Game-Labs Forum

The Barbary States

Ruthless4u

I don't know a huge amount about it myself. At a guess I would think that the area referred to as Barbary states, was the name given to an area that didn't have a central government as we see it. But a group of smaller 'states' possibly tribal or clan based. I know they were quite handy pirates. But I have made this comment without looking up my answer so I'm probably completely wrong.

"The Barbary States were a collection of North African states, many of which practiced state-supported piracy in order to exact tribute from weaker Atlantic powers. Morocco was an independent kingdom, Algiers, Tunis, and Tripoli Owed a loose allegiance to the Ottoman Empire." 

From a quick Google search, so going by this they were not a nation by themselves but more individual countries/cities that practiced piracy while being puppets for the ottoman turks. The word Barbary was actually a European Term that was assigned to them after them originating from the collective land of the Berber people. 

Provinces of the Ottoman Empire, nominally independent. There was also the Sultanate of Morocco under the Alaouite dynasty (Morocco's current rulers are their descendants.)

Look up the 1816 Battle of Algiers, guys.

The Dey of Algiers commanded tens of thousands of troops, defending a heavily-fortified capital with 1000 cannon. It was basically the First Battle of Copenhagen all over again. And the British engaged in very formal diplomatic negotiations between sovereign powers both preceding and following the battle.

But the Dey employed a lot of corsairs and privateers, so I guess that makes him Captain Hook.

• Like 1