Game-Labs Forum

Virtual Ship and Ship Management

SH5 modders have fixed a lot. Had it been the PTO, I'd have fixed it myself, but my interest in u-boats is limited to hunting them. :)

For SH4, TMO with RSRD is the best I guess, and RFB with RSRD next (TMO is harder, RSRD is the campaign, which is similar with both).

It is funny to see that some of the members had the same idea I had playing SH: "Wouldn't it be great to have a game like this set in the Age of Sail."  :)

Personally, I really liked the crew management system in SH3 (it was a shame they didn't include this in SH5). I remember one time sailing for a very long time and suddenly my engine shut down. It wasn't for lack of fuel (I'll admit I was cheating) but my crew was simply too tired. I had to reassign them all for even the officers were tired. This also meant that if I were to come under attack I wouldn't be as efficient at repairs as I could be.

If this system could be implemented, even in a more basic form, it would really add to the depth of the game. Under attack - assign more to the guns, sprung a leak - assign more to repair at the cost of gun efficiency etc.

A thread on subsim is how I came here.

It's not surprising, as submarines in ww1 and ww2 are the closest thing to the age of sail warfare (smaller engagements) in modern times. The speeds are similar, the distances and time constraints are similar, the only difference is the concentration on sinking vs taking prizes.

It is funny to see that some of the members had the same idea I had playing SH: "Wouldn't it be great to have a game like this set in the Age of Sail."   :)

Indeed. I've often dreamed of that exact game whilst playing various incarnations of SH (and GWX mod). I believe that the sky dome in SH3 is so accurate that you can even use a mod of a sextant to take true bearings of where you are! Now THAT would fit an AoS game perfectly.

From what I've read I don't think NA is going to be that game - although I might be very pleasantly surprised - but I would hope that if it's successful that maybe the existing graphics, combat engine and other related parts could be made into that game.

In fact my perfect Age of Sail game would be all the game play from SH3, with the sailing model from the HMS Surprise program, with the graphics of.. Naval Action  ;)

• Like 1

Indeed. I've often dreamed of that exact game whilst playing various incarnations of SH (and GWX mod). I believe that the sky dome in SH3 is so accurate that you can even use a mod of a sextant to take true bearings of where you are! Now THAT would fit an AoS game perfectly.

From what I've read I don't think NA is going to be that game - although I might be very pleasantly surprised - but I would hope that if it's successful that maybe the existing graphics, combat engine and other related parts could be made into that game.

In fact my perfect Age of Sail game would be all the game play from SH3, with the sailing model from the HMS Surprise program, with the graphics of.. Naval Action  ;)

This.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

far as in-depth of crew management and dose of realistic-ish is concerned, I'm curious if there will be any some sort of position the captain can assign one of his/her dudes to become the provision supervisors. Of course, I reckon there will be only 1-3 positions depending on size of your ship.

For instance I'm captaining my sloop and there is only one slot to which I can assign one of my crewman to supervise consumption of provisions and to what time the crewmen can get a digin.

• 2 weeks later...

Too much management is bad imo, if it turns into a mini-game you've gone too far. 

That being said there is definite attraction to a FTL model, but maybe less as its real time with no pause as in FTL.

• Like 1