Development priorities

Provide your preference on the development priorities  

466 members have voted

1. 1. Development priorities

• Improve sailing further
    • Improve damage model further
    • Simplified boarding combat
    • Ability to transfer to the surrendered ship
    • Open world prototype (testing distances and travel)
    • Simplified progression and ranks
    • Detailed customization
    • Add full line up of ships
    • Crew and simple crew management
    • Officers
    • NPC and Player controlled land batteries
    • Add ability to donate to project or pre-order

I voted Open World, but I'd like to state that I think It'd be a great idea to begin sketching additional ships.

I imagine ships will be a big selling point, like It is for Star Citizen where they toss out a limited edition every few months, make thousands of Dollars, and move on. I'm not saying make limited edition ships, but perhaps look into creating ships from more countries, so as to appeal to a bigger audience.

If the goal is early access on steam I think focusing on the ships, ship mechanics and a basic open world is the way to go. Things like customization, NPC batteries and even crew management can come later.  

Tweaking the combat damage model ([particularly sail damage) adding more variety in the ships and adding in some basic management options seems like a solid plan. 

• Like 5

Maybe some missions. Esp co op based missions allowing us to play and coordinate as a group. Simplified Econ and trade giving us something to do other than constant sailing and combat. Ship customization would be nice. Society or clan options would be great for us to start collecting members and so forth.

• Like 1

What a difficult poll!

I voted open world and career progression. They kind of go hand in hand. I'm really looking forward to the open world much more than match play.

But of course adding ships would be great as well as officer development but if we don't really have a game yet that allows us to gain experience for them than whats the point?

I don't think anyone needs to vote for the money focus. I think the developers will develop that no matter what and exactly when they need to do it.

• Like 1

I chose four. Sorry.

*Improve Sailing....Only because of all the features, this one is closest to completion. We need tweaks for the tacking system and a way to disable the fore-and-aft sails. I also strongly feel that we should have an advanced optional feature for control over individual sails, even if in prototype form with a proof-of-concept UI. I would also love to see some visual features like luffing and clewing up, but that can wait until the future.

*improve damage model....This feature is about half-done, with very nice hull damage, and some progress on rigging damage. Sinking is still the only outcome of battle, and that is a dangerous state to release the game in. Rigging damage needs to be better than POTBS, which it barely is, right now. And crew damage needs to matter. The devs' vision of different paths to victory does not yet exist.

*Prototype of open world.....This prototype can be as janky and crude as you like, just get it out there. It seems to me that only 5% of the English-speaking forum has much interest in a WoT-style game without persistent open world play. The prototype will be your promise of things to come, and draw people into the testing more by offering more unpredictability.

*Add full line of ships......Well, maybe not a full line-up. Just give back the testing ships we had earlier. Your poor new testers haven't seen anything but Victory the pregnant elephant. :)

• Like 6

i am a bit dissappointed that so many people seem focussed on the open world. This would seem to indicate that they just want to adventure with simplistic combat.

if you want only pewpewpew i recomand an other arcade like AoS game. its not allways about firing boardsides at each other.

or that both enemy fleets pop up in the middle of the ocean with same startding conditions over and over again.

The open world prototype is a must have if the game is ever to evolve into a sandbox open world game.

The sooner this topic is beeing worked on the sooner we will be able to test it and help improve.

In affect this means we are beeing able to estimate what new gamemechanics can be implemented.

Maybe we get ideas of later RvR possibility and reasons to do PvP.

IMHO its at least 2nd priority

• Like 3

Hello,

I've voted 5 priorities, it was hard to vote i say : 2 are "optionals" please read bellow

Optional:

-Improve sailing further : i'm not a tester so its kinda hard to judge the state of sailing model, but as far as i can tell from videos and comment from the testers and devs it's pretty well and seems plenty enough to be release in pre alpha. Only them can judge what should be done, but as it is kinda the core of any Age of sail sim, i had to vote it.

-Improve damage model further : Same as above. I totally agree on that Doctor, indeed: "Sinking is still the only outcome of battle, and that is a dangerous state to release the game in."

Priority:

-Open world prototype (testing distances and travel): We can read : Open world Age of sail sim combat (well kinda:). That is the second core of the game and it should be the next step of development, even an "embryo" of it. This is a must have as Maturin and Bungee said.

-Add full line up of ships: Again as Maturin said maybe not full line but maybe more ships bring more joy, testing, depth, happiness, drinking, smoking, party, washing... ^_^

-Add ability to donate to project or pre-order: Money is the core (again) of war. Should i say more ?

Serviteur,

I voted multipe as well.

Damage Model: I would like to see the rest of the damage ideas implemented. However, it's pretty good overall right now and getting better with each update.

Open World: Everyone has touched on this a lot so not much more to add. I would like to see as an immersive environment as possible to explore and have encounters. Not just instanced combat scenarios. I think a huge part of this game will be the graphics and overall beauty of the game.

Add all ships and customization: I'm not sure how many ships are completed now but I always like to see more ships. However, quality of ships > quantity of ships. If there is 5-10 ready then this could possibly wait a while as that may be enough to start with.

I would like to see detailed customization at least some time in the future. The ability make your ship your own will add some depth and help avoid a sea of doppelgangers.

Overall, the sailing is good in my limited experience. I've only tried the Victory (which is great) so i'm excited to try some other ships.

I think a pre-order function would be great since i'd like to support the game somehow...

btw i voted damage model improve; open world ; more ships ; pre order ; and crew ( i think those are the basic contents what is the most important right now)

Sailing, damage, boarding in that order.

A finely simulated and integrated sailing/damage model would be the next gen feature that has never been achieved before, apart from in the crudest terms. Weirdly enough, also having an arcade like mode for easy playability for non grognards would hugely increase sales.

Boarding is essential, as it is such a huge part of the reality that this game attempts to simulate. The level of verissimilitude is the big question, mainly governed by technical/financial constraints on development. I'd vote for a high level, as this could be very salesy.

A full complement of ship types is obviously a DLC opportunity. I'd love to see the key types at launch, particularly 74s and frigates.

Ship's boats, stern boarding, false colours, letters of marque, bring em on when you can!

What !!  i could of voted for more than one

Voted for open world

depending on how many ports/landing points were included  if very detailed 20-30 would work

would like to see simple economy in open beta 

it was mentioned that the English channel would be used in open beta

perhaps from as far north as Bremerhaven

to Brest on the south or even to include the entire Bay of Biscay

-Boarding combat and the ability to put a prize crew on a captured ship

-Damage content looking good needs tuned, more visable sail damage perhaps

-Boarding combat and the ability to put a prize crew on a captured ship

-Full line of ships 10 to start was mentioned perhaps a couple of Merchant for econ testing

-Detailed customization ability to change look of ship add bow/stern chasers paint scheme

naming your boat  

chillly willy

-rank progression; officer/crew management
-npc Player controlled land batteries 
 in that order

• Like 1

I didn't vote for sailing development but I think I should have. At the moment we havn't tested the sailing model for schooners at all and considering how long it has taken to get where we are now I think they need to start working on that pronto.