Game-Labs Forum

What ive learned about Master & Commander movie

Mrdoomed

Ok so after playing NA and talking to people and listenig to opinions and forum ideas ive learned a few things about a movie i used to think was good.

1. The french command was a coward who was scared of fair pvp and ganked a smaller ship for easy xp.

2. The English captain was also a coward afraid of pvp who after learning he was going to lose chose to run instead of allowing his ship to be sunk.

3. The chase. Once the coward british captian fixed his ship he gave chase to the french ship. It was during this chase that i realized the world was to big and it took hours just to get to his objective and the map should be smaller.

4. The weather and storms lasted way way to long and effected the movie to much.

Am i missing anything.

• Like 15

- There were no whales or dolphins, which for a movie about naval combat in the age of sail was an unforgivable oversight

- The need to chase after the prize at the end (due to a feared uprising by the hidden French captain) was unnecessary because we all know that "Send to Outpost" never fails

- M&C Aubrey had been sailing for the Royal Navy since he was a young boy, but was only leveled up to a 5th rate. The grind is too long.

• Like 14

To be fair, the mast for a larger ship at the time wasn't just one piece of wood, it was a core of wood surrounded by multiple trunks that were cut into sections that would fit around the core and then held together by iron bands that were fitted while hot so they would contract and keep the entire thing tightly compressed. Destroying one of those masts was extremely difficult, since they were basically a bundle of telephone poles held together with iron bands. In the movie the mast collapses after just two hits.

Edited by Aetrion
  • Like 1

- Learned that crew also gets magically replaced, especially on the Royal Navy ships.

- Found myself cheering "ACHERON!!!" given the recent developments in our imaginary real world of NA

- Tried to take a glimpse to any fabled Forester's Pellew Sights without success.

- Discussion over Aubrey's choice of Marines over Powder Monkeys is necessary

• Like 2

Aubrey has a Customize Figurehead consumable, Forthcoming in game. He must be an Alpha Tester.

He also has an obsolete Surgeon, which was discontinued some time ago in closed alpha.

If I understand Aubrey's description correctly, his 5ht rate has build strength and speed.

• Like 1

Aubrey obviously was using a hack because he had both navigation equipment AND a spyglass during OW so he was a cheater.

The set they built for the ocean scenes was poorly constructed: high in the middle, drooping at the edges.  Because the lines weren't straight, that's why he had to have navigation equipment.  ;-)

To be fair, the mast for a larger ship at the time wasn't just one piece of wood, it was a core of wood surrounded by multiple trunks that were cut into sections that would fit around the core and then held together by iron bands that were fitted while hot so they would contract and keep the entire thing tightly compressed. Destroying one of those masts was extremely difficult, since they were basically a bundle of telephone poles held together with iron bands. In the movie the mast collapses after just two hits.

As far as I can tell from the books I have on the subject - losing masts was very common indeed.

The Marines were giving no penalty to the reload time :( and they sucked hard in hitting anything but the doctor. Basic gunnery handbooks probably.

To be fair, Id say they were grey marines, judging by the number of them and their musketry. ;)

- there are no time wasting activities other than what the Admiralty Service requires. No sightseeing around, no messing with bugs. Find the enemy and open a battle instance. All the rest is secondary.

• Like 1