Game-Labs Forum
Lennyo

Teak vs Oak, Planking vs Build Strength

What are your thoughts on these options?

I've left out fir and live oak because I'm mostly focusing on frigates that need a balance of speed and protection. 

From what I understand, Oak provides a 5% increase in hitpoints. However Teak provides extra armor, making it more difficult to penetrate. I don't know if it helps with leaks or not.

Build strength seems to increase hitpoints based on the level of trim. Planking leaks at a lower rate, but I'm not sure if it helps with armor or not.

I've started using Teak on ships that have decent armor to begin with (Belle Poule, Constitution, Essex?) and Oak on ships that are going to get penetrated no matter what (Trincomalee). I instinctively use Planking with a Teak ship, but am not sure if that is the best course of action.

What are you thoughts on this?

Since new leaks are added( if hit under water line) I would focus on something that prevents them. 

Wood types

Fir - faster ship, weaker hull <--- Fast PvP

Teak - Better Damage Rssistance at long range. PvP on Medium ships, Frigates.

Live oak - stronger frame (+ planking), +1 class of armor quality, less speed <--- Port Battles

Oak - stronger frame (+ planking) - no speed effect <---- Port Battles /Heavy PvP

Characteristics

Stiffness - heel; from less reduction to more reduction <--- Port Battles / Fast PvP 

Speed - speed; from low to high <--- Fast PvP

Crew space - crew size; from lower to higher

Planking - structure leaking; from more to less <--- Port Battles / PvP

Build strength - planking amount; from less to more <--- Port Battles /Heavy PvP

Rigging quality - sails up and down speed/ yard turning speed; from less to more

Teak is a solid option. Regarding Planking and Strength it really depends on the ship itself as they all are different in structure.

I am happy with the return to the "default" structure under the waterline and given it is a habit I never lost ( even after the months I let NA to rest ) it is a good thing to diversify the game play.

Was getting a bit "meh" with all the speed freaks builds out there :D

I believe Planking actually increases DR, just like Teak.

People used to say that teak "lessens leaking" until Admin came out and said it actually increases damage resistance (which, incidentally, causes your ship to take less leaks). So I think Planking is the same bonus type as Teak, just like Oak is the same bonus type as Build Strength.

In this case, I personally think you want to double down on your strengths.

Teak = +DR

Planking = +DR

Get both and then fight at longer ranges where DR counts for more.

Oak = +HP

Build Strength = +HP

Get both and then fight at shorter ranges where DR matters less (shots penetrate anyway because they're so close) and raw hit points are what counts.

There is an argument that you should get more hit points and then improve those hit points with more DR (oak + planking or teak + build strength) but I think that's mixing fighting styles. Oak + build strength is a short range brawling style. Teak + planking is a long range sniping style.

Edited by Slamz

Explorer - open world speed; standard OW speed buff

explorer does not exist any more

I believe Planking actually increases DR, just like Teak.

People used to say that teak "lessens leaking" until Admin came out and said it actually increases damage resistance (which, incidentally, causes your ship to take less leaks). So I think Planking is the same bonus type as Teak, just like Oak is the same bonus type as Build Strength.

In this case, I personally think you want to double down on your strengths.

Teak = +DR

Planking = +DR

Get both and then fight at longer ranges where DR counts for more.

Oak = +HP

Build Strength = +HP

Get both and then fight at shorter ranges where DR matters less (shots penetrate anyway because they're so close) and raw hit points are what counts.

There is an argument that you should get more hit points and then improve those hit points with more DR (oak + planking or teak + build strength) but I think that's mixing fighting styles. Oak + build strength is a short range brawling style. Teak + planking is a long range sniping style.

If planking truly does increase Damage Resistance, then I'm switching to Teak/Planking on smaller ships. That increases the effectiveness of angling. For a SOL, I think Oak/build strength is still the better option.

If planking truly does increase Damage Resistance, then I'm switching to Teak/Planking on smaller ships. That increases the effectiveness of angling. For a SOL, I think Oak/build strength is still the better option.

the ship crafting option - planking - improves the quality of the hull planking (not its strength or width).

It means that the planks are connected to each other much more carefully, positions of riders is more balanced, its all tarred and pitched well in between. 

As a result you take less water if you hull is under constant duress 

Example

historically a lot of ships started taking water just after passing through storm, because of the duress incurred by the hull. Ships with better planking did take water but a lot less.

From here. So in short, planking decreases how fast water comes in when you have a leak. 

Calling the bonus teak for instance gives, DR (damage reduction), might be misleading. It's "armor class" really, which gives a certain chance to penetrate compared to the gun-class that's hitting it. So it will reduce damage over time through less penetrations, but a class 7 gun that penetrates will to the same damage regardless of what wood type. That's what I've seen so far in a few battles against NPC's that I've combed through the shot-logger.

And teak on small ships makes more sense than regular oak. A few extra percentage points of HP on a snow for instance only counts for a couple extra hits. 

Edited by Yar987

Teak/planking/stiffness on certain ships will rise from one of the worst to optimal build.

Edited by Kazak77

As a Danish player and crafter i have good access to Teak and I have been using teak + Planking for our PvP ships almost exclusively with some exceptions for certain roles. (heavy nade ships or fleet orcas)  

All high rate ships should be live oak and built/planking i feel.

TLDR.

what he said. (Slamz)

I had a nice battle with my teak Trinco (crew space) with another Trinco, which was live oak build. When we were exchanging shot on medium distance (300-500m) my ship was taking really small amount damage compared to the other Trinco. He had more HP but after few broadsides, the advantage was negated. On close range later in the battle I was receiving same amount of damage as he did, but when I was angled, I was able to bounce 24lbs shots from the Constitution.

Now with the new leaking mechanics, the teak+planking should be awesome for frigates, where you need compromise between speed and survability.

• Like 1

Correct.

Given most players like ( for unknown reasons ) to fight at distance no wonder teak and planking is a good combo for some ships.

I never build Live Oak ships, unless they are 1st/2nd rates which are used primarily for port battles only. Live Oak having a diminishing effect on speed absolutely kills them as a viable PvP wood type in any fight that involves a chase. Basically all of them except for the one where you have no hope.

Fir has its uses for fast frigates, definitely good.

Teak seems to be fairly ineffective to me for reasons that Slamz pointed out. Sniper battles are generally done with ships that want to create gaps or SoL battles, both of which would use Fir or Live Oak.

Oak is an all around good type for me. +Health/Planking and no penalty to speed is perfect for nearly every situation, even for 3rds which can sometimes be used as chasers in massive OW PvP battles with 3rds to 1sts.

• Like 1