Game-Labs Forum

I just realized how cool this game would be if it was set in the Star Wars universe

Arvenski

I mean, think about it: instead of the Caribbean, you'd have a section of the Star Wars galaxy. Instead of ports, you'd have planets. Instead of fortresses, you'd have defensive space stations. Instead of sailing ships, you'd have...

Just for the Republic, for example:

1st rate: Imperator/Imperial I-class Star Destroyer (Yes, the Republic did use these towards the end of the Clone Wars, according to Wookieepedia). Uncommon, but uncommonly powerful.

2nd rate: Venator-class Star Destroyer. The workhorse.

3rd rate: Victory/Victory II-class Star Destroyers. The smaller workhorses.  

4th rate: Acclamator/Acclamator II-class assault ships. They might not be the best at fighting bigger capital ships, but they're nothing to sneeze at. 

5th rate: Arquitens-class frigate. Quick, maneuverable, armored.

6th rate: Consular-class cruiser, Pelta-class frigate, CR90 corvette. Light and, well... light

And those are just the Republic ships, and just the ones I wrote down. Of course there are more, depending on how deep you want to get into Wookieepedia. And as for other nations, well, for instance, if you were to use the old Expanded Universe canon, you could have a field day with all the different Imperial ships. 

As for gameplay, well, it'd be similar to what we have no, only you'd be flying your ship in 3-dimensional space. Ships would still take a while to be destroyed, but maneuvering might take place at a faster pace (especially for some of the smaller ships, which can move pretty quickly compared to the bigger ones). You could manage crew and/or power allocation (similar to how it is now with crew management). If your ship has a hanger, you could launch, recover, and give commands to squadrons of AI fighters and bombers: some ships might excel at this more than others, like the Venator, which is a carrier as much as a battleship. You could select targets for your point-defense turrets (they could aim automatically, given that they'd be shooting at fast, small targets like fighters), and aim volleys of turbolaser fire from your primary and secondary guns in hopes of disabling certain areas of an enemy ship. Imagine a 'port battle' set up like that: 20-25 guys on one side in Imperators, Venators, Victories, and Acclamators, and 20-25 guys on the other side in Trade Federation Battleships, Commerce Guild Destroyers, Banking Clan Frigates, and so forth. Laser fire flying everywhere, AI V-19 and ARC-170 fighters dogfighting droids around the capital ships, etc. Anybody else like that idea? :D

giphy.gif

Edited by Arvenski

No Home one would be the Republics 1st rate

Uh, you might want to think about that one a bit... :P

Home One was the Rebel's flagship at Endor, which was ~20 years after the end of the old Republic. While I imagine that Mon Cal cruisers did exist during the time of the Clone Wars, you don't really see them leading (m)any Republic battle fleets...

I love Star Wars. I was 12 when it came out. I went to see it like 15 times in 1977. I love the ships but not a single one has sails.

We do need a good Star Wars game though. There's a few out there but none presently that I want to spend $50 on.

Too... much... Star Wars... :(

Sorry, when all nerd culture, be it video gaming, boardgaming or miniature wargaming is being taken over by the stuff, one gets extremely tired of it. 

Can't we let us Age of Sail fans have our fun without obsessing with some science fiction stuff? :)

• Like 1

Too... much... Star Wars... :(

Sorry, when all nerd culture, be it video gaming, boardgaming or miniature wargaming is being taken over by the stuff, one gets extremely tired of it. 

Can't we let us Age of Sail fans have our fun without obsessing with some science fiction stuff? :)

I hear you, but AFAIK the only recent Star Wars games we have are The Old Republic MMO and Battlefront. Now, I actually enjoy Battlefront (when there are enough players online to be able to get into a decent game), but let's face it: the devs didn't try very hard when it came to the flying. I'd just like to have a Star Wars game that does ships well and takes advantage of today's PC technology (for bigger battles, better graphics, more 'complex' units, etc.): it can be an arcade flight sim like War Thunder's arcade mode, or something a bit more slow-paced and in-depth (like Naval Action), or an RTS, or... whatever. It's just that I waited years for a Star Wars game that wasn't ToR, and while I like Battlefront, I think it would be good if we had more options when it came to Star Wars games. 

I hear you, but AFAIK the only recent Star Wars games we have are The Old Republic MMO and Battlefront. Now, I actually enjoy Battlefront (when there are enough players online to be able to get into a decent game), but let's face it: the devs didn't try very hard when it came to the flying. I'd just like to have a Star Wars game that does ships well and takes advantage of today's PC technology (for bigger battles, better graphics, more 'complex' units, etc.): it can be an arcade flight sim like War Thunder's arcade mode, or something a bit more slow-paced and in-depth (like Naval Action), or an RTS, or... whatever. It's just that I waited years for a Star Wars game that wasn't ToR, and while I like Battlefront, I think it would be good if we had more options when it came to Star Wars games. 

Well, okay, I'm also coming from the miniature wargaming scene where everything which isn't bleeding warhammer (which is arguably worse) is being over taken by X-wing and stuff. :/ 

Anyways, that's my two cents, personally I find the Star Wars ships rather uninspiring, but I'll admit a long time ago I had more fun than I should've with a little think called Star Wars Starfighter. :)

• 4 months later...