Game-Labs Forum

Compass Map Overlay

Here's a wee tip for yall.

Download Overlay https://sourceforge.net/projects/overlayapp/?source=typ_redirect Load compass image into it.  Use it to overlay in your map screen for more accurate sailing to mission, ports etc.

Compass Image - http://s27.postimg.org/4nkioj0ur/NA_Compass.png

Compass is resizable.
compas_demo.jpg

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 5

I am hoping that the developers will make some basic and period authentic tools for the map. Your compass is a good example of this.

What I actually had in mind was the map toolset from Silent Hunter 3 if anyone remembers that game. The game gave you a pair of compasses, a set square, a ruler, a protractor and an eraser which you could use to plot courses, headings etc. It was a bit like a school geometry set. If they produced something that fit with 18th century authenticity (eg no erasers) then it would help nicely but not spoonfeed us too much either.

If anyone can find some footage of SH3 toolset working then it would be nice if they could link to it.

• Like 2

I am hoping that the developers will make some basic and period authentic tools for the map. Your compass is a good example of this.

What I actually had in mind was the map toolset from Silent Hunter 3 if anyone remembers that game. The game gave you a pair of compasses, a set square, a ruler, a protractor and an eraser which you could use to plot courses, headings etc. It was a bit like a school geometry set. If they produced something that fit with 18th century authenticity (eg no erasers) then it would help nicely but not spoonfeed us too much either.

If anyone can find some footage of SH3 toolset working then it would be nice if they could link to it.

https://youtu.be/27Yc_gERL0Q?t=4m15s

I'd love it, if when in the OW you zoomed all the way in on your ship - to that view just above the deck - you'd see a compass bearing of the direction you were pointed in.

You'd then be able to take actual bearings on landmarks, and, with a ruler for use on the map, be able to plot your position, just like "in real life".

It would be cool.

Sorry for being a noob but where can I dowmload a picture of the compass to use in overlay?

Here I mocked a better one up that's more suited to the NA compass.

Make sure you set it on zoom in the overlay and reduce the opacity.

Right click > save image as.

NA_Compass.png

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I doubt this would satisfy the whiners, but looks like a valuable and period-appropriate addition to the navigation tool set.  

Now all we need is some sort of sextant to "shoot the sun" and determine position thereby ... a capability available from the mid-18th century but discussed in principle earlier by Sir Issac Newton.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant

Perhaps an advanced skill and tool could be included in the game, a perk to be earned ... "Celestial Navigation" ... with grades of skill, and requiring a "Chronometer" with grades of quality and a "Sextant" of grades of quality and "Star tables" of various quality.   Combined, they might allow the captain to determine latitude and longitude and other knowledge.

~ H. Knox ~

• Like 1

I have downloaded the compass to my PC but having a hard time making it work on NA in game Map.  Can someone help me on this with some input on how to do it?  Thanks  Toggman

I used intensely Overlay for compass before discovering Vedmed map ... and yet sometimes I do use it for the pleasure of navigating "withouth help of my navigation officer"

Take in account overlay app does not work "on" NA game map itself, but you use the app placed  OVER it

I take for granted you downloaded the app AND the compasss image provided by longbeard...

1- Open Overlay.

2- right click on it for the contextual menu.  choose "select Image" option and find the compass image you downloades

3- right click again, choose"Image size mode" and take ZOOM option in sub-menu

4- right click again, choose "Opacity" and adjust the bar to aprox 40% 

Now when you re in game and choose see the map (<M> by default) you can ALT+TAB to the overlay app, and it will appear on top on the map.

That´s all, BTW I play tha game in windowed mode , do not know if you can do alt+TAB thing with full-screen

Edited by Eishen
  • Like 2

When I Alt-Tab from the Naval Action Map I am routed to the Desktop, showing the Compass Overlay on top of the Desktop, not on top of the NA Map. 

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

When I Alt-Tab from the Naval Action Map I am routed to the Desktop, showing the Compass Overlay on top of the Desktop, not on top of the NA Map. 

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks

try running  the game in window mode. if your PC is not too old you should not notice any problem