Game-Labs Forum

Development priorities 2

1,567 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote on the priorities for the next 3-4 content patches

• Hired crew and officers (incl supplying them with provisions, food production and fishing)
    • Overhaul of War & Peace mechanics and national relations, pirate role and national alliances
    • Open world PVE: epic events, more variety of fleets, more missions (incl delivery missions)
    • Arranged PVP: Leaderboards, tournaments, pvp events, duels and ow duel flags, balancer improvements
    • Overhaul of resource distribution, labor hours rework, crafting improvements, exploration for resources

I too would have preferred to vote for officer and crew mechanics but the issue of the pirates as a national faction (not to mention lack of enforcement of green on green cheat exploits) demands priority.  

If the game is to shoulder any credibility for age-of-sail feel it cannot be done without drastic overhaul of the way pirates are handled.  Currently the game is devoid of mechanics anywhere close to the way pirates operated in the 18th century and for now they are nothing more than another nation - albeit with special privileges and treatment.  It's not a stretch to say the game currently doesn't have pirates - just a national faction that happens to have a black flag.  Pirates didn't have the infrastructure to support ports, shipbuilding, or for that matter traditional crewing, and the game currently makes no attempt to create those characteristic aspects of pirating. Pirates had to use tactics and operations that were truly different.  If someone really wants to go beyond calling them self "Jack Sparrow" they are better off watching the movie - the game as of now has little to offer them.

The game otherwise does a pretty good job with with factions.  The game needs pirates.  It would be a shame to avoid providing a credible opportunity to recreate a true feel for pirating.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

I think that right now, the ASAP priority goes for...

Remove Port Battles from pirates

Reset the map + Soft reset for players, so they can select their nation again.

I am hearing increasing amount of hate from the current situation.

If possible, add a small teleport cooldown at the same time.

If possible, add a small teleport cooldown at the same time.

Oh, please no.  I am getting so much done in so much less time now, between outposts.  Besides, in order to make this a priority it would first have to be a decision.  The decision is currently zero teleport cooldown as we know.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You're loosing players in an allarming rate (steam charts?). If you want to survive, you should focus on what's important for the product now. Identify your key problem, instead of answering to small problems of different users. You should really understand what causes players to leave.

My experience is that everyone who gets to top level in combat and crafting quickly looses interest in the game and leaves at some point. They're not interested in missions, as bots are never as good as players. Missions work as long as you're grinding up the ranks. Players get less and less PvP action every day. You should really focus on two points:
- politics to give people a higher goal and additional incentive to get higher in a hierarchy (as many people in Naval Action like grind and progressing in ranks)
- port battle mechanics to make it more frequent, make it a zone where there's always an action and that focuses all active players around a single area

If you don't manage to do this in 1 month, I predict we just won't have enough players to keep game in the current form. It's sad, as I really like the game.

Wow, majority of players voted for Politics and we get Crew management first actually.

Very interesting choice makes by devs. I hope next content patch will rock cuz if not: cya in september !!!

I believe only bc they are still deciding what to do with pirates, port battles, and politics.

What they need to do with pirates is at least obvious. Why they don't do it less so.

It has to be built alongside and in relation to: politics, war and peace.

IIRC Pirates & Privateering shall have its own specific thread.

You're loosing players in an allarming rate (steam charts?). If you want to survive, you should focus on what's important for the product now. Identify your key problem, instead of answering to small problems of different users. You should really understand what causes players to leave.

My experience is that everyone who gets to top level in combat and crafting quickly looses interest in the game and leaves at some point. They're not interested in missions, as bots are never as good as players. Missions work as long as you're grinding up the ranks. Players get less and less PvP action every day. You should really focus on two points:

- politics to give people a higher goal and additional incentive to get higher in a hierarchy (as many people in Naval Action like grind and progressing in ranks)

- port battle mechanics to make it more frequent, make it a zone where there's always an action and that focuses all active players around a single area

If you don't manage to do this in 1 month, I predict we just won't have enough players to keep game in the current form. It's sad, as I really like the game.

Agree on that, really look into why people are bandoning the game now, one reason can be the lack of exitement grinding upwards is missing, once you have reached the highest rank / crafting level, then there's no more for the player other than repeating PB, looking for PVP which usually ends up in ganking with no fun in it, since the outcome already has been determined at the start of the battle.

Maybe if some rewards could be introduced for 1vs.1 PVP, and for instance only a minimum XP / gold for ganking squads, whereas the one being ganked is contributed x2 XP / gold for fighting an uneven fight. That way you are honouring the ganked instead of the ganks. There has to be put a penalty on ganking squads to make them less common.

Maybe an option before entering battle where you can chose whether you want boarding to be included in the battle (You chose whether your crew should be aware of leaks etc. or just be focused on fighting until the ship goes under the waves. meaning the enemy cannot borad you and capture your ship.

What they need to do with pirates is at least obvious. Why they don't do it less so.

Ohh, you still dream that the Brits will rule the waves...let me tell you, I'm only happy that Brits are being challenged by an equal size fraction (The pirates), so the Brit dominance is gone, that wasn't healthy for the game at all, especially not how you managed to take extreme advantage of it.

One way to deal with one nation having the largest population making them able to ruffle stomp basically everyother nation would be that if a nation has a certain percentage more players than the average of other nations, then that large nation is fighting on it's own, This calculation shall be based on active players only, because all nations suffer from players abandoning the game....

Smaller nations can offer their services to other nations meaning in PB etc. they are flying the other nations flag.

For instance Denmark-Norway is being attacked by the British and French captains offer their service to the Denmark-Norwegian Navy, and they fly the Danish Flag. Off course they will have to be paid for it - nothing is for free, but it would allow smaller nations to withstand bigger nations attack. Also mercenaries can defend ports (but only defend ports) for the nation they are hired in for. To attack a port a certain percentage has to be the nations own players.

Also, all portimers should be open in the same timeslot - no more shitty timers in the mittle of the night, but instead the timers are open in 12 hour slots or 24 hours.

No Nations can actively defend a port for such long time, but they can hire in an AI fleet for defending the port at any given time, that would make portbattles a bit more interesting since you cannot capture "empty" ports anymore and the attacker HAS to bring a substantial fleet in order to conquer the port.

AI fleets defending ports shall be a bit better than the usual AI fleets you encounter in missions.

The Nation hiring in an defending AI fleet can pick the size of the fleet and size will determine the cost of that service. But the size of the AI fleet is hidden and will only become visible for the attacker once the battle has begun. Which means there has be put some restrictions on the battle timer as well, since that could be exploited too,

For instance you have an attacking fleet consisting of 15 ships, but the port is defended by a full force of 25 ships the attacking fleet want's to retreat, however the attacking force cannot exit battle and have to fight it to the bitter end.

The other way around you as the attacker, come with 25 ships, and it's defended only by a handfull ships e.g. battle should be won

Edited by The_Scipio

actually one of the biggest things done poorly (and still is) is the devs making vague statements with no information behind it, no follow up after numerous times there has been direct and pointed questions. And letting the player base come up with what amounts to interpreting less information that you'd fins in a fortune cookie into what the devs plan to do.

CASE IN POINT:

in march the devs made a post stating that the servers were going to merge. No information as to which servers, when was a nebulous date and no information was given past that for 2 months. Many of us (myself and clan included) left pvp2 because we had at that time, no confidence that everything we had worked for would come over to pvp1. While i had been established on pvp1 it was in a different faction than where we decided to go. And starting all over cost us a few players, then server problems as the server wasn't able to match the demand of the players trying to access pvp1 outstripped its capabilities, this caused more ppl to leave or "take a break" and have not returned. once that ball started rolling the doom/gloom crowd yelling the game is dead, coupled with the fact that gamers are for the most part, sheep and followed the crowd.

My point is, all of that would have been avoided if the devs had given us, at that time, some more info than a half sentence to go on. It by far caused more problems than it could have solved. And unfortunately it continues still with yet another half sentence on possible merge, and yet again, no information at all on it no matter how many ppl ask. The mishandling of things of this nature has hurt the game more than any mechanics change or short term breaking of the mechanics could ever do. And if they hadn't said anything about merging the servers. I'm pretty sure we'd have a lot more people on today.

CASE IN POINT:

in march the devs made a post stating that the servers were going to merge. No information as to which servers, when was a nebulous date and no information was given past that for 2 months. 

merges are always announced in advance. if it happens it will be announced well before the merge - at least 30 days before.. 

but we have not made this decision yet. if we do we will post about it

• Like 1

Developmental Priority

get rid of AI fleets (yet again).

1) Fleets do not solve the Ganking situation, as the Gankers use their fleet to offset the defender's fleet. (e.g. a 3-1 Gank becomes a 9-3 gank. Noting changed except the victim loses MORE money the he otherwise would)

2) Fleets turn a PVP situation into a predominantly PVE situation. (1-1 100% PVP becomes… 3-3 33% PVP - 66%PVE)

3) Most importantly… New players cannot field a fleet capable of protecting them! A Gank fleeter will have a huge ship/firepower/manpower advantage over a newb! I cannot emphaise this enough! (and it seems many, many people don't get this)  (e.g) A newb on a brig gets attacked by a fleet-Ganker on a brig, who has 2 cutters as a fleet. Which is a MUCH worse situation that a newb on a brig, who gets attacked by a Ganker on a brig.

End the madness...

#NoFleets!

Pagan Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fleets need to stay, they are only problem to bottom feeders. Like pirates who hunt players who can't even run a cerb. AI fleets are the only way a low level can leave a camped capital port, and these bored as hell pirates are constantly camping capitals now to the point were people who can fight them stop caring or say screw it and pack up and go pirate. Its getting old fast there was a first rate, and few renmees camping today, so unless you had a rattle snake you couldn't leave the safety of the capital to try level up, and make money so you could actually run a ship to fight them. I mean come on an entire US clan packed and went pirate high end one, its just stupid game is getting so bad for any one who isn't high rank or in a clan the population is dying. I mean ctown camp today probably caused at least 20 low levels to rage quit, or go to the PVE server.

I love pvp, but this is not it, its just one sided shit fest, pirates don't even need the cargo any more I had one bragging about how he was rich over 12 million gold coins he attacked low levels just because he thought it was fun, and there was nothing else left for him to do, any any high levels show up they just scatter like roaches then come back out when they think its safe to camp again. Its making people just give up and go pirate, I mean come on about half the server is going pirate now on pvp two and they keep acting like they are underdogs, when there 7 of them today camping c-town last time I saw a group form to chase them off it was 4 guys, the numbers are getting so bad soon you just won't be able to play near a capital with out flying the jolly rogger.

What we need is to limit pirates they should be a threat, but not the most powerful group in the seas. They should be the under dogs you don't take lightly that scatter to the winds like they use to be when they chaotic, back before US started defecting to it in mass. I mean they use to complain they were like a bag of angry cats more likely to fight each other then other nations now they are taking some of the most organized clans from the other factions and becoming a super power just because they wanted to swap factions but keep their mountains of gold, and ships.

What we need is like old planet side and what not. Limit the amount of active people in the factions, we should have 1/3 or more the server pop playing one faction. And enable some kind perks to the under dog nations and nerf pirates, it should be hard not the easiest thing in the game to do. I mean I almost went pirate when 2/3 the server was US with me, but damn I do not regret not taking that way out now. We need a wipe for factions and the map at some point, when we get a new system in play to balance this. I would love to try and tell people to play this but its so niche right now if your not in a big clan or a pirate your basically better off playing World of Warships and forget this part of the navy genre entirely. I mean come on population is dying because of this use to be a huge game and now I haven't seen it 200 yet, pirates pull one of these camp capital stunts to screw over low levels and you just see the population stagnant even more as any one who can't run renmee or better is forced off. Or worse I saw guys in nation chat too bored of chasing pirates to be bothered offering protection form pirates for money. So you got pay a clan to let you leave c-town when its under siege now that it is in your own faction or roll the dice they attack some one else and you can sneak out.

I mean I welcome pvp when this was new and server thriving before the US migration, I was chasing pirate cutters with my cutter away form ctown that was attacking people doing missions, it was great fun, even had a swede show up to a battle against npc trade ship, and defend it, annoyed me at the time but it was capable challenge I sunk him and got the trade ship still. But now its me driving out of the port in a snow and finding a surpise attacking me, or today logging in to hear how 7 pirates including a 1st rate were camping capital. I got make money some how to pack all my buildings and move away from c-town but I can't leave port with out rolling the dice I am gonna get killed. And they don't even want my cargo they just want ruin my day, its like 4chan for them they just want troll and piss people off. Its why I can't recommend this game anymore, I got one friend who still plays but its so aggravating when we are doing good, and we can handle one or two pirates out in the area, but when I see 7, each one in a ship that can make mine into swiss cheese, able to demast me if I try to run yeah I suddenly want pack it in and wait for the weekdays to play again.

Edited by Zalzany

That is a long text and can indeed be condensed to some groups engaging whomever.

It could be pirates and it can happen anytime if your nation is at war with any other nation other than the black.

Any of the high ranks did anything or did they just ignore the pleads for help ? Easy to blame mechanics to excuse players decisions.

I see every single day high ranks doing the most miserable mistakes and leaving many of their nation companions in the mud.

Oh and Traders have no ranks.

I believe diplomacy mechanisms are the most important to address at this time. The other topics are also important, and i hope the devs can resolve them in future updates.

I am a pvp player. I have not done many pve battles and have leveled mostly in pvp battles. Port battles are a great XP and $$$ source, even after the crew update. The heart and soul of this games long term players is pvp.

I do see one fundamental problem with the current game. That is, the over abundance of ports, and the lack of any real payer ownership or responsibility once capturing a port. I believe the number of ports should increase as the server pop increases. Here is how you do it: You have a map with just capital cities and nearby ports in a no pvp safe zone. These ports have limited resource potential, mostly food and wood. Land masses outside of the capital land will have different sets of resource fertility. Player clans can sail out to these lands and explore or survey the land. They can then found a city an that city could allow resource buildings based on the fertility. A city costs upkeep, for things like port defenses, needs to be stocked by the clan with munitions, cost of hiring Ai fleets to patrol the rout between the city and another selected city. Clans could make the city their home city. They could found additional satellite cities etc... All based on if they can afford upkeep. Trader clans could create trade empires this way, pvp clans could pvp in port battles or defend a friendly clans city, etc. Clans could go to the capital and buy a letter permitting them to go to war with another clan and set a victory condition, eg. Capture x port, sink x gold worth of ships, etc. An honor system would also need to be implemented. You get honor for sinking enemy nation ships, lose honor for sinking your nations ships. If your honor goes too negative, you get the mark of a pirate and anyone can sink you. Clans can decide if they want pirate players to enter their city, forcing those who enjoy being pirate to clan up and found pirate cities. Pirates would still retain the nationality of the nation they started as, and could pay gold to purchase a difficult mission to return to 0 honor. Pirates would not be a nation. Pirate clans could exact ransom on neighbors and pvp clans could hunt enemies and pirates and vice versa. Having each clan create its own ecosystem of cities will allow them to specialize, and trade would be vital. Alliances could be forged with clans, not a one dimensional nation to nation alliance that can't be enforced. Ally clans would have green names, neutral gray, and enemy red. Resource output in the buildings you could purchase in cities would be tied to the lands fertility. Ports can be upgraded to different levels, 1-10. If an enemy wins a port battle, they can keep the port but it loses half its levels, or they can pillage it for loot and it loses a third of its levels. A level one port can be demolished. Free ports would still be a thing, anyone could use free ports, and they would be pre exiting like the current ones. Clans could set up free ports in their own ports by having the clan leader select the preferences in a port management screen.

This idea could be expanded on and I hope the war and peace update is a move in this direction.

Fleets need to stay, they are only problem to bottom feeders. Like pirates who hunt players who can't even run a cerb. AI fleets are the only way a low level can leave a camped capital port, and these bored as hell pirates are constantly camping capitals now to the point were people who can fight them stop caring or say screw it and pack up and go pirate. Its getting old fast there was a first rate, and few renmees camping today, so unless you had a rattle snake you couldn't leave the safety of the capital to try level up, and make money so you could actually run a ship to fight them. I mean come on an entire US clan packed and went pirate high end one, its just stupid game is getting so bad for any one who isn't high rank or in a clan the population is dying. I mean ctown camp today probably caused at least 20 low levels to rage quit, or go to the PVE server.

I love pvp, but this is not it, its just one sided shit fest, pirates don't even need the cargo any more I had one bragging about how he was rich over 12 million gold coins he attacked low levels just because he thought it was fun, and there was nothing else left for him to do, any any high levels show up they just scatter like roaches then come back out when they think its safe to camp again. Its making people just give up and go pirate, I mean come on about half the server is going pirate now on pvp two and they keep acting like they are underdogs, when there 7 of them today camping c-town last time I saw a group form to chase them off it was 4 guys, the numbers are getting so bad soon you just won't be able to play near a capital with out flying the jolly rogger.

What we need is to limit pirates they should be a threat, but not the most powerful group in the seas. They should be the under dogs you don't take lightly that scatter to the winds like they use to be when they chaotic, back before US started defecting to it in mass. I mean they use to complain they were like a bag of angry cats more likely to fight each other then other nations now they are taking some of the most organized clans from the other factions and becoming a super power just because they wanted to swap factions but keep their mountains of gold, and ships.

What we need is like old planet side and what not. Limit the amount of active people in the factions, we should have 1/3 or more the server pop playing one faction. And enable some kind perks to the under dog nations and nerf pirates, it should be hard not the easiest thing in the game to do. I mean I almost went pirate when 2/3 the server was US with me, but damn I do not regret not taking that way out now. We need a wipe for factions and the map at some point, when we get a new system in play to balance this. I would love to try and tell people to play this but its so niche right now if your not in a big clan or a pirate your basically better off playing World of Warships and forget this part of the navy genre entirely. I mean come on population is dying because of this use to be a huge game and now I haven't seen it 200 yet, pirates pull one of these camp capital stunts to screw over low levels and you just see the population stagnant even more as any one who can't run renmee or better is forced off. Or worse I saw guys in nation chat too bored of chasing pirates to be bothered offering protection form pirates for money. So you got pay a clan to let you leave c-town when its under siege now that it is in your own faction or roll the dice they attack some one else and you can sneak out.

I mean I welcome pvp when this was new and server thriving before the US migration, I was chasing pirate cutters with my cutter away form ctown that was attacking people doing missions, it was great fun, even had a swede show up to a battle against npc trade ship, and defend it, annoyed me at the time but it was capable challenge I sunk him and got the trade ship still. But now its me driving out of the port in a snow and finding a surpise attacking me, or today logging in to hear how 7 pirates including a 1st rate were camping capital. I got make money some how to pack all my buildings and move away from c-town but I can't leave port with out rolling the dice I am gonna get killed. And they don't even want my cargo they just want ruin my day, its like 4chan for them they just want troll and piss people off. Its why I can't recommend this game anymore, I got one friend who still plays but its so aggravating when we are doing good, and we can handle one or two pirates out in the area, but when I see 7, each one in a ship that can make mine into swiss cheese, able to demast me if I try to run yeah I suddenly want pack it in and wait for the weekdays to play again.

Comming from a player who literally sails his fleets right into the face of pirates.

Ive watched this on numerous occasions. He iseither afk sailing or completely lost as to how or what hes doing.

Ive even witnesses this person jump into a gangbang a taunt the enemy only to be sunk minutes later because he dont pay attention.

Please dont change an entire game to placate people with zero awareness or game intelligence. Please.

• Like 1

It would be awesome if some pirates would come camp at my nations capital. I sail around and pvp a lot, so it would be nice if the pvp action came to me for a change. I have only been ganked once by pirates. I was in my under crewed basic Connie and got attacked by a trinc and Connie. I ended up sinking them both, they were so bad. Most times you can avoid ganks, so here is my list of things to do to avoid getting ganked.

1. Don't leave port.

2. Sail with friends.

3. Sail only fast ships.

4. Stay out of enemy territory.

5. Know your optimal sailing angle for max speed vs opponent.

6. Take a strong fleet with you.

7. Watch the horizon for a enemies.

It would be awesome if some pirates would come camp at my nations capital. I sail around and pvp a lot, so it would be nice if the pvp action came to me for a change. I have only been ganked once by pirates. I was in my under crewed basic Connie and got attacked by a trinc and Connie. I ended up sinking them both, they were so bad. Most times you can avoid ganks, so here is my list of things to do to avoid getting ganked.

1. Don't leave port.

2. Sail with friends.

3. Sail only fast ships.

4. Stay out of enemy territory.

5. Know your optimal sailing angle for max speed vs opponent.

6. Take a strong fleet with you.

7. Watch the horizon for a enemies.

Pretty much this. Why is this so hard for some people.

As a new player 3 days into game.. I find the grind of leveling quite boring. Only way to level is doing orders..while all fine and dandy some new missions and variation would be awesome.

Not sure how much more I can take of doing 3 ship battles..to port..oil 3 ship battles..to port...rinse and repeat

If you want to grow your base the higher players are going to have to deal with what they got. Developers should be worrying about how to get players to stick once they start. If they did a special price people would buy..then they would play and with no other missions or other way to gain xp other than doing the same thing over and over they will leave.

As a new player 3 days into game.. I find the grind of leveling quite boring. Only way to level is doing orders..while all fine and dandy some new missions and variation would be awesome.

Not sure how much more I can take of doing 3 ship battles..to port..oil 3 ship battles..to port...rinse and repeat

If you want to grow your base the higher players are going to have to deal with what they got. Developers should be worrying about how to get players to stick once they start. If they did a special price people would buy..then they would play and with no other missions or other way to gain xp other than doing the same thing over and over they will leave.

There is pvp, and ow ai to get fast easy xp. Missions are for zombies who need hand holding.