Game-Labs Forum

What video games have you played recently and what are your thoughts on them?

LTao

This section of the forum needs some life.

Recently, I've been playing World of Tanks. It's a rather unique game in most ways and is tremendously fun when you want to see treaded things explode violently. I've discovered that the KV-2 tank of the Russians is something like a house which fires explosive death.

I discovered this because I was the one exploding.

Now that I have my own KV-2, I plan on turning the tables.

I've also played Bioshock Infinite and Company of Heroes 2 recently. Bioshock Infinite was a magnificent piece of storytelling and writing that I urge everyone to try, even just for the story. Don't spoil anything and experience its world. I found Bioshock Infinite's combat to be okay-ish enough, but not as impressive as I'd expected.

Company of Heroes 2 is the sequel to one of my favourite real time strategy games. It's still Company of Heroes. The violence, grit and unpredictability is still there. I play Company of Heroes 2, and then complain about the balance of tanks in Company of Heroes 2 because I know from my extensive World of Tanks and armchair general experience that the T-34 is no match for a Panzer IV.

I've been playing all the Total War series since Rome. When an opus comes out I put lots of food on the fridge, kick women and play campaigns with all factions in chinese farmer mode. The game has some flaws especially the lack of diplomatical options, but it's still very addictive. Rome II in september is the next one.

I've been participating to the World of Warplanes beta, but I need something more than battle after battle over and over again. And tanks aren't my world.

PlanetSide 2 lacks endgame, but the battles were terrific. Crossing a plain in a troops carrier to attack a facility, with dozens of tanks on the hills, the sky full of lazers and balls and plasma, planes overtaking us towards the furnace, was for sure the best big-scale battle scene I've been experiencing. The tactical gameplay and character progression also offer a wide range of interesting options. I'll try it again when we'll be something more than headless armored chickens fighting for nothing.

For my part it has been Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, Warframe, and POTBS. For MMOs, that is.

GW2 does so many things well. I'm just waiting for the dungeon finder to make it complete. A gorgeous game in many respects.

I agree the Planetside 2 lacks an endgame. Once you've got all your certifications, what can you do? Mind you, that does take a while. In the meantime I really enjoy playing my Infiltrator. Got up on a ridge undetected the other day with 3 enemy snipers. I knifed one, hip-shotted the second, and gunned down the third. It was lovely. And then I fell prey to a similar knifing about five minutes later haha. :) But it was fun.

Warframe is a grand diversion. Full PVE, so there aren't really any balancing issues, and they can give your characters some crazy abilities. It's a lot of fun, if grind-ish. But that's okay so long as you love killing hordes and hordes of bad guys. Nothing quite like the Eris defense missions against infested. Go to 20 waves. You can barely see. :)

POTBS is as POTBS does. I'm Antigua/France right now, just watching them thump Britain again and again. Alas, the poor game is still dying. I do hope the new development team can turn things around.

In single player games it's XCOM and Skyrim right now. And Skyrim has only held my interest thanks to the modding community. Not only can I make it look the way I want (thank you ENB's and the usual armor mods), but there are some enemy AI mods which are fantastic. Rogues that sneak, mages that don't try to knife you, and dragons that can actually kill you, if you're not careful. It's very good with mods.

And, as for XCOM, still one of the best tactical squad games out there. A beautiful descendant of the original. Fantastic work all around.

Recently I have been playing Rock Star GTA 4 and LA Noire. I want to complete both games at some point. I play Rise of Flight regularly too. I have all the DLC for Skyrim (The Never Ending Story lol) so I still play it from time to time. I'm sort of in a in a waiting phase for releases.  

Rome 2 is on of the big ones I have been waiting for. I'm excited to see Mount and Blade Banner Lord also and GTA 5. 

WOL, POTBS and Naval Action I'm following. To me it seems Naval Action has the most going for it. WOL the information seems to be really limited about what they are working on. POTBS took a dive with bad patch's but there is new owners, that appear to be trying breath new life into the game. Only time will tell. 

I considering playing elder scrolls online when it comes out...depends on the reviews.

Where to begin.  

BattleGround Europe (formerly World War II Online ) since 2001, same squad about 9 yrs.   Good game that, IMHO, has strayed from it's original intent.   Biggest battle map you could only imagine, you can get in a vehicle and drive from Germany to Brest and then cross the Channel on a ship.  It is a difficult game to get used to......best to get help early on.

All the Total War series modded to DarthMod, except I recently installed NTW3/3.1 from the Lordz Modding Collective to NTW.   And preordered RTW2 as soon as ordering became available.    I did this with all the TW series.    The campaign maps have undergone significant changes for the better, but not as much as the improvement in the number of troop types and the quality of the graphics for the maps and uniforms.   Play is improved also.

Mount and Blade Warband, modded, of course.   And a 1.143 version modded.    Mount and Blade modded to Europe 1805.   Not much to scream about as far as the Campaign map is concerned, but the battle map can get quite interesting.    The folks put a lot of work into designing and creating armor, weapons, banners.........all very impressive.

STOL,  LOTRO, RailRoad Tycoon 3, aaaaahhhhhh enough.........Steam gives too good a deal to pass up at times.

Really looking forward to Ultimate General Gettysburg..........Yes I have Sid's Gettysburg.

zimm out

Not much lately. Mayby because i'm not as young as others anymore.

Since AOS2 i just played PotbS, ETW and NTW for a longer period of time.

So my focus is clearly on MP Age of Sail games.

In PotbS i started during the beta and formed with some others the Chevaliers des

Mers Clan. Lost intrest, as i hadn't the time and energy to run for hours though landmissions and taxi goods around.

I had high hopes for sea-battles in ETW. I even started to mod the game (mayby some saw my work, since imo all mods, that change shipcolors still base on my Sealords-mod and Sealords-minimod). In the end i was disappointed, that too mich was hardcoded, to really improve the seabattles. NTW didn't really made a change here.

Since that nothing really interested me enough to drag me away from RL.

I'm now playing Mount and blande full invasion that i enjoy a bit but that may be boring after hours.

I play WOT since years and i stopped time to time to recorver interest in. I tested world of warplane and war thunder that are not some bad but nos as enjoyable as wot.

And ofc i played potbs that i really loved before it sunked...

wwiionline - many years since 2001, but it was patched to dead

lotro - also some years - but lost fun

eve  - sometimes

wot - still playin, but just more fun, only a few matches a week

potbs - loved it over years, did much trade, PvE and liked RvR. It is really sad to see this game dying.

tested unchartered waters online - it sounds good, but too much of this asian style everywhere and not historicaly. horrible. :)

many other games, and still searching a new game like potbs was. May Haval Action will come soon and stop my searching. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

war thunder which in its current state features only aircraft but will also have tanks and ships, game is great has three modes of playing, arcade, historical ( more realistic ) and full real ( camera locked in cocpit no hud etc..)  

War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s6YO6wdcVE

Pirates of the Burning Sea, running the show at British Mercantile and Mercenary as McCullogh.

World of Tanks, you can find me as DangerMonkey primarily driving his Tank Destroyers (Hellcat and Jackson) as I try to find a good hiding spot to be a sniper.  I also have been working up the heavy German line, because who doesn't want to drive a Tiger!  I also have a couple of Russian heavies because their incredible armor works very nicely with my limited skill set.

World Of Warplanes, you can generally find me as DangerMonkey flying into the ground or opposing players as I try to figure out how to fly theses very cool planes.

WarThunder.  Rapidly bypassing World of Warplanes as the winner in WWII simulated battle for the skies!

Elderscrolls on line, I have had a little action in beta, looking forward to more.

Pirates of the Burning Sea: It's still possible to have fun in RvR and PvP. Still Fun for me.

War Thunder: Great Fun! But arcarde and historical battles getting boring after a while.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Old Game ! It was realesed in 2004. But for me its still fun to build and test your Parks/Coasters.

Bioshock Infinite: Absolutely awsome game! Love it. the Story is awsome and in the playtime (6-10 hours) it's not getting boring. Would Love to see such stories in other games too.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone play War of the Roses?

i like WOTR alot...

Mount and Blades Warband?

i like the Persistant world and Napoleon wars mod

i like RPG and Medieval themed game :D

I've played Mount and Blade and Mount and Blade: Warband to death, especially with mods. They're games that have a lot of flaws, but the flaws are overshadowed by good gameplay. I've never touched War of the Roses - I wound up with Chivalry: Medieval Warfare because War of the Roses leaned toward realism, but Chivalry is more about comical violence and I like comical violence.

Play Ntw3 mod. New version 3.2 is outstanding! Play a little bit of War Thunder and also BF2 Project Reality mod (which is a great mod btw). Anxiously awaiting Naval Action, Ultimate General, Festung Europa (from the makers of Darkest Hour mod) and now Project Reality 2 (which was just announced yesterday as a standalone project).

• 2 weeks later...

I dove into Rome 2, and was bitterly disappointed. Played every game of that franchise, every single one, and this was just like being slowly strangled.

Also did some EU4. More impressed with that one, even though certain features have been dumbed down in that franchise as well, "streamlining" seem to be the way to go in making games today.

Have done my fair share of WoT and War Thunder as well (flying ponies ftw!), and also alot of Pirates of the Burning sea. I just loved the complexity of the PvP with groups in that game. Actually reconsidering that one for the time being.

Other stops have included SWTOR and BSGO, but otherwise I'm that kind of weird guy that plays games from Matrix Games.

I dove into Rome 2, and was bitterly disappointed. Played every game of that franchise, every single one, and this was just like being slowly strangled.

Also did some EU4. More impressed with that one, even though certain features have been dumbed down in that franchise as well, "streamlining" seem to be the way to go in making games today.

Have done my fair share of WoT and War Thunder as well (flying ponies ftw!), and also alot of Pirates of the Burning sea. I just loved the complexity of the PvP with groups in that game. Actually reconsidering that one for the time being.

Other stops have included SWTOR and BSGO, but otherwise I'm that kind of weird guy that plays games from Matrix Games.

I just started playing Rome 2 a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed the game so far. The battles once you gain technology are pretty cool. I like the way you can zoom to a kind of close up over head of the troops and manual control over individual artillery units. I also liked the diplomatic view and strategic view both battle and campaign map. I really like the combined navy/army attacks one can do. The city's in the battle were really well done.

There were also some things I did not like about it. At first glance it seems to have way more features then before, but the reality is there isn't really other then new views. Other then pretty new campaign map, seemed like something was missing. I want to be able to micromanage settlements and have allot control what the direction of the faction every aspect if I  want. Mideval 2 had more control settlements, but after that one the devs saw it as being a burden on players and watered it down. I think they should have done the different. They should and the micro management to it, with option of auto-manage. 

Sounds corny.....but were's the campaign map animations and videos......I want to see my spy at work...like a little video of him or her knocking someone off...Just gereral campaign mile stone videos.I also want see my settlement in 3d....what they look like without being in battle....I know wishful thinking lol

So I'm not completely happy with Rome 2 mainly on the campaign map side of things, but I still think its a good game. They said they are going to patch Rome 2 and add DLC more then ever before and from what I read its going to be allot. So that is pretty cool news. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first Rome II session. Played Arverni, Carthage, Pontus and Rome campaigns. The game was very bad (bugged AI) at launch but got better patch after patch.

The UI isn't as good as it should and the game lacks features from previous opuses. But some new features are good (army tree, province system, diplomatical options) and the game is more historically accurate. It still lacks a bit of immersion (like CJFlint said videos were awsome, and also family trees were fun).

The biggest flaw is the lack of challenge. I had to choose a family giving negative diplomatical reputation, and conquer remote territories from the beginning to eventually face some difficulties. In previous opuses, just playing in legendary promised great challenge, and required a good knowledge of the game and hardcore management.

So the launch was a disaster, but in some months the game should be very good. Still not the great Total War everyone was expecting.

Rome 2 to me is a great game game. Just be patient they have a ton of patches and DLC coming. I think I have 4 of there patchs so far and have already noticed quite a bit of difference. Mainly I just want to see a little more eye candy in the campaign map (videos), just needs some more excitement. My impressions of the battles in campaign is early on they are a little bit blan, but after gaining technology is probably the best mass battles I have ever seen in a game. Pretty cool to see siege equipment mounted on ships. Having a blast with it! I love that they added amphibious assault to this Total War. I love the different battle views, you can get right in close or some way out to almost a satellite map.

I want to see Rome 2 with "City View", that was in the 1st Rome. The city's are amazing and I would like to see them close up during peace time too.

In a nut shell Rome 2 just needs to fill out some more with patches and DLC.

Another thing is, I found a hidden gem Mafia 2. I always been a huge fan of Martin Scorsese, and read Mafia 2 was a true to life game about the mafia and really cool historical  interpretation of the 1940s and 1950s. Its a some what linear sand box. I have been really enjoying it so far. It starts of in the dead of winter, its pretty convincing, with icy streets, cars covered in snow, the sound of trains, ect ect. Really good immersion. There is a main character Vito and 2 others that you can play (DLC) Jimmy and Joe.  

I feel like Rome II came out with far too little testing and far too much misplaced budget. It's a good game now, but it's nowhere near good enough for a lot of players playing it. Bugs, hideous optimisation and performance issues, damaged AI. It wasn't released in a very good state.

I feel like after a year, it'll be a great game.

I'm just glad the developers are working hard to fix bugs and make up for the release.

I feel like Rome II came out with far too little testing and far too much misplaced budget. It's a good game now, but it's nowhere near good enough for a lot of players playing it. Bugs, hideous optimisation and performance issues, damaged AI. It wasn't released in a very good state.

I feel like after a year, it'll be a great game.

I'm just glad the developers are working hard to fix bugs and make up for the release.

I agree, it will turn out great. It just has post release bugs, and stuff that needs to be ironed out. It will be fixed. Its already improved and is running smoother since release. I'm looking forward to see more of the DLCs they got coming too. 

I'm pretty sure they rushed it out the door for release, a little to early.

Here's another thing for players to consider too, is I'm pretty sure it is more demanding on PCs the Total Wars before it too. With these next gen games coming out, you got to have some pretty beefy video cards and proc. I got SLI cards and I can hear my fans running hard when I play it. Almost sounds like it wants to fly away lol So for older pc's its got be pretty ruff, with frame rate issues and performance issues, to add onto post release bugs.

Also anyone been checking out the new Mount and Blade Bannerlord in the works? 

I had so much hope for Rome 2, and paired with they rushing it, it really turned out bad for me. On the same time, the game was way to easy, no challenge what so ever, and eventually that's what really ruined it. Seems to me like the developers went with 'look hard - play easy' to get as much good reviews as possible. I have yet to see a friend spending more than 100 hours in the game, and for that price, that's just bad value for your money.

For a while I followed the forums, but doesn't even do that more, but agree, it could turn out to be a great game. It might.

Mount & Blade always was good games though, have to check out Bannerlord.

Okay, okay, okay.

Star Citizen.

There's not much to play yet, but it has tremendous potential and I trust the developers to deliver on their major promises. I also expect many people to be disappointed in Star Citizen's developers because they expected Game of the Century Mega Awesome Perfect Game. My expectations for it as set at Very Good Space Sim.

Path of Exile
I was a long time Titan Quest fan. Tried Path of Exile. Too grim and dark for me. Also very, very difficult. But if you're looking for a top-down hack'n'slash with a lot of potential for tweaking your character, Path of Exile is something to give a try.

I had so much hope for Rome 2, and paired with they rushing it, it really turned out bad for me. On the same time, the game was way to easy, no challenge what so ever, and eventually that's what really ruined it. Seems to me like the developers went with 'look hard - play easy' to get as much good reviews as possible. I have yet to see a friend spending more than 100 hours in the game, and for that price, that's just bad value for your money.

For a while I followed the forums, but doesn't even do that more, but agree, it could turn out to be a great game. It might.

Mount & Blade always was good games though, have to check out Bannerlord.

Just give it some time, Rome 2 has many patches coming. I enjoy that series too. They just released to early. AI is getting better with every patch. Give it a few months, they will get it together. 

Bannerlord is a complete remake of Mount and Blade. So its like mount and blade 2. I'm exited to see it. Mount and Blade I thought was a corky insanely fun mid evil/ period game. The campaign mode was great fun, a little crud but fun. PvP was amazingly fun! I love the music lol I think Bannerlord hopefully will be less corky, better graffic's more options and fun.