Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Roberts

This Weather...

Recommended Posts

So it's the Caribbean and yet there is fog and rain every second day... that does not seem realistic and should not be happening this often.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if the weather in the caribbean would be like in naval action no one would take holidays there. Its like London in November.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly I wished it stormed more intensely and more often, it breaks up the dulldrum of long voyages.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the weather as it is currently implemented as it adds diversity and gameplay opportunities :

- ports hidden by the fog you miss because you can't see them,

- enemies heading straight for your ship you can only see at the last moment,

- mission icons you can't easily find

(and maybe some day "things" (resources...) you're looking for as part of Exploration missions) 

 

Gameplay features one doesn't like are often criticized with reference to realism...  ;)

 

PS : I may be mistaken but I think Admin said devs would add more sun in the OW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most annoying thing is ports not having lights shine outside the buildings.. and during nighttime the lighting is very low...

 

There's no indication that a port actually is located in that part of the map other than one's own intuition of where the exact position is.. there's not even a damn lighthouse in ports! Not even in regional capitals! and even worse.. not even in nation capitals!

 

 

In the rain/fog.. almost impossible to see even land.. it's totally covered by the premier layer of weather occurance while the layer behind this weather is blank covered

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting to have variable weather. Would be boring to have it sunny all, or even most of the time. I'm not sure if people are exaggerating a bit because I have never sailed in NA when I did not encounter some sunshine and clear sky. Having fair blue conditions even 20% of the time is a reasonable balance with the other conditions of fog, storms, rain, overcast etc.

The fog, mist and storms might increase the difficulty to locate items but it also improves the ability to use stealth.

Reworking the weather to be predominantly clear with bright sun would not improve the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although ...

It would be an improvement to add an occasional dark (moonless) night. Currently every night it is clear enough to see property. Would be beautiful to have an occasional evening of inky blackness with brilliantly hot white stars. Where land is merely a flat silhouette against the deep blueblack sky. One dark night per month would not be too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone realize it rains every day in tropical places ? Its not all day rains but even florida has rain every day.

I live in a southern state and there is almost always a storm somewhere in the state and many many mornings or evening there is thick fog or haze. We have days that are " murky" and there is just so much humidity its thick and damp air.

Im thinking the weather is pretty spot on but just seems off to some people because time and distance are so compressed. If the map was giant then you would go days without seeing rain. Heck i already do go days in game with no rain.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's the Caribbean and yet there is fog and rain every second day... that does not seem realistic and should not be happening this often.

Love it. Only the other night I was able to escape into the fog. Equally, we chased a US player in clear weather who managed to escape when the weather changed.

I'm currently reading Empire of Blue Water: Henry Morgan and the Pirates Who Ruled the Carribean Waves, and it goes on in depth about how weather was a big problem with frequent hurricanes and tsunamis.

 

Quote from current Weather.org.

Across the Caribbean the most significant rainfall occurs from May to October. November through April are the dry months, but brief tropical showers are almost a daily experience.

The Atlantic hurricane season does affect the central and northern Caribbean from June through early-November, but advance warnings provide the needed protection for travelers.

Edit : Another Quote: 

 

During the summer and early fall, hurricanes roll through the tropics. In the Caribbean, Central America and the Southeastern U.S., these storms are a relatively common occurrence. Most are not the Category 5 news-makers that everyone in the world hears about. However, even a tropical storm or low-powered hurricane is enough to rattle the shutters and shake tourists’ nerves.

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most annoying thing is ports not having lights shine outside the buildings.. and during nighttime the lighting is very low...

 

There's no indication that a port actually is located in that part of the map other than one's own intuition of where the exact position is.. there's not even a damn lighthouse in ports! Not even in regional capitals! and even worse.. not even in nation capitals!

I agree on that. Ports should have lighthouses. They don't even have to spin, just give off a bright light. Thought spinning ones would be nice!

LH_night1.jpg

nh_pm_4.jpg

Edited by Admiral 8Q
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now if the Devs tied the in game weather to the real weather, and re-checked the POP every hour, we would get to enjoy 24 days worth of weather every day, and if the real world was in hurricane season, we would be in hurricane season.

 

Or

 

They could take the last 5 years of weather and run the same day/hour. That would provide for a 75 RL day cycle of weather that really matches the natural weather of the region. (1 year every 14 days basically).

 

Bahamas 14 day forecast.

 

Mar 10 - Mar 23 High [°C] Low [°C] POP Conditions Thursday, March 10 24 Feels like 24 23 10% 2.png Mainly sunny Friday, March 11 24 Feels like 24 23 10% 2.png Mainly sunny Saturday, March 12 23 Feels like 24 23 40% 6.png Chance of a shower Sunday, March 13 24 Feels like 24 23 10% 2.png Mainly sunny Monday, March 14 24 Feels like 25 23 0% 1.png Sunny Tuesday, March 15 24 Feels like 24 23 0% 1.png Sunny Wednesday, March 16 24 Feels like 24 22 0% 1.png Sunny Thursday, March 17 23 Feels like 23 22 20% 2.png Mainly sunny Friday, March 18 23 Feels like 23 22 20% 3.png A mix of sun and clouds Saturday, March 19 24 Feels like 24 24 30% 4.png Cloudy with sunny breaks Sunday, March 20 24 Feels like 24 23 20% 3.png A mix of sun and clouds Monday, March 21 24 Feels like 24 23 60% 6.png Chance of a shower Tuesday, March 22 24 Feels like 24 23 20% 3.png A mix of sun and clouds Wednesday, March 23 24 Feels like 24 24 30% 8.png Mainly cloudy

 

But this "Deadliest Catch" weather every day is a real downer.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True that tropical areas get rain almost every day... It also lasts for about 5-10 minutes at most before moving on... We're having rain and fog almost every day all day. At least this patch seems to have helped it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree on that. Ports should have lighthouses. They don't even have to spin, just give off a bright light. Thought spinning ones would be nice!

LH_night1.jpg

nh_pm_4.jpg

See this what i want and no stupid haze that shrouds us after a few KMs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See this what i want and no stupid haze that shrouds us after a few KMs

A lighthouse was the ultimate 'hero' for navigation in the times before GPS, or radio beacons.

In the haze of a fog, at night, you'd be lucky to see 10-100 meters ahead, let alone a few KMs, without the aid of a lighthouse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Would like to be able to see storms approaching, giving you the opportunity to avoid if wanted/needed. At present they just seems to happen on you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True that tropical areas get rain almost every day... It also lasts for about 5-10 minutes at most before moving on... We're having rain and fog almost every day all day. At least this patch seems to have helped it.

 

nvm

Edited by SKurj (ex JW)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if the weather in the caribbean would be like in naval action no one would take holidays there. Its like London in November.

or a swedish summer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...