Game-Labs Forum

Do we need loot items in NA? (Last call)

I am a "wargamer", and sinking enemy ships and raiding ports

is enough incentive.

But again, all you need is World of Warships.  There you can sink as many ships as you like, and at a much faster rate.  They already have port battles in the works, and should be implemented soon.  So what is to separate World of Warships from Naval Action??  Just the fact that one has sails and the other doesn't??    I already ground my way through Warships. If I'm going to have to do the same here, I'll stick with Warships, or just find another game altogether; as I already said, I'm tired of Warships.  There has to be an incentive to do something, otherwise the game is just pointless; just like Warships has become.

Edited by Baaz
  • Like 1

If have done this all my gaming life. I am finished with collecting and using

Kanai's Cube (Diablo) back in these old day´s I loved it and I loved the "Stone of Jordan" runs.

Doing it over and over again, grind, NO.

Finally, everything gets either monetarized (= converted into Gold) or you need to

implement "magical" wonder-weapons and stuff.

I can understand your sentiments here, and after playing Diablo for quite some time myself, can fully agree with your conclusions.  But, there has to be a balance.  IMO there has to be something more than just looting bales of cotton, or units of ore; as many others have suggested.

I don't necessarily agree with the consumables as some have suggested, but l do wish to see something more than just what is currently in game.  

Edited by Baaz
  • Like 1

I'm tired of Warships.  There has to be an incentive to do something, otherwise the game is just pointless; just like Warships has become.

I played WoW last year, quickly stopped it.

This game can only be filled with "content" either in a PvE or PvP - sense.

Both at the same time will be tough...

I believe, it can only be driven by carefully developing the RvR-conquest.

And, one need to look carefully how many time you spend in the game.

The more you play, the more you get bored in the end.

Gamers fallacy.

Any "grind" desire can only be satisfied with items, magic items, super magic items and so on...

I can understand your sentiments here, and after playing Diablo for quite some time myself, can fully agree with your conclusions.  But, there has to be a balance.  IMO there has to be something more than just looting bales of cotton, or units of ore; as many others have suggested.

I don't necessarily agree with the consumables as some have suggested, but l do wish to see something more than just what is currently in game.  

"Something more"? Agreed. As long you don´t board and loot for magical items.

And I believe the something more must be the search for extraordinarily "profit" on the RvR,

PvP or trading front (always linked to the great effort you put in).

Let it be diamonds, I am fine...

Edited by Wilson09

"Something more"? Agreed. As long you don´t board and loot for magical items.

And I believe the something more must be the search for extraordinarily "profit" on the RvR,

Players have captured player traders completely full of gold. I recall one player catching a trader with something like 20+ notes on board. What "something more" do we need now?

I kind of frown on the idea. I always felt like this was just one more barrier to PvP in POTBS: new player? Grind to 50 and then grind to get the standard "mandatory PvP starter pack" of loot items and then you're ready to play the game!

I know the argument would be "but these are just nice things you don't need" but to a competitive PvP mindset, entering a battle without a 5% sail speed clicky and 5% repair clicky and 5% turn rate clicky is tantamount to suicide (and may actually be.... small loot item bonuses can add up).

I feel like we should be able to generate more interest in the world rather than personal loot.

i.e., I care about winning this fight not for the loot, gold or XP but just because I care about the impact it will have on the game world.

• Like 3

I am just dumping ideas here. Why do you think consumables is a bad idea? They can be tradable and won't require you to grind in order to obtain them. Let PvE crowd work. 

Consumables are a bad idea because they're either irrelevant because their effect is too minor, in which case it's not worth the time to put them in in the first place, or they're good enough to be mandatory for PVP, ie forcing another grind to be competitive.

Remember, in POBS you had to get the following shit to be PVP ready

- bronze round shot

- Expert carpenter & sailmaster

- fine grained gunpowder

- admiral overhauls and other repair kits

- lucy's figurehead quest item

- the revive crew saw quest item

- that stupid drink that also gave morale, but was consumable.

- general outfittings

- permanent outfittings to match durability, as they were destroyed on sinking

What a headache it was to get a ship ready for PVP

As for loot, I'm looking forward to loot improvements. I hope merchant loot will scale in the future with encounter difficulty.

• Like 2

Consumables are a bad idea because they're either irrelevant because their effect is too minor, in which case it's not worth the time to put them in in the first place, or they're good enough to be mandatory for PVP, ie forcing another grind to be competitive.

Remember, in POBS you had to get the following shit to be PVP ready

- bronze round shot

- Expert carpenter & sailmaster

- fine grained gunpowder

- admiral overhauls and other repair kits

- lucy's figurehead quest item

- the revive crew saw quest item

- that stupid drink that also gave morale, but was consumable.

- general outfittings

- permanent outfittings to match durability, as they were destroyed on sinking

What a headache it was to get a ship ready for PVP

As for loot, I'm looking forward to loot improvements. I hope merchant loot will scale in the future with encounter difficulty.

I pvped for 2 years without any extra items, I had over 1000 movs/mots in storage, but later when we had to fight professional groups, every small % made the difference in battle. It was fun, missions were fun and wasn't hard to get all the gear.  

what about just food for sailors

Great idea. Food that affect moral & fatigue. But a ship can carry enough food for weeks or months. Ports need food too.

Loot should be linked to earned wealth in game. The loot has to come from somewhere it must not be a magically created prize. Similar to resources.

Players should keep gold in their hold or in ports. The safest gold is stored in the capital. Gold captured is available to the victor(s). Sunk gold might be available to recovery. If not it remains lost.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

Yes, but it depends..."what purpose"?

What will "food and drinking water" boost???

It doesn´t need to have the effect of a boost, it should just be some sort of supply to keep your crew happy and enable them to work at 100% efficiency.

Seeing they added fish allready to the game, I suspect it is added for that purpose.

• Like 3

Yes, but it depends..."what purpose"?

What will "food and drinking water" boost???

So they do not die after 8 days at sea ? *wink* *wink*

As I see it doesn't need a boost effect ( unlike Rum !!! ), it's survival kit in itself and a planning tool for your sorties.

• Like 3

Hello at all.

It seems, that no one knows the game "Pirates of the Carribean" in german "Fluch der Karibic" from Disney and Akella and the great Build mods from the community.

I read probably one third of the forum and i think there are many problems will be solved if some ppl take a look at that game and his mods.

Its still an single player game, but with a similar setting. I think it was a great game, mainly with the later mods. I read that no one wants a crew to feed and paid in the early development times, but i think it would implement many immersion and options ie. But i think there are some other things its worth to take a look.

• Like 1

One idea for loot that I think everyone would agree to would be ship customizations.  Perhaps a loot drop that turns your sails black or a different color.  Perhaps another loot drop that changes a couple of the flags flying from the masts.  This would not impact game play any but would allow players to personalize their ship.  It could easily become another valued commodity and promote people playing the game and seeking these purely cosmetic mods.

My thought would be additional customization slots based on the quality of the ship similar to the upgrade slots already available. 

It doesn´t need to have the effect of a boost, it should just be some sort of supply to keep your crew happy and enable them to work at 100% efficiency.

Seeing they added fish allready to the game, I suspect it is added for that purpose.

I was thinking as an example the HMS Surprise could store 8 days of provisions and operate at 100% effeciency.

Or he could double the rations provided to crew members and operate at 102% effeciency for 4 days. Triple the rations is 105% effeciency maximum for only 2 days.

A ship with no rations operates at 95% effeciency, this will usually be rare anyways unless you are in a ganking fleet in enemy waters. So this works to a nations defensive advantage.

Different ships have different capacities of storage, small ships with less crew last at sea longer than larger ships with larger crews.

The Le Gros Ventre can carry additional provisions and supply the fleets, a great support ship outside of economic trading

Exploration ships will need minimal crew, minimal guns, and maximum provisions for extended periods of travel.

So many gameplay options here. :lol:

• Like 1

So we spend more time micromanaging the interface and less time shooting our cannons.

Not necessarily.  It can be done without having to micromanage anything.  Does the repair kit system stop you from shooting your guns and require micromanagement?

• Like 3

So we spend more time micromanaging the interface and less time shooting our cannons.

Well picture this:

You stock up on water and food at any port. Cost a little gold (like repair kits). You sail and fight, fight and sail, sail some more, fight fight and fight some more after several weeks (or months) you notice that your crew moral is down and fatigue is up. So you make a quick detour to a port, any port and resupply. The feature could be a placeholder for future exploration considerations.

Most players don't fight for many months continuously ...without putting into port.

Hopefully if we impliment food and water it is done somewhat sensibly and not simply a gamey complication where the crew requires more water every few days of game time (or hours of real time.)

• Like 1

So it's basically just what I said, another trip back to port to play the inventory a bit, and another money sink for playing the game.

I don't see the value in this.

This is just another example of "Sacrifice gameplay for realism"

Edited by Quineloe

So it's basically just what I said, another trip back to port to play the inventory a bit, and another money sink for playing the game.

Oh it can be much more than that, only depends on a fresh lookout to how to implement them.

As an example some of the upgrades can be linked to an added need of supplies, like marines, extra crew, monkeys.

• Like 1

I like to think if it adds to the gameplay then it's more than just a money sink.

Repair kits are a money sink for the battles but there's a lot of features that loot and provisions can provide to the game both in battle, in the open world, in exploration, and for the economy. It would be great to have if the devs were to open up exploration in the pacific.