Game-Labs Forum

Nah.

The PvP is engaging player under any circumstances. It can be gank, it can be capturing playrers traders, it can be port battles, it can be equal fights.

The bull... about fair and real PvP is really nonsense. 

The true PvPer is going to take any opportunity to fight an enemy that he can possibly defeat and gives no **** when being ganked. In sandbox your actions bring reactions and so you have to take risks from time to time. Every PvP action comes along with the risk. For example chasing traders is safe, but sooner or later you will be running away from enemy fleet that is chasing you. Your success is based on the situational awareness in the OW and knowledge of the game mechanics. We can call this skill.

Who cares if there is honor behind preying on smaller ships or smaller groups. The OW gives us mechanics that can be used to our advantages and the biggest advantage brings cooperation between players. The true and good PVPer knows how to gets his fights, how to fight his fights and how to survive. He has to know own capabilities and behave according to them. Am I coward when I sail 40 minutes trough the enemy territory, engage a trader/missionrunner in my Surprise and then run away from 2 Trincos chasing me? I do not think so. I have just won an OW battle. The enemies will return it to me another day.  

Real PVP is about getting fights whenever you can, no matter what you are engaging. If there is a chance to win that, I will go for it.  

• Like 6

I can not figure out how we all play the same game but some of us find everything impossible or difficult to do or unfair and others of us have non of these problems.

I have my theory but does anyone else ?

Pixel ships are serious business.

Edited by Porpoise
  • Like 3

I can not figure out how we all play the same game but some of us find everything impossible or difficult to do or unfair and others of us have non of these problems.

I have my theory but does anyone else ?

Some people like to be whiny victims and/or pretend that they have some form of higher ethical stance in a computer game.

The other day the teleport bug took me from Port Morant and dumped me outside La Habana in my Trinc. A Spanish 3rd then ran away from me, I got chased by a basic cutter which I ignored, tried to engage a frigate which managed to make port, attacked a brig which surrendered and then got murdered by an Essex, 3 Trincs, Frig, Cerb, and two 3rds. None of these were 'fair' or evenly balanced encounters but it was all good fun as far as I was concerned. Not, however, as far as the Brig Captain was concerned when he called me a 'mother f****r' for attacking a smaller ship.. oddly he had no qualms about calling in a small fleet to kill me afterwards.

Anybody getting uptight about uneven fights or ganks needs to pull their head out of their backside or go and play on the pve server quite frankly.

For me there are basically two scenarios (both are my opinion)

Open World PvP is any Player on Player encounter, port battles, open sea fleets, your goal is to win, thus engineering an unfair advantage is valid. Its not fun getting ganked (I got smashed 10 to 1 the other day...but I got caught open world....its how it was....dont get caught when out gunned run....).

Then the new idea the dev's have put up is duels. For the sim purist it is of course nonsense. Ships dueling...but then again its a game, a duel should allow 2 equally ranked players to test/learn/have fun with their skills, chuck a league table in there, its a mini game, I often have 30-40 mins, now I can't do a 'NA Session' in that time, but jumping on for a challenging one on one battle to improve my shonky PvP skills would be great fun. Its not OW, it has no effect on OW, for all intense and purposes of your an open world purist, just ignore it all.

I look forward to perhaps 2 on 2, 3 on 3 and even tournies...all as a distraction, alternative from OW.

Then in Open World, the gloves are off, the risk is on...and perhaps with skills learned dueling I may fare better in a fair fight :)

I think we've all read too many literary yarns of the rare nautical "ship duels" between nearly equal frigate captains. For every Shannon/Chesapeake gentlemanly challenge, there were scores of what we here would consider "ganks". You can bet that captains back in the day would bring as much overwhelming force as they could. Hell, even our beloved hero risks his HMS Ariel in order to slow down a French 74 for the pursuing HMS Jason. I, for one, tend to prefer small task forces of 3-4 ships with varying characteristics. However, if I want evenly matched PvP every now and then, I can pop into the small missions section. And perhaps the upcoming duel arena will have some allure for some.

If you hate the thought of being ganked or having an unfair fight, or want the ability to escape from any fight for whatever reason, you don't have to go to the PVE server, or make threads whining about broken game mechanics or bad PVP or whatever.

Just sail a Privateer.

You will get to choose all your fights, move quickly through the OW regardless of wind direction, and be able to take advantage of any opportunities that arise while doing so.

I have tons of fun in mine and, for a solo player, I think they are just about the perfect ship.

• Like 2

I just had an exceptional one(privateer) crafted for me and I agree. I have tons more fun fighting in that than anything except maybe my Connie when the crap hits the fan. 3rds and up are just gun wagons.

Edited by Vernon Merrill

If you hate the thought of being ganked or having an unfair fight, or want the ability to escape from any fight for whatever reason, you don't have to go to the PVE server, or make threads whining about broken game mechanics or bad PVP or whatever.

Just sail a Privateer.

You will get to choose all your fights, move quickly through the OW regardless of wind direction, and be able to take advantage of any opportunities that arise while doing so.

I have tons of fun in mine and, for a solo player, I think they are just about the perfect ship.

Avoiding ganks really isn't the problem. The problem is the game comes down to that being the major gameplay for hours and hours. You end up spending so much time looking for fights that can go either way you end up not fighting at all. 

• Like 1

PvP is not, imo:

1.  Ganks  (I do not consider 2v1 a gank unless it's grossly outmatched ships, then it may be defined as seal clubbing (see 2)

2.  Seal clubbing

3.   RVR - as RVR  typically relates to #1 in my experiences  - also, consider a player that avoids the intense portion of a port battle and joins in only when they are assured of victory - do you consider this individual a pvp'r?

Ultimate PVP experience is:

1. 1 v 1

2. small, organized group - say 6 v 6

3. Closely matched ships and skill sets

PVP is player vs. player so all of the above items are pvp whether you like them or not.

Naval Action in the open sea's is an RvR game so having battles that are closely matched is irrelevant. In-fact the key to a good RvR game is the ability to have multiple types of battles including lopsided ones. Equally matched battles should only occur during key events in an RvR model. Overwhelming force is very important for RvR.

Naval Action also provides battle instances for those like yourself who really want that closely matched fight. You can join a small battle in any kind of ship and it will match you accordingly if that is what you are looking for.

Naval Action provides all kinds of different PVP as long as you are looking in the right place.

So basically,

Instances for those people looking for "fair" fights

Open Sea's (including port battles) for those looking for RvR.

• Like 2

Just sail a Privateer.

The trouble is that most of the people unhappy want to cater to them and the just me just me crowd. They dont want to alter the normal. I can only compare it to if i wanted to play wot but wanted the game to cater to my slower grand strategy play style rather than a moba.

PvP:

Any combat where at least some participants on both sides are players. (I like to use the term "PvEvP" when there are NPCs in the mix.)

Economic PvP:

Players fighting players economically, like buying out all your coal and reselling it for twice as much, or undercutting your iron sell order by 5% so that everyone buys from me instead of you. Sinking your Trader Snow using a Trincomalee can be considered "Economic PvP".

Strategic PvP:

Sacking your ports. Preventing you from defending your ports. Sinking your ships in general to discourage you away from a particular area or just to cost you some ships you might have used against us later or to cost you some money for sake of map strategy. Tackling your 3rd rate and then running away to keep you out of a port battle is "strategic PvP".

Tactical PvP:

Trying to jump you in such a way that you cannot win (whether because you can't escape or because you can't catch us). Open sea maneuvering and trickery is what I'd call "tactical PvP". We aren't shooting yet but it's still players versus players.

These are all beautiful, glorious facets of PvP.

Saying that dueling is the only PvP is like saying that the only food is chocolate cake. Nothing wrong with chocolate cake. Could go for a slice right now, in fact. But in the world of food, it's just a very small part of what's out there and I don't want to eat only that.

• Like 1

I think part of the problem is some people think "PvP" implies an ability to win.

Sometimes you can't win. It's still PvP. You just have to decide how it is you want to go down.

Personally I always have 2 goals:

#1: Win.

#2: If #1 is impossible, then give them as hard of a time as I can.

#2 is a whole game in itself. Sail straight, max sails, make them chase you for half an hour? When do you hit sail repair? Or do you turn and fight, and go right for their armor and start trying to make some of them fall back? You'll get more XP this way and maybe you can even damage their fast ships so badly that they have to pull out of range and then maybe you can try running again. Or turn and blast their sails and try to escape that way. Or turn and fight them and then, when everyone is all turned around and willy-nilly and half dead, pop your sail repair and make a run for it.

Sometimes I've even won what should have been a gank because they spent too much time going for sails and trying to grape my crew while I blasted all their armor off.

I actually think dueling is some of the dullest PvP. So much drama and intrigue gets left out.

• Like 3

I think part of the problem is some people think "PvP" implies an ability to win.

Sometimes you can't win. It's still PvP. You just have to decide how it is you want to go down.

Personally I always have 2 goals:

#1: Win.

#2: If #1 is impossible, then give them as hard of a time as I can.

#2 is a whole game in itself. Sail straight, max sails, make them chase you for half an hour? When do you hit sail repair? Or do you turn and fight, and go right for their armor and start trying to make some of them fall back? You'll get more XP this way and maybe you can even damage their fast ships so badly that they have to pull out of range and then maybe you can try running again. Or turn and blast their sails and try to escape that way. Or turn and fight them and then, when everyone is all turned around and willy-nilly and half dead, pop your sail repair and make a run for it.

Sometimes I've even won what should have been a gank because they spent too much time going for sails and trying to grape my crew while I blasted all their armor off.

I actually think dueling is some of the dullest PvP. So much drama and intrigue gets left out.

It's more a matter of degrees.

Using a simple example of ships of equal strengths.

1v1 can go either way easily.

2v1 the out numbered can potentially sink one and heavily damage the other before succumbing.

3v1 the out numbered can at best damage one. 

4v1 the out numbered will just be sunk in short order.

I'm not really of the duelist crowd. I think 1v1 would actually get quite boring after a while. And I actually think right now it's too easy to escape from a fight. Thus forcing players to get into large squadrons or even more usual bait at free ports and port jump to get any fight to happen at all.

Currently a ship that is upwind of another and is a better or equal down wind sailor has to surrender the wind by pointing his bow at the enemy to keep him from magically vanishing after two minutes of not being hit. Thus forcing a pure pursuit and not a lead or lag pursuit that would close the range and allow the upwind ship to 'come down' on the down wind ship at their choosing. 

4v1 the out numbered will just be sunk in short order.

Them's the breaks. It's still PvP. Sometimes I see how long I can string them along for. Even 10v1 can take a very long time if they didn't get a great tag on you.

I've also turned and charged in a 10v1. Didn't last long but it was entertaining enough just slaloming through their ships watching them ram each other in the mess. Sometimes the real challenge of any game is to find some form of personal goal or entertainment in an unwinnable mess. (If they're deep in enemy territory, then charging along and dropping all their sails by 5% with volleys of chain so that they have to waste a repair kit before their next battle is a reasonable "personal victory" goal.)

I seriously think it helps that I grew up in the era of arcade games where, in most cases, you simply could not win. I see winning as a luxury. I see the possibility of winning as a luxury.

I have never cared about fights being fair, in this or any game.

You guys certainly have some interesting takes on PvP.  Personally, the only enjoyment I get out of ganks is when I am able to torment opponents by griefing them until the timer runs out.  I enjoy even fights - hate me if you will - IDGAF - I choose skill over numbers any day. Ganking is boring - Yawn!  It takes no skill and is not rewarded in this game - 10 v 1 wha do you get as a reward? 100g and 25 xp? If that!  Funny thing is when people gank and say, "Hey, look at me - I just sank you!"  Then when ask if they want to 1 v 1 they respond with - "Heck no!" - these players know they need unbeatable odds to compensate for their lack of skill - that's just the truth!  I think it is funny that many here try to justify ganking and then turn around and condemn another player for enjoying 1 v 1 - now, thats funny!  Then others say if you don't like ganking GTFO and go play somewhere else - that is just a stupid remark.  All servers need to be filled - not diluted or bare (get dictionary and look up big words if you are a ganker). Many may hate, and it is obvious that forum ganking is prevalent as well, but IDC either way.  If you wish to PvP - hit me up in game - same name as on forums.

One last thing - sailing no to little risk ships gets boring as well - ok, start hating - go, go, go!

• Like 2

I feel the same way about PvP. I really don't understand how people find 10v1 entertaing. Hell, being the ganker is so boring that once I did it, and I couldn't belive some players find it fun. Sailing in gank squads of renos and trincs. Truth is, the players who like to use their brain to win a fight would have quit NA long ago if every fight they were on the ganking side. We like this thing called fun, when you need strategy, good tactics and skill to win.

It's not about being able to avoid ganks, that is EASY. Finding entertaining PvP is a chore and shouldn't be. You can sail for hours looking for good PvP. PvP where enemy dosen't run or you or enemy being a ganker.

I got so sick of being on the ganking side that I always leave, it's unfun and a waste of my time. You know exactly the outcome before the start battle timer goes down. BORING..

When I get ganked instead of defensive tagging or running I fight now. Because you get tired of runnng from ganks and you know you probably won't find a better PvP in the time you have left to play.

A lot of players need a force on their side that is impossible for the enemy to defeat, I bet if they tried PvP that isn't 3x enemy BR they would have a hell of a lot more fun than brainless trinc and reno squad ganks..

Edited by Acadian44
  • Like 1

We dont need a duel areal or leder boards in NA. If you have a need to have place to show of how great a player you are. Go play wow or other games like that. NA is about sailing, sailing your choosen ship across the OW in search of fights, trade or what ever you like to do, and not being magic alt teleportet from a port to duel arena.

We dont need a duel areal or leder boards in NA. If you have a need to have place to show of how great a player you are. Go play wow or other games like that. NA is about sailing, sailing your choosen ship across the OW in search of fights, trade or what ever you like to do, and not being magic alt teleportet from a port to duel arena.

We dont need a OW or roaming PvP in NA. If you have a need to have place to gank of how great a player you are. Go play wow or other games like that. NA is about action, sailing your choosen ship in battle in search of glory, money or what ever you like to do, and not being insta ganked from a port to smiterines.

Sorry, I cannot stand elitists ^^'

• Like 3

Ganking is boring - Yawn!  It takes no skill

Avoiding ganks takes skill and therefore landing good ganks can take skill as well. There is some skill (and risk) in choosing your ship and your fittings when thinking about conducting or avoiding ganks. I would bet that 3 out of 4 ganks over the entire game actually fail because the target got away, through skill.

Some people lack this skill and think it's the game's fault.

What I think is boring is everyone sailing out in live oak, tank-fit slowboats without a thought about the risk of this, and then expecting the game to make sure they only get "fair fights".

• Like 3