Game-Labs Forum
admin

AI shooting/Damage/Leaks Feedback - moderated

Does anyone know if the Essex has a similar issue with leaks?  I haven't noticed it before, sailing the Essex, but I've not sailed a Trinc yet.  Thyese two are somewhat close in performance, aside from the bow chasers.

Does anyone know if the Essex has a similar issue with leaks?  I haven't noticed it before, sailing the Essex, but I've not sailed a Trinc yet.  Thyese two are somewhat close in performance, aside from the bow chasers.

I haven't sailed a Trinc but from what I understand, the only issue is that the Trinc heels quite a lot, thereby exposing a lot of hull that is below the waterline on the opposite tack.

If the Trinc player doesn't account for this, and also doesn't depower sails when the opponent is firing a broadside from the weather gage, then they are quite literally opening themselves up to the possibility of getting a bunch of leaks.

This holds for all the ships - here's a Traders Brig getting sunk in just over 1min from two close range broadsides that did 5x leaks each. Note that I held the weather gage with my Privateer, and timed my shots and aimpoint to hit at or below the waterline.

It's funny how everyone thinks the heel on the Trinco is a bad thing. 

I've had a 3rd rate give me 23 Leaks in one broadside (All beneath the waterline). However by using the heel on the Trinco to my advantage i managed to lift all 23 leaks out of the water :P 

Ofcourse i wasn't heeling very much when the 3rd rate fired his broadside (I depowered and neutralised sails). :3

• Like 1

Ofcourse i wasn't heeling very much when the 3rd rate fired his broadside (I depowered and neutralised sails). :3

I'm starting to think that it's even better is to keep the weather gage, stay at range (so your deck can't graped) and stay heeled over, instead of depowering, so that it will be extremely hard to hole the hull. I've found that depowering in that situation can expose more of the hull and result in more opportunity for leaks.

But that's just me.

I'm starting to think that it's even better is to keep the weather gage, stay at range (so your deck can't graped) and stay heeled over, instead of depowering, so that it will be extremely hard to hole the hull. I've found that depowering in that situation can expose more of the hull and result in more opportunity for leaks.

But that's just me.

Yeah it totally depends on whether your upwind or downwind of the target.

I was downwind of the 3rd rate in the situation i described! :D 

• Like 1

Yeah it totally depends on whether your upwind or downwind of the target.

I was downwind of the 3rd rate in the situation i described! :D

Well in that case it could've been 46 holes if you'd stayed heeled :D

• Like 1

The leak system is better all around now, it actually encourages a more historical use of sail in combat. #freethebattlesail

• Like 3

The current leak model is waaay out of wack. 

Yesterday I crafted an exceptional Ingermanland, life oak, planking. To transfer it, I attacked a Trader Snow.

First volley of the snow, 3 18 pdr carronades fired from about 250m distance, put a red leak into the Ingermanland.

This kept 60/470 crew busy....

1) How likely is it a 18 pdr Carronade ball from a distance of 250m penetrates a fully intact 3rd rate made from lifeoak and with golden planking trim ?

2) how do you occupy 60 crew with a single leak ? Maybe a carpenter, 3 of his mates and a few more to run errands and man 1 pump, but 60 ??

Edited by Jan van Santen

Yesterday I crafted an exceptional Ingermanland, life oak, planking. To transfer it, I attacked a Trader Snow.

First volley of the snow, 3 18 pdr carronades fired from about 250m distance, put a red leak into the Ingermanland.

This kept 60/470 crew busy....

1) How likely is it a 18 pdr Carronade ball from a distance of 250m penetrates a fully intact 3rd rate made from lifeoak and with golden planking trim ?

2) how do you occupy 60 crew with a single leak ? Maybe a carpenter, 3 of his mates and a few more to run errands and man 1 pump, but 60 ??

Not sure about the first one, one of the science guys may tell you that penetration was possible at that range, however I agree that one leak should not take near that amount of crew to plug! I could see additional crew to man the pumps but only one leak should not be emitting that much water in a short time.