Game-Labs Forum
kumisz

Unequal crew casualties against AI

This problem was mocking me for a while now. It appears that the AI ships take much higher crew loss ratio than the player facing them.

For example, I fought a 3rd rate ship of the line in my Constitution.

My Constitution looks like this: common, live oak, blue speed buff, 360 crew (Post Captain 350 + fine Extra Hammocks), 2 decks of long 12pd guns, 9pd bow chasers, no stern chasers.

The battle was pretty much just sailing parallel with each other, trading broadsides, then I placed myself on his other side, and sailed parallel again, until he sunk.

In the process, he lost 174 of his crew (almost all lost in more or less perpendicular angle shots, 14 lost in a rake)

Meanwhile, I lost 1 (one) man, despite the enemy's heavier and more guns, and their persistent fire.

Crew loss ratios like this are very common, in fact, every time I traded broadsides with the enemy, they looked like this. Are these intentional to make beating the enemy easier, or are they caused by, say, my better wood type ship, or simply a bug?

It depends where you are aiming as well. I noticed the AI shoots at or below your lower gun deck. I tend to aim for the middle gun deck unless i am trying to make leaks. I think this tends to be the main difference, the other one i the AI seems to spread the fire along the bottom, i tend to aim towards the rear.

It depends where you are aiming as well. I noticed the AI shoots at or below your lower gun deck. I tend to aim for the middle gun deck unless i am trying to make leaks. I think this tends to be the main difference, the other one i the AI seems to spread the fire along the bottom, i tend to aim towards the rear.

The AI focused fire amidships, below the gun deck.

I tried to spread my fire to the entire length of his ship, mainly aiming for the main gun deck (the lowest one with the biggest guns). That might be a reason for the crew losses.

AI crew loss doesn't seem to matter much for reload and sailing. If crew loss should be changed, it's influence on AI reload/sailing should be balanced accordingly.

AI crew loss doesn't seem to matter much for reload and sailing. If crew loss should be changed, it's influence on AI reload/sailing should be balanced accordingly.

Actually, I noticed that as the enemy loses too much crew and can't sustain the simultaneous reloading of all guns on 1 broadside, its broadsides become scattered, less and less guns fire with the "main" broadside and more fire one by one, as they reload at other times, because the crew is not enough to reload every gun at the same time. So it actually DOES effect the reload of the enemy.

Similar with the sail handling, while in the beginning, with full crew the enemy ship could more or less turn on par with my Constitution, but later (when I changed side) the enemy's maneouverablity, which mostly comes from the sail handling, is greatly reduced, and he has no chance to match my moves, making outmaneouvering him pretty easy. Again, the crew loss cripple the enemy big time.

All AI ships got marines on... that means part of crew is always in boarding action= higher looses from cannons fire.

I think you'll find the main cause of this being that AI 3rd rates always seem to be armed with medium cannons, which are significantly less effective than longs at killing crew.

Fighting AI 3rds in my own I could easily kill 10 or more crew for each one I lose, but go against another player also using longs and my own crew is killed significantly faster.

I think it is a balancing factor. If your crew dies the same way as AI does, it will be nearly impossible to intercept bigger fleets with less players and gain solid XP for your effort. Now we are running fleets 1x 3rd + 1x trinco and we can take down 2 Conni+5frigs flets or 1rd rate+frigs fleets. I can not imagine doing this after losing 100 sailors.

Edited by Porpoise