Game-Labs Forum

Why This Economy and Game Will Utterly Fail

Apparently former communist block raised developers have no clue what a real economy is and how it works. What they say they want is a "Player Driven Economy". What they have created is a "Stalinist Rationed Economy". Let me explain the difference and why it is no surprise why former Russian developers made this system the way that it is.

1. In a real player or human driven economy the world is populated with vast resources that a player can mine, cut down, grow, harvest, etc. The limit to how much the player can get is most often based simply on how much time a player wants to spend harvesting, mining, or growing this resource. The world itself is always abundant with resources, albeit sometimes, difficult to get too.

In Naval Action, Stalin sets a daily limit on what you can get, how you can get it, and limits how many hours you have to get it with. Here, the world has no resources at all. You are simply rationed a certain amount of resources that the developers think that you need. You are also rationed working hours. Sorry, you only get so many labor hours says Stalin, after that you have to sit on your butt doing nothing like all the other comrades. A players production is now totally dictated by the state and not himself. You made a communist game, congrats.

2. The mentality of the developers prevents them from being able to notice the communist system of rationing that they have developed. Because this is an ingrained mentality based ideology, the developers themselves are helpless to fix it. You can't take the stripes off the tiger. This is why they can't even begin to understand what a real player driven economy is in the first place. Hoping that an entire group of developers will suddenly "see the light" is a false hope indeed. They instead have communism ideology so deeply ingrained in their psyche that they are utterly powerless to reverse this course. Why? It is because in their view, what they have now created IS a "player driven economy". They can't even begin to even recognize that they don't have one. Even if they read my post, even if 1000 people show them that they have a rationed Stalin system, they, will never see it.

And so, this game is utterly doomed as a failed attempt to create a player driven game under totalitarian Stalinist controls and the developers themselves will shake their heads in disbelief as to why it just never seemed to work right from this point forward.

Conclusion:

The current system will result in the exact same situation that all rationing systems lead too, which is player hording, not selling. Players will simply make their allotted rationed amount and horde it or only privately trade it to a friend in a barter type trade. People will not sell it in ports because what they want to buy will also not be there for purchase. They will only contract sell any leftovers at exorbitant prices. And what happens in all hording? You some some players who will have 2000 copper and hording it because it is the only good that he has, while another player has 2000 iron and will be hording that because that is all he can have. The only amount a player will be willing to sell will only be what he can replace for certain the next day, which so far is only 45 or so of any good. Sounds like a real great rationed system fellas.

Edited by Sin Khan
  • Like 3

Economy is already fucking up.. there are buy orders for iron ore in every port ... a grand petition was laid out weeks ago to remove buy orders.. but those commies failed to comply... further petition to reduce buying to maximum of 200 per buy order was also ignored.

Now only one player in entire nation of an entire server is able to buy iron ore at a decent price (60-70% cheaper than everyone else) because of this stupid buy order.

This comment is not related to most of the current economic issues.. so God knows what else is bothering other players but this buy order certainly pulled a hair out of my fat ass.

• Like 1

I believe he just explained his reasoning mate.

Yeah he said:" Hoping that an entire group of developers will suddenly "see the light" is a false hope indeed.". While in reality this is one of the dev teams who listen the most to the community I have experienced. The game is still in early access and there's a lot to be worked on, and if the players doesn't like the economy and complain it will differently change. And for the first point, I assume that while the admins are slowly removing the port productions, the player productions will get boosted more and more, so that it wont just be a limited amount of resources per day. This is why I said no reasoning.

Dude, your post is not appropriate, it's way out of line, your attacks on the developers are not appreciated and won't be tolerated. Looks like you may have some great ideas though. Maybe head over to the suggestions forum and make some constructive suggestions.

Edited by Stix
  • Like 11

With all due respect.. anything East of Czech Republic has no economy.. so no business school nor financial minister can ever understand how a true economic performance is supposed to look like; moreorless implement some of these performances on an age of sail online game.

I think you fail to understand that during the age of sail the economics definetly didn't work as they do in most vestern countries today. Also you fail to understand that there is no "true economic performance", economics will always be based on opinions, and China is a great example on that you don't need the western economics to do really well.

• Like 2

Apparently former communist block raised developers have no clue what a real economy is and how it works. What they say they want is a "Player Driven Economy". What they have created is a "Stalinist Rationed Economy". Let me explain the difference and why it is no surprise why former Russian developers made this system the way that it is.

It takes time to build a reputation. It takes one post to ruin it

This post is a great example how you can quickly ruin your reputation as a forum member (all forum members are kind of members of the development team). 

I will keep this post open for everyone to see :)

Now the response to all other players 

Sir Khan's comments show complete lack of understanding of everything related to games.

Games are constructed worlds built around rules. As Sid Meier said - games are interesting because of constraints. Every game put limitations or rationing of some form for multiple reason.

"Player driven" does not mean "like in real world". Player driven does not mean it should not have constraints

Economy is already player driven because if you see a Trincomalee: it is built by players for players using resources transported or created by players.

We are pretty open and play the game just like you. We see no need in creative salty metaphors.

• Sir Khan posting rights are removed for cooling down because you can critique the game and our actions but trolling/attacking devs is not allowed here. 
  • Lord van pelt is put on the premod queue too for attacking/trolling all citizens east of Czech republic!
  • Also: Mods and Devs are not biased but posts by clan members affect opinions about the clan itself and might affect access to early testing of ships and features.
  • Like 26