Game-Labs Forum

"Such is a lord" - Simple politics and alliances part 1 - HEAVILY MODERATED

Allied Access to ports - Diplomacy.

This should be an option to prevent clans just deciding to give up a port to allow allied access to territory that really then just land locks and stifles the poor punters that are not part of a clan and have no idea when these changes happen.

This would also help because clans tend to be so afraid of spies that they don't announce it to anybody apart from their common clan team speak. 

• Like 1

Allied Access to ports - Diplomacy.

This should be an option to prevent clans just deciding to give up a port to allow allied access to territory that really then just land locks and stifles the poor punters that are not part of a clan and have no idea when these changes happen.

This would also help because clans tend to be so afraid of spies that they don't announce it to anybody apart from their common clan team speak. 

I agree. We must have a communication system. Also, diplomacy must be part of the game. This means a nation needs a body which decides on its international relations and who communicates its decisions to the rest of the national players.

I found out by chance in the nation chat that Port Antonio was given to the Dutch 'on loan'. Our clan had no idea, nor was it given the opportunity to vote on it. Who decided it was unknown to us.

PS. As to the fear of 'spies', this seems to be widespread among people who take the game overly seriously, and begin to play their roles as if it were real life. When that happens, it is dangerous to mental health, IMHO.

Edited by Lannes

This is what will happen based on recent history. The largest factions or alliances will predominate and persecute smaller factions to extinction. After all its great fun to win but its not much fun to get crushed day after day. I have no confidence in the player-run society to act reasonably. Whatever diplomacy mechanic is put in place there has to be a higher authority that can overturn nations/alliances if they get to a point that smaller nations are being destroyed. I have no confidence at all in the proposed system if there is no oversight.

There needs to be protection for the smaller clans or smaller nations and for individual players who, for their own legitimate reasons, do not want to be in a clan.

We need more NATIONS as well. There is no reason why the Kingdom of Italy 'Regia Marina', the Neapolitan Navy, the Prussian Navy and the Imperial Russian Navy should not be represented. This would gather together nationalities otherwise attached to nations that do not speak their language, with all the problems that begets.

Edited by Lannes
  • Like 1

There needs to be protection for the smaller clans or smaller nations and for individual players who, for their own legitimate reasons, do not want to be in a clan.

We need more NATIONS as well. There is no reason why the Kingdom of Italy 'Regia Marina', the Neapolitan Navy, the Prussian Navy and the Imperial Russian Navy should not be represented. This would gather together nationalities otherwise attached to nations that do not speak their language, with all the problems that begets.

We don't need any more nations in my opinion. Players are spread out as it is, especially when server numbers drop some nations are nearly dead. Spreading them out more would just lead to a bigger problem.

However I do agree with your first statement.

Simple rules.

• Ask a question if you need a clarification – if you have questions in your post – just leave questions and post comments in other post. Dont mix questions with comments
  • If you don’t like something – propose alternative explaining how yours will work better
  • If you don’t like something but have nothing to say – stay silent.
  • Always quote the point you are referring to
  • Off topic/Ranting = friendly silence will be applied for a week.

Topic describes who can vote and how in determining national policies and nothing else. 

Alliances

All nations are at war with each other/ Unless you have signed an alliance

Alliance gives the following options

• You can support each other in port battles
  • You can enter each other battles
  • You can enter each other ports
  • You can build in each other ports

Any nation can have 2 alliances (maybe three) to eventually force all nations into 3 blocks.

Potential other states of national relationship

• Neutrality/Peace agreement
  • Trade war
  • War 

The rulers/parliament initiate the proposal.

The proposal is voted by lords.

If both nations have proposed and voted the peaceful change in the national relationship it is formally signed for 30 days (or longer?) and must be mutual

War can be shorter (until war points level reached declaring a winner) and does not have to be mutual

Who can vote:

• Voting system is based on the simplest and oldest mechanic of all. Owning land.
  • If you own land you can vote – you are the landlord – or simply lord
  • If you don’t own land you can exhibit heroic feats – then you can become a lord and get land by lets say winning a lot in PVP
  • If you don’t have heroic feats you can marry into the Lordship by buying a special item
  • To get land you have to capture a port. Thats why all ports start neutral (except for capitals)
  • Every port grants from 25 to X estates depending on port size
  • After you won the port battle you are allocated estates based on your rank
  • If there are less winners than 25 lord protector gets the difference
  • Lord protector is a person who earned most victory points in the port battle (port assault flag will be abandoned)

Number of estates owned determines your court rank. Your court rank might give you additional points.

• Person with most estates will become a ruler
  • Top 50 (or maybe more) estate owners become parliament
  • They get a separate parliament chat for private political discussions

Ports are controlled by lords. Lord protector can determine entry rights

National decisions are enforced by design.

If captains don't like national policies - capture more ports and change the decision. Maybe a large guild in opposition to a government should get an option to become a rebel, starting a civil war allowing them to capture ports from existing owners getting votes to change national decision deposing a current ruler. Foreign nations can incite civil wars and pay rebels to weaken enemy nations

Making ports valuable.

Owning ports = owning land

If you own land you have more people

More people means 2 things:

• Increase labor hours generation for estate owner which could spill to the nation as well
  • Increase crew regeneration – because crew has to be hired and fed and rehired in case of full loss of the ship

Short inspirational guide on the differences between lords

The baron wears a cap with 6 pearls. The Viscount wears a coronet of which the pearls are without number. The Earl the coronet with the pears upon points mingled with strawberry leaves. The Marquis one with pearls and leaves. The Duke, one with strawberry leaves – no pearls. The Royal Duke, a circlet of crosses and fleurs de lys. The Prince, crown like that of the King but unclosed.

The Duke is his Grace; the other Peers their Lordshps. Most honorable is higher than right honorable. Lords who are peers are lords in their own right. Lords who are not peers are lords by courtesy. There are no real lords excepting such as are peers.

This document does not discuss piracy vs privateering: this will be discussed in a separate topic. Do not bring pirate discussions into this!

Imo this is the right approach to end the reign of clans.Newbies are a bit disadvantaged, but it is a fair game if you are able to marry in. It gives you security on WAR/PEACE matter, and there is no more giving ports away for "loan" or to buy peace on time.

I'm kind of confused after reading those posts. Will there now be a "landlord" patch or not? Because if not I actualy can directly uninstall. This Game needs more contend for the max. LV players. I just can not achieve anything more and that just makes me frustrated. Thus I dont play right now.

When I look at the upcoming patch notes, there is no "landlord patch" announced. Just the War/Peace patch.

Edited by Twig

I'm kind of confused after reading those posts. Will there now be a "landlord" patch or not? Because if not I actualy can directly uninstall. This Game needs more contend for the max. LV players. I just can not achieve anything more and that just makes me frustrated. Thus I dont play right now.

When I look at the upcoming patch notes, there is no "landlord patch" announced. Just the War/Peace patch.

War & Peace = landlording :)

Switch sides or start all over again ? Another fraction?

Switch sides or start all over again ? Another fraction?

I dont think, that is the solution for the problem...

You can start over by loosing gold etc... but not your level nor crafting level.

And I dont think also that someone wants to farm himself up again... So theres no way by starting over again. To change the faction will not change anything there. Its about if you hit the max lv. you can not achieve anything anymore. You will just do what you always did... Bp's over Bp's...

You can start over by loosing gold etc... but not your level nor crafting level.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the game on your computer?  I can't swear to it, but this may wipe your XP and crafting level?  You should try it.  Then you can start over if that works.  If you truly are bored but want to continue gameplay because you like the game then this would seem to be your best path.  If it doesn't appeal to you, then nothing can be done really, and you are better off just not playing anymore and waiting for the final game to be produced, or else play another game.  For those who want to just go through a game to the end, they are always going to get bored with a game.  For those who actually enjoy the gameplay itself, it doesn't get boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick thought, because I know if there is a loophole, it will be exploited.  Since we can switch nations fairly easily, it might be prudent to require a voter to have a certain residency requirement, of say a couple weeks or a month, to vote.  A few votes could swing an election.  And I shudder to think it, but I can think of certain larger "nations" that might have a dozen players switch to another much smaller nation just to swing an election, then switch back.

This might be irrelevant under the system the developers are considering, or they may have already thought of this.

Quick thought, because I know if there is a loophole, it will be exploited.  Since we can switch nations fairly easily, it might be prudent to require a voter to have a certain residency requirement, of say a couple weeks or a month, to vote.  A few votes could swing an election.  And I shudder to think it, but I can think of certain larger "nations" that might have a dozen players switch to another much smaller nation just to swing an election, then switch back.

This might be irrelevant under the system the developers are considering, or they may have already thought of this.

If you switch nation you lose the title. you will have to FIGHT for it again.

• Like 1

Do we really need all that micro management on how we play the game?

Why not have a simple faction standing? Every time you kill a player or AI from one faction you loose standings with that faction but gain standings with another faction. If standings are high enough you can enter ports ect, if standings are low enough the AI fleets attack you on sight, Neutral standings could in the middle between love and hate.

I am talking about faction standings for the entire nation not individual, but each individuals action effects the nations standings.

Killing pirate players could increase standings with all nations.

Edited by Fletch67

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few questions:

With the addition of these new features in the game, will there still be room for players who do not want to be involved with politics and just want to pvp, craft, trade, etc...?

-Will the transition to this system affect people who already have shipyards and/or mines, forest, etc..? 

-If so how will it affect them?

>>

All nations are at war with each other/ Unless you have signed an alliance

Alliance gives the following options

You can support each other in port battles

You can enter each other battles

You can enter each other ports

You can build in each other ports

>>

-Will there still be on the map permanent "Free Towns" that will not be affected by the political system?

>>

If both nations have proposed and voted the peaceful change in the national relationship it is formally signed for 30 days (or longer?) and must be mutual 

>>

-If one build an outpost in an allied port (allied for 30 days or more) what happens to their holdings when the alliance is not renewed?

I'm not much into politics in general and rather like the sailing and fighting part of this game, yet these changes might possibly add some focus and direction as well as more strategic decisions and group efforts.