As I understood it, it was meant as a measure against 1st rate hype.

But now it's only another gimmick which makes life in NA more problematic.

No more capturing of traders to send them to an outpost and then sailing back from there to your home port, because ... uhm ... you have only minimum crew at the outpost (from sending the trader) which means sailing with penalty.

When you loose a battle, you are punished because of dura loss. And now you are double punished because of crew loss. Instead of choosing free, you are forced to surrender because then you loose no additional crew.

Is this really meant seriously? I hate everything which constrains your freedom of choice.

I would love to see more surrendering out of both players and NPCs.  But without the major loss of xp from the loss of the kill.   Perhaps changes to the moral system, adding it to even the ship sailing and not in the boarding screen.

But ultimately it is up to the captain of the vessel to surrender.   But if a NPC ship is a combat vessel it should hold out longer than a merchant vessel. 

Both Pirates, Privateers, and Navy Frigate captains made a fair bit of income off of capturing merchant vessels of enemy nations.  

I have to agree the NPCs currently fight to the death even after loosing all of their armor.  A system to award XP should be developed providing the players ships that damaged the ship a portion of the XP.  I don't want every NPC to immediately surrender every ship.  But an adjustment to the current system should be considered.