Game-Labs Forum

Battles crashing video driver

praetorian012

I figured I would start a new, more general thread. Ever since the patch around the beginning of April, just about every battle the game will crash my video driver. I've tried several things now, from lowering the video settings all the way, re-installing drivers and disabling others. I used to be able to run the game very smoothly at the highest graphics settings and still get nearly 60 fps and not overheat anything. 

Before the 4/13 patch it was an annoyance having to either restart the game or my entire computer. I would get back in to the battle after the AI had pounded my ship and I could escape and try again (or just get back to port and log off, hopping the problem would be fixed later). Now with the new changes, I logged back in, with much more deadly AI sitting and blasting the side of my ship until the armor is almost gone. The AI shooting my ship kept resetting the escape timer, and since I was in a constitution vs 2x constitutions, I was lucky to have gotten away far enough to be able to escape. Before I was willing to test things. Now I really don't want to risk loosing this expensive ship.

I have filed a bug report in game, hoping that it can give more hard data. 

I would love to see the new port battles and land, but it is impossible for me to confidently enter a battle. This is game breaking for me. 

As a work around to get to see the land in battle, try attacking just unarmed traders, i appreciate this is not what you want but it does mean if you crash you don't get to lose your ship :) i am suffering from heat related crashes on my comp due to summer temps of 40c-45c at present so to play the game i am having to be very selective about what i attack, or go in with someone who will save you if you crash.

Just a way for u to enjoy the new land views if you want.

Hello captain,

Have you tried updating your video driver? if it is up to date, have you tried using DDU and Reinstalled/rolled back the drivers? What Temperature was the GPU at when it crashes? What are your specifications of the PC?

Captain, please also try to lower a bit GPU and memory clock (Overdrive settings for AMD Radeons and Perfomance Tab for NVidia control panel), since inbuilt overclocking might be also the reason.

Also, in the similar thread Captain LordAlexander mentioned that turning off FXAA fixed his crashing problems

I have tried updating my video drivers, then totally uninstalling my video and audio drivers and installing drivers from a time that the game was running smoothly. Both did not work. The GPU was around 70°C and no more than 80°C every time. 

My hardware is:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX

Processor:  AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

Video card:  Asus STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING Radeon R9 380

RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 8 GB Kit (2x4 GB) 1600MHz DDR3

Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3

Hardware summary: 3.5 GHz 6-core CPU; Radeon R9 380 graphics card with 1.01 GHz core and 4 GB GDDR5 memory; 2x 4Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 2x 8Gb DDR3 1866 DDR3 RAM.

The GPU and memory clock are both stock and haven't been overclocked. I am not sure where to go to turn of FXAA. 

For testing I can use throw-away basic cutters to engage trader ships until I am more confident I can finish a mission. 

I have tried updating my video drivers, then totally uninstalling my video and audio drivers and installing drivers from a time that the game was running smoothly. Both did not work. The GPU was around 70°C and no more than 80°C every time. 

My hardware is:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX

Processor:  AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

Video card:  Asus STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING Radeon R9 380

RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 8 GB Kit (2x4 GB) 1600MHz DDR3

Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3

Hardware summary: 3.5 GHz 6-core CPU; Radeon R9 380 graphics card with 1.01 GHz core and 4 GB GDDR5 memory; 2x 4Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 2x 8Gb DDR3 1866 DDR3 RAM.

The GPU and memory clock are both stock and haven't been overclocked. I am not sure where to go to turn of FXAA. 

For testing I can use throw-away basic cutters to engage trader ships until I am more confident I can finish a mission. 

Hello, If im not mistaken your GPU has a factory overclock, try using overdrive settings to reduce the clocks on it a bit if turning off FXAA doesnt help, which you can find under graphics options in game.

I figured I would start a new, more general thread. Ever since the patch around the beginning of April, just about every battle the game will crash my video driver. I've tried several things now, from lowering the video settings all the way, re-installing drivers and disabling others. I used to be able to run the game very smoothly at the highest graphics settings and still get nearly 60 fps and not overheat anything. 

Before the 4/13 patch it was an annoyance having to either restart the game or my entire computer. I would get back in to the battle after the AI had pounded my ship and I could escape and try again (or just get back to port and log off, hopping the problem would be fixed later). Now with the new changes, I logged back in, with much more deadly AI sitting and blasting the side of my ship until the armor is almost gone. The AI shooting my ship kept resetting the escape timer, and since I was in a constitution vs 2x constitutions, I was lucky to have gotten away far enough to be able to escape. Before I was willing to test things. Now I really don't want to risk loosing this expensive ship.

I have filed a bug report in game, hoping that it can give more hard data. 

I would love to see the new port battles and land, but it is impossible for me to confidently enter a battle. This is game breaking for me. 

Hi, try to use lower graphic setting, however it only lower the chance of crashing.

Unfortunately based on my experience with AMD video card I think is video card itself to have a problem.

I had 3 top AMD video card (all different models) and all of them at some point when stressed had regular driver crash. With the fist 2 video card the Support solution was to substitute them, and it got even worst (infact in both cases I had to buy a new video card). With my 3rd I didn't made the same mistake and I decided to keep it, with regular crashes, but working.

Try to google "amd driver crash" you'll find countless topic, no matter what model.

My final solution will be to change over Nvidia, expensive but reliable.

Edited by Vitasalato

Hi, try to use lower graphic setting, however it only lower the chance of crashing.

Unfortunately based on my experience with AMD video card I think is video card itself to have a problem.

I had 3 top AMD video card (all different models) and all of them at some point when stressed had regular driver crash. With the fist 2 video card the Support solution was to substitute them, and it got even worst (infact in both cases I had to buy a new video card). With my 3rd I didn't made the same mistake and I decided to keep it, with regular crashes, but working.

Try to google "amd driver crash" you'll find countless topic, no matter what model.

My final solution will be to change over Nvidia, expensive but reliable.

Lets not turn this into an AMD vs NVidia thread, If you google the same for NVidia you get the same, in the end both are good. 

• Like 1

It looks like both cards are capable of having the same problem in the game. 

I have done 2 battles so far, 1 trader capture and 1 midshipman mission. The GPU speed is at 95% and the game graphics are set at medium. No problems so far. I will start testing with higher graphics settings and report any problems.

I've had the same issues since the patch at the beginning of the month, on or around April 5th.

uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled latest nvidia driver.

randomly crashes while in port, going into battles/missions, while in battles
fps is usually 70-90fps but will drop to 1-2fps while in OW and in battles/missions.

tried reducing video settings in game, set fps to 15, 30 and 60fps still same issues.

tried disabling nvidia audio as suggested.

have not reinstalled naval action yet.

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case
Antec 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Plextor PX-L890SA DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM (64-bit)
AOC e2752Vh 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Samsung S27C390H 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Logitech G15 Wired Standard Keyboard
Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Plantronics GameCom 780 7.1 Channel Headset

Captain, please also try to lower a bit GPU and memory clock (Perfomance Tab for NVidia control panel), since inbuilt overclocking might be also the reason.

Also, a Captain mentioned in a similar thread that turning off FXAA fixed his crashing problems, did you try it?

game ran fine with evga 570GTX overclocked and also ran fine with my newer evga 970GTX also overclocked PRIOR to that early April patch.

so no have not tried to run a standard clock.

and yes i have tried to turn off FXAA.

i've tried everything in Naval Action game at LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, ULTRA, FXAA ON, OFF, AA OFF, 2x and 4x, and set FPS to 15, 30, and 60 to no avail.

for me it all seems related to something from the patch 2 weeks ago. system ran smooth without any glitches prior to that.

now tonight got an additional problem, out in the open world every 3-5 seconds my FPS drops from ~70fps down to single digits and back up and repeats every 3-5 seconds.

Clanmate is noticing same issue sailing in open world in PVE1 USA server. every 3-5 seconds our fps drops from 40fps for him 70fps for me down to single digits and then repeats.

whats the best way to do a clean install of the game?

delete the entire NAVAL ACTION folder?

tried client.exe and clinet_.exe in windows 7 compatiblity mode

FXAA off and On no difference.

same problems running at STOCK 970GTX clock speeds vs the OC'ed from factory speeds.

Edited by xSpeedFreakx

tried that last night as stated above

'same problems running at STOCK 970GTX clock speeds vs the OC'ed from factory speeds.'

i need to do some more testing but i may have improved my gameplay. i at least got the every 3-5 second FPS drop to go away.

I had copied my entire naval action folder from under steam to a backup location while i was going to try to reinstall it.

i also deleted everything naval action related from my c drive and from the registry. ran ccleaner, rebooted.
at the time i couldnt figure out how to get Steam to reinstall the game so i copied that backed up naval action folder back and then played the game with no more 3-5 second fps drops. I didn't do any other battles i was just running trade routes, so will have to report back further tonight after attempting some battles/missions.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running in to similar problems with my setup which is about a month old. Always the same message: "display driver has stopped working and recovered".  I have tried the following steps: 

- Reinstalled the game (on my SSD)

- Reinstalled videocard drivers, tried 3 older versions, tried 2 beta versions and currently running the latest (non-beta) version.

- Changed the TDR setting in registry (see this topic: https://community.amd.com/thread/180166)This seemed to help a bit, but not 100%

- Ran furmark for 15min. 100% GPU load, temp stayed at 71 degrees Celsius.

Only happens in battle...

Running a Windows 10 installation on:

• Intel Core i5-6400
  • Sapphire Nitro R9 380X 4GD
  • WD Blue WD10EZEX
  • AOC G2460PF
  • Crucial - DDR4 - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 2133 MHz / PC4-17000 - CL15 - 1.2 V
  • Antec VPF Series - Voeding ( intern ) - 80 PLUS Bronze - 450 Watt -
  • Crucial BX100 - Solid state drive - 250 GB - intern - 2.5'' - SATA-600
  • ASUS B150M PRO GAMING - Moederbord - micro ATX - LGA1151 Socket - B150 - USB 3.0 
Edited by Stukkie

been having somthing like this myself as of late laptop only runs the game at 20 fps sence the last patch did use that driver thing for a clean install of the graphics driver as showed in the patch the laptop itself is only a month old settings are pretty much all on low ffx aa are off as of recently (like yesterday) sailing the ow going somewhere and bsod before that got the ever so common it seems amd display adapter has stoped responding and has been recovered sence i did that clean install however so far so good but only time can tell if it actualy does stay working

Had the same problem and i solved it by getting MSI Afterburner and setting my MAX Temps for my GPU to 64'c.

If you do this make sure you prioritize Temp Limit(Little arrow pointing down)

EDIT: I Didn't believe it was overheat because my GPU (GTX 770) is made to hit 80'c but once i lowered the temp of my GPU i have not had any problems.

Edited by Danny Dayne

If you are using laptop consider investing into these cooling solutions. Remember - Heat is your N1 enemy. 

Laptop Cooling Pad

91hUJTczekL._SL1500_.jpg

If you are using PC consider investing into:

35-103-195-06.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=pc+overheating&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv9p36menMAhWJ7D4KHcxtDR0Q_AUICCgC&biw=814&bih=533#tbm=isch&q=cooler+master+cpu+water+cooler