Game-Labs Forum

Public "API" for Naval Action

I don't think that live data is the concern he is referring to.

* a file dump or read-only api that is hosted separately from the game servers causes no concern over hacks or injection or denial of service to affect the game. Since its hosted separately, the machine is also not likely a vector past a game labs firewall.

The point that apis should be secured is a fair one, but is just part of being a software professional and doesn't deserve mention here unless we notice a mistake.

* making information about the state of the game world readily available CAN lead to unintended consequences in terms of advantages to players, new exploits, etc. That's what we're here to discuss in specifcs. And, it's one reason to start with a simple data export like this one instead of a functional API.

An example of the second case might have been revealing a player's location by including player shop contracts by name. But, that's not there so we're ok on that one.

Edited by ObiQuiet
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but once npc port resources are eliminated, prices and quantities will be set by players.    I am guessing that trade hubs will be set up.  Players won't want to spread out across the map because not all ports can have guaranteed protection. [...]

I still don't think shop data should be published, but I don't think it will really matter.  Once npcs are taken out of production, I think the economy will drastically change and this tool won't really affect it or give a major advantage.  It will mostly show where the trading hubs are. 

Good points.  I agree that without NPC production the ability to make lots of money on small price spreads will diminish, especially if NPC shops don't buy anything either.

blueprint "class" called RecipeTemplate

Thanks for the reply. But still i don't quite get it. How would one get the required parts for a lets say Bellona? As for a question of Mored you stated earlier:

all the data is in blueprint template, it has all references and FullRequirements field which contains all required materials

I dont see anything pointing from RecipeTemplate to the contained   "RecipeResourceTemplate"s. Sorry for bothering again, but did i miss something?

Thanks for the reply. But still i don't quite get it. How would one get the required parts for a lets say Bellona? As for a question of Mored you stated earlier:

I dont see anything pointing from RecipeTemplate to the contained   "RecipeResourceTemplate"s. Sorry for bothering again, but did i miss something?

Ok, I've found the issue - part of the data is not being exported. I will fix this in a next couple of weeks (most likely with a next content patch)

Sorry for messing things up

• Like 2

Thanks for the data, makes things a lot easier for me, instead of relying on people to enter data into my site, I can use this.

Although, I'd prefer pure JSON as opposed to JSONP, as not everyone uses pure Javascript, and I dislike the need to sanitize the data before parsing (also, if I was being picky, its not even truly valid JSONP anyway).

JSONP:

Callback(
    {
        "Hello": "World"
    }
);

Also, the UTF-8 issue is a bit of a deal breaker so far for me.

Once at least the UTF-8 issue is resolved, I'll integrate this into my tool (https://www.navalaction.tools), and make a public API available for all data.

In-case anyone is curious, I'm planning on creating a file hash from the json files, storing those in reddis and then on subsequent imports, creating a new hash and comparing to see if anything has changed before attempting a full blown import, and then using a differential algorithm to work out exactly what changed, so I have no need to perform a full loop of the data, although I'll have to create a benchmark to see the differences in time to see if the differential is necessary.

Thanks for the data, makes things a lot easier for me, instead of relying on people to enter data into my site, I can use this.

Although, I'd prefer pure JSON as opposed to JSONP, as not everyone uses pure Javascript, and I dislike the need to sanitize the data before parsing (also, if I was being picky, its not even truly valid JSONP anyway).

JSONP:

Callback(
    {
        "Hello": "World"
    }
);

Also, the UTF-8 issue is a bit of a deal breaker so far for me.

Once at least the UTF-8 issue is resolved, I'll integrate this into my tool (https://www.navalaction.tools), and make a public API available for all data.

In-case anyone is curious, I'm planning on creating a file hash from the json files, storing those in reddis and then on subsequent imports, creating a new hash and comparing to see if anything has changed before attempting a full blown import, and then using a differential algorithm to work out exactly what changed, so I have no need to perform a full loop of the data, although I'll have to create a benchmark to see the differences in time to see if the differential is necessary.

i'm having the same problem with UTF-8 and the JSONP (would also prefere JSON). Also it would be nice to have a timestamp to know when the data was created.

i'm having the same problem with UTF-8 and the JSONP (would also prefere JSON). Also it would be nice to have a timestamp to know when the data was created.

All of this, you have the option in javascript to parse as standard JSON so JSONP adds nothing for us!

Some integer fields are exported as Strings, Id and Nation come to mind.

Best pracrice is to treat ids as strings. Ids are not necessarily numbers, could be guids if moved to a non-sql database.

I would prefer they treat ids as strings to avoid issues with that, leading zeros, null keys, etc etc... of course these modern loosely typed languages... but, I digress...

It's a problem if you are using a language other than JavaScript.  My JSON parser is written in C# and while it was able to parse JSON value expressions it was not able to parse JavaScript statements that assign JSON value expressions to variables.

I use regexp to extract the json. Like 

/\W+=\s+([{\[].*?[\]}]);/

I use regexp to extract the json. Like 

/\W+=\s+([{\[].*?[\]}]);/

That would work if you read the entire JSON into an in-memory string before you start parsing any of it, but my parser reads directly from the incoming http stream to avoid needless use of memory.  By the time I read the last few bytes of the http response, the bulk of the JSON has already been parsed.  I suppose it's possible to apply regex scanning to a stream rather than an in-memory string but I wouldn't call it easy.

Of course this idea of using a regex may still be a useful tactic for others, even if it does not help me.  I don't want to give the wrong impression that I think this is a bad idea, it just happens that it doesn't help in my particular situation.

Incidentally, I have already solved the problem for myself although I didn't go into details on how because I didn't think anyone would be interested.  What I did was amend the expression parser to also recognize a limited class of statements (specifically "var identifier = json-value-expression" but I can add others such as callback function definitions).

Edited by Taralin Snow

This is neither JSON nor JSONP. It is Javascript. Why they name the files .json is beyond me  :huh:

• JSON is data in a javascript object notation format.
  • JSONP is data passed to a callback function which is named according to a request query parameter (commonly called "callback" for simplicity). In reality, JSONP is essentially Javascript that has been twisted  into a data-loading method to circumvent CORS.
  • This is a variable declaration in Javascript.
Edited by Svartschegg

This is neither JSON nor JSONP. It is Javascript. Why they name the files .json is beyond me  :huh:

Indeed...

Here is a quick PHP function to transform this javascript declaration into proper JSON

returns null if something is wrong, or a PHP array containing datas from the "API"

function fetchEndpoint($endpointUrl)
	{
		$content = file_get_contents($endpointUrl);
		if($content!==null && is_string($content))
		{
			$equalPos = strpos($content, '=');
			if($equalPos!==false)
				$content = trim(print_r(substr($content, $equalPos+1), true), ' ;');
			$JSON = json_decode($content,1);
			return $JSON;
		}
		return null;
	}
Edited by LethaK Maas