Game-Labs Forum

Content Patch will be here 10-15th of April, now let's drink...

Ned Loe

Extremely pretty screenshots  

That looks amazing!

One question though : will ships run-aground with the first "land battle" patch, or will it be like how OW is currently (i.e ship comes to a complete stop with no damage inflicted near shallow water until you sail into deeper water)?

Edit : oops already been asked. Should've refreshed the thread before posting ><

Edited by Hendrik die Seevaarder

That looks amazing!

One question though : will ships run-aground with the first "land battle" patch, or will it be like how OW is currently (i.e ship comes to a complete stop with no damage inflicted near shallow water until you sail into deeper water)?

Edit : oops already been asked. Should've refreshed the thread before posting ><

We are not sure about realistic damage yet and detailed depths.

Main reason - detailed collisions eat a lot of FPS.

Better shallows/depths would only be possible if we cut down the battle size. But who knows.

• Like 3

Current OW implementation of shallows would be sufficient (restrictions on turning in place in battle instance would make it more meaningful and realistic in and of itself with no need for more complex implementation). However, if OW shallows are ignored in battle instances, it will severely limit the potential for added variety in gameplay with shallow-draft ships.

• Like 5

Better shallows/depths would only be possible if we cut down the battle size. But who knows.

As long as it's not possible to sail through the land, and there is some sort of consequence for running to the land (i.e. loss of speed, etc.), I don't think a whole lot of detail is required to achieve the desired effect.

• Like 1

Really surprised that the 42lber isn't that much better than the 24lber with the longer load time.....interesting.

-Ski

42lb is heavier than 24lb - but the difference in diameter is a lot smaller

its 16.9cm vs 14.1cm +/-

But in game 42lb will do more damage on average because it penetrates better.

Penetration numbers are outdated and were replaced by cannon class vs armor class when damage 4.0 was implemented in game.

you probably based them on the sea trials 1 xml s which still exist in game but does not work.

do more damage on average because it penetrates better

I found the penetration values in the same XML as the Crew Requirements which is why i thought they were up to date.

I'll remove the penetration values from my spreadsheet now, thanks! :)

I seem to recall reading that Camp Du Roy would go back to being a Free Town with the next content patch (then at the next port reset it will go back to being neutral again).  So that change is coming too?

it requires a rebuild of all ports database so the answer is

maybe next content patch

definitely during the port reset some time later.

Will try hard.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is expecting heightmaps.

A two-dimensional line segment can serve as a perfectly adequate sandbar. A pyramid is an underwater rock. Does this constitute detailed collisions? What's the performance hit for the five martello towers in PBs?

• Like 1

The shallows mechanic in the OW isn't engaging or in-depth (no pun intended); it's just annoying. I sincerely hope in-battle shallows have more to them. Also, how detailed do collisions need to be? As far as visuals go, you wouldn't need to see a ship disintegrate on the rocks: if the computer is already rendering the coast, the water, and the ships, how much more does it really need to do in order for there to be believable-looking instances of ships running up on sandbars and getting stuck, or hitting rocks/reefs (receiving a lot of damage and leaks) and sinking? 

Please make it happen somehow. I have faith in your team. :)

I am all for having specific ship drafts and a height map, etc., but if that is too FPS/coding intensive let's at least have more granularity to the deep/shallow system now that we will have land in battles! The shallows should act more like the areas around the Bahamas - smaller ships can sail into it but not larger ones. We should have several gradations of shallows so certain areas can be only entered by the small fore and aft ships and some by the 6th rates and smaller frigates, etc. Adds more strategy to PB when your SOL can't sail straight up to the fort and under its' guns to blast with impunity!

• Like 4

PQxUIoa.jpg

qJiLe0x.jpg

FlTZtfp.jpg

One question based on a closer review of these screenshots:

Will the wind direction relative to the land at the moment the battle is instantiated be taken into account?

In all the screenshots above, I see the wind is running parallel to the coastline and (if I'm reading it correctly) at one point blowing offshore.

Is there the possibility of the wind blowing onshore, i.e. creating a lee shore danger?

One question based on a closer review of these screenshots:

Will the wind direction relative to the land at the moment the battle is instantiated be taken into account?

In all the screenshots above, I see the wind is running parallel to the coastline and (if I'm reading it correctly) at one point blowing offshore.

Is there the possibility of the wind blowing onshore, i.e. creating a lee shore danger?

It's actually perpendicular, not parallel.

I'm sure the wind in Battle will be the same as in OW.

I must thank to the admin for posting awesome screenshots. Land in the battles will bring completely new experience to the game. I am also pleased with the speed of adding new ships to the game. Two per month seems ok. I would only like to see more big frigates with 24 pounders.