Game-Labs Forum

Positional reinforcements and ROE

Don't do it.... don't kill game again plz. If few PVE players can't, that does not figure.

1,5x BR Limit Enabled - 1200-1400 captains online max

1,5x BR Limit Disabled - back to 1500-1700. Am i the only one who sees a pattern here?

This BR limit destroy the game. Many good players quit. Bring it again and lose more players. Good job!!!

Next step - nerf the pirates - lose more players. Your show must go on..

At the end another 40€ for the dustbin.

Edited by C0deX

Pirates must be nerfed, now they are not pirates - they are one more nation which can be named Italia.

And a Ship must have only ohne dura.

Only 1 Santi and 1 Vic in the caribbean. Not a Fleet with them or the wrong nations.

And pls no PB 25 vs 25 line ships.

Thats all not realistic

No fear. The devs will respond to your cry.

Edited by C0deX

In case anyone was unsure of where i stood on this topic from the other 3 threads about the 1.5br rule,

No i would not like to see its return.

Its terrible for the game and fails to solve any of  the stated problems it was implemented to resolve.

How bout we gave slamz, or  Neil Terkildsen's, or my own ideas a test run?

Or maybe just remove all restriction and let the blood flow.  There is your money sink.

So i just ran through the thread and did a quick tally of counts either by comment or "like" of a comment stating whether someone was for or against the return of the 1.5br.   Those that didnt state clearly if they were for or against a return were not counted.

My Count:

For: 13

• otto kohl
  • vaz
  • bungeelemming
  • galilues
  • larryfromsales
  • maturin
  • seahyena
  • seawolf
  • blackjack morgan
  • aradian44
  • hugo van grojt
  • wind
  • mrdoomed  (joking)

Against: 41

• niels terkildsen
  • tsavolrae
  • jerome
  • alan demarest
  • dekomoridesu
  • kiefer cain
  • _x_Apophis_x_
  • pietjenoob
  • fonseca
  • intrepido
  • sir robert calder
  • amosblanco
  • bach
  • templarcrusader
  • dekto
  • isink a lot
  • marten van de verde
  • shepherd
  • amonacc
  • dar veter
  • fox2run
  • slamz
  • vaan de vries
  • carljcharles
  • techn05
  • blacklockdown
  • otmatt
  • longbeard
  • arsilon
  • vonkollenberg
  • quineloe
  • captain
  • blackknight64
  • dek
  • burca
  • scout
  • eishen
  • di FRD
  • mouse of war
  • c0dex
  • Babble

That count along with the poll slamz linked i think clearly show what the majority of your player base feel about the return of the 1.5 br rule.

Pirates must be nerfed, now they are not pirates - they are one more nation which can be named Italia. 

We are equal to all other nations as far as game mechanics go with the exception of being able to fight each other. why do want a nerf? 

Looks like someone's been spanked recently by Prates and has some butt hurt maybe?

Besides, this is OT...

Edited by Long Beard

We are equal to all other nations as far as game mechanics go with the exception of being able to fight each other. why do want a nerf? 

Looks like someone's been spanked recently by Prates and has some butt hurt.

Besides, this is OT!

Why pirates sailing on 1st rates ? why you can capture towns ? So why you must be named pirates ? Italia or Latvia more better.

Dont like the 1.5 br limit at all. Several times i have been surrounded by 6-7 players or even more sometimes and I have always got away. Dont sail deep into enemy territory in a ship thats is not fast. Defensive tag and a fast ship will get you out of most situations. I have no problem at all with being ganked or ganking others

• Like 2

Personally, i don't see a problem. I was ganged up by 4 others trying to circle around me on OW. I gave them a little rope a dope and when they popped a battle i found the weakest upwind ship (downwind was open but obviously a trap) and put holes in him.

A lot of ships have upwind speed and angles that allow escape or isolation of an opponent possible. Using an envelopement is risky in this regard.

But anyways, the larger battle circle lower join timer solves this too.

Relax, as posted it's only temporary.

It wouldn't likely matter even if it only lasted temporarily one week. A month or more is probably what it would be. War gamers and especially PVPrs are a different breed. They don't log in a couple times a week or even take weeks off. Most of us log in every single day for our pvp fix. The 1.5 BR rules biggest flaw is that it destroys team play. No matter how well intentioned. As soon as one member of a dedicated team finds another game even somewhat exceptable to the rest our chances of ever seeing them in NA again shrink greatly. The more solo oriented players would probably not be affected but we would begin to lose the teams if we ever bring the 1.5BR rule back no matter how temporary.

Edited by Bach

In the real world, there were anyway a lot of differences from this game OW engagement, so this can't be used as an excuse in favour or against that "rule".

At that time, in general, the most critical thing is to see the enemy before they see you and to gain the wind advantage. 

If a "small" ship had encountered an enemy fleet and that "small" ship was downwind, usually that ship was sunk or captured. Over.

Here you have more time, you see enemies when they see you (at least if you look around...), you have defensive tag, you can ask for help in a chat etc etc etc.

Once a battle is started, Dev left it opens for 2 minutes. 

In the real world, the time limit was the time the battle lasted. Hours, sometimes. And if that area was full of enemy ships they for sure were trying to outwind you. It is called strategy and tactic.

If you meet superior enemy forces, plan accordingly. Defensive tag. See how many enters into battle from the beginning. If there is the risk other ship enters from another direction, plan a different way. If you can't flee, because they really outnumber you, lost that dura with honor.

And now, with the limitation on the number of 3rd and up going around, usually battles are much more realistic and funny than before. 

You choose your way of sailing, you choose how many risks you wanna take, from sailing alone in the enemy territory to don't sail at all...

So, to summarize this unstructured thought, I just say:

- If you put too many limitation, you will not limit gank. You will limit people to enjoy the game. The only problem is transition from OW to battle for the different time scale between those 2 instances, but 2 minutes limit is imho in the range of the right balance. 

- I really don't understand why in the battle you start with guns to be loaded. In the real world, usually, ships prepared for battle well before the battle begins... 

- positional stuff is good.

- 1.5BR limit is not useful or needed

just my 2 cents,

ciao

Just looking forward to the new ROE, whatever it is. Currently this is NA's PvP:

1v1 in equal ships: 90% of the people run

1v1 when aggressor is in smaller ship: 60% of the people run

3v1 anyone nearby who can pile in to join the numerical superior force is more than eager to due so

5+ v1 you have to hold a lottery to see who can join the line is long 

Makes you wonder if 90% of the people run from a 1v1, then what do we take from the majority of these posts? Anyways, flame away....

• Like 4

Just looking forward to the new ROE, whatever it is. Currently this is NA's PvP:

Same here, the open world PvP is pitiful. I've had a lot of fun in small battles, they have actually been very fun & skill based, something open world is lacking badly.

3v1 anyone nearby who can pile in to join the numerical superior force is more than eager to due so

Makes you wonder if 90% of the people run from a 1v1, then what do we take from the majority of these posts? Anyways, flame away....

This is sandbox pvp and it's been like this since pretty much day 1 of OW and will remain so, don't think any roe will be changing that if they intend to keep this game as a sandbox. To bait people to fight back you have to basicly gimp yourself by attacking people who are in bigger ships. 

Also have noticed people tend to leave their nationmates under the bus so to speak when they could actually reinforce the guy in trouble many times by casually sailing by pretending to not notice or just wiser to not risk their durability for some random who they don't even know.

• Like 1

This is sandbox pvp and it's been like this since pretty much day 1 of OW and will remain so, don't think any roe will be changing that if they intend to keep this game as a sandbox. To bait people to fight back you have to basicly gimp yourself by attacking people who are in bigger ships. 

Also have noticed people tend to leave their nationmates under the bus so to speak when they could actually reinforce the guy in trouble many times by casually sailing by pretending to not notice or just wiser to not risk their durability for some random who they don't even know.

Well to be fair NA has gone through a lot of different variations of ROE and they have already announced they are developing a new one so it will be changing....just not sure when it will be rolled out.

Well to be fair NA has gone through a lot of different variations of ROE and they have already announced they are developing a new one so it will be changing....just not sure when it will be rolled out.

I Believe it is coming in the next patch, mid May.

You would need to break it down further.  I would venture to guess a good number of those 90% in 1v1 are either on their way to do something else or focusing on PvE and wouldn't engage willingly in a fight no matter what the ROE.

You would need to break it down further.  I would venture to guess a good number of those 90% in 1v1 are either on their way to do something else or focusing on PvE and wouldn't engage willingly in a fight no matter what the ROE.

I'd bet just the opposite. A huge number of people simply do not want to fight in an engagement where they do not have a perceived advantage. I am much more likely to have an enemy turn and fight when they severely outclass me or outnumber me. NA is not unique in this regard and there is no way that it will ever change. In games with absolutely ZERO death penalty outside of just a respawn you get people who run from fights....It simply is in a lot of peoples mental makeup to avoid a fight where they might be at a disadvantage.

I'm ok with that mentality in that I don't feel like you can force anyone to do something they don't want to do in a game. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with a system that encourages and rewards people for being cowardly gankers. Sure, being outnumbered or outgunned is going to happen....I want that to be a risk on the OW in fact. I don't want to see a world though where it becomes the de facto PvP. More time is being spent with ways to manipulate the game mechanics to get a 5v1 then is spent actually fighting. The undeniable fact is that I could list numerous mechanics that not only support but promote ganking compared to those that don't. Virtually every single aspect of the game right now is too far in favor of ganking and there are plenty posting who want even more mechanics to promote it. 

Ganks are part of any PvP game, I do not deny this. But damn I would at least prefer a system where you need to be organized and put some effort into it to achieve it. 

• Like 3

If the PVP Feats regarding Lordship are tailored to simply have a negative impact towards these tactics, meaning a 3v5 has decisive positive Victory Points and a 6v2 rewards negative or next to none, then many might ( keyword: might ) split the hunt groups into elements of twos, like in a flight sim.