Game-Labs Forum

Sail Damage XP

I've had a'bit of a search around and haven't found many topics about sail damage giving more XP, after all PvP does have a'lot of sail targeting and hitting involved but we don't get any real XP for taking down a mast or anything, so i was wondering if there going to be better XP for sail damage down the track, just did a PvP battle and took down 2 masts on a Trincomalee then boarded and at the end of battle was $7000 and 200xp, its basically a waste of time doing PvP if thats the return u get on it, would like to know more opinions towards the sail damage views, please let me know.

-Poll removed by staff for being non-productive to discussion.

• Like 2

Voted no. 

Feel like sail damage in itself is a means to an end that results in a ship being disabled.

Being disabled can lead to more then one outcome:

You can capture the aforementioned ship straight away. Resulting in little XP & Gold, but the chance to get a pretty decent 1 dura boat.

For instance....

Of course you also have the option of disable then sink. No ship but better XP & Gold overall...

The point being, the choice is yours after you de-mast...

So personally I like that you don't get much XP for the disable.

• Like 1

I voted yes. It happened many times I was in battle with clan mates and other people... all of them in bigger ships then mine. So I focused mainly in crippling the enemy vessels with chain shots.

I think would be a good idea to raise the XP for such menial (but important) job.

It will also give some extra points for all the new players who find themselves in a battle with a Cutter. It will give a new role to the fast, cheap ship used by beginners.

• Like 1

Interesting wasn't the response that i thought it might get, but slugging at hull takes no skill either so its not really much different in my opinion, to actually take down a mast single shooting to get a quicker take down takes more skill then 1 range shot to hull and then unload full broadside, but others feel different as the replies say, you take down a mast that technically is a big thing as the ship is serverly disabled and damaged, personally the damage for XP systems is completely wrong to begin with as it doesn't promote the best way of grinding as people exploit it, the whole grind in general everyone hates and tries to find easier ways to make it quicker, u want to promote PvP but if PvPers want to demast and capture they don't get the best returns so why would they waste everyone's time, game is already a big time waster, lets get more action and XP promoting more fighting rather then everyone hiding and grinding quicker ways to level up, i mean most people don't want to fight till they are rich and leveled enough to feel they have a chance, while slow it more?

I understand what your saying... The Grind Is Real  :)

But this is something that will just get better & better over time with more PvE content.

PvP, IMO always has to be looked at from the top down. That is to say fully lvl players in exceptional, multi-dura ships with exceptional outfittings. 

In short End Game Content...

Being maxed lvl I don't mind in the least I don't get much XP for sail damage as Its no longer needed. 

I'm not looking for best return, im looking for juiciest target. With the littlest risk involved. 

That St Pavel I capped yesterday was sold to some random at La Tortue for 500k gold. The battle only took 30-45 min... 

That is a pretty good return to me.

Being maxed lvl I don't mind in the least I don't get much XP for sail damage as Its no longer needed. 

This is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Extra bit of XP will be useful for new players... it works if they are capping traders or if they are involved in Small Battles or if they participate in a larger OW battle.

Edited by Antonio_Pigafetta

As far as being maxed level goes, I was under the impression more ranks are to be added, and when it happens players may drop in rank.

As far a more xp from sail damage, maybe if you get sails down to 30%, make the player work for it.

I also think players should get an xp bonus for module damage( mast, rudder, etc)

I would like to see the 'mast' reward act as a multiplier. For each mast kill add a 1x reward. For example 1 kill is 1x, if another mast is broken by the same player its 2x. So for every mast take down you get +1x reward. Its something to better help trade ship exp gain when capping and offers an incentive to use balls over chains, which is the most broken thing in the game atm.

I just don't see how one could aim balls and chains. It just looks wrong that you are able to even attempt aiming balls and a chain linked together which would turn all kinds of ways in the air. 

So is punching holes in the hull, technically anything you do that leads to victory is a means to an end.

Direct vs indirect.

Shooting holes in the hull is the direct cause of sinking. Boarding is the direct cause of boarding win. Any damage to sails, crew or modules is unnecessary and is only indirect cause - as it only makes the direct one more reliable.

Direct vs indirect.

Shooting holes in the hull is the direct cause of sinking. Boarding is the direct cause of boarding win. Any damage to sails, crew or modules is unnecessary and is only indirect cause - as it only makes the direct one more reliable.

Killing crew is necessary to a boarding win.

Increase of sail damage would result in a benefit for ganking - counter-productive to the direction the developers want to go.  It is only a self-serving benefit for gankers - not for others.  Sail damage rewards are sufficient now and should not be adjusted for the benefit of ones that could sit afar in battle and level by an easy exploit.  I don't see this happening.

Flame on!