Game-Labs Forum

Merging servers at next wipe

Server merge poll  

471 members have voted

1. 1. Should we merge servers at the next wipe?

• No
    • Yes

I agree, merge the servers and hopefully there will be more targets for OW PvP and you never know increase the population of some lesser populated nations. PvE players can still have their content, just need to be a little bit wiser or join a clan that can offer some protection.

The problem I have with PvP is not being attacked or fighting real opponents, it is how centralized the nation's become. I want to explore the Bahamas (I have a British character) and have something to do while I am there. On PvP us server, the Bahamas are entirely us/pirate owned. Same goes for Antigua and Barbados. Being wise and joining a clan is not really an answer to my problem. (Unless every player of my nation says "hey hexxus wants to visit Bimini, let's go capture it for him"

• 2 weeks later...

Rural US here with limited internet quality, pvp 2 ping is 100-120ish but euro ping is like 300. You will never convince me that this doesn't have an effect when it comes to aiming, sure I could hit the broad side of a barn-constitution but what if I'm full speed turning trying to get that split second shot at his waterline? Significantly harder target and yes a ping that terrible would have an effect. Get rid of pvp3 and pve imo, the prior being an antiquated overflow server and the other being boring and pointless, if you want pve go sail to some back water freeport and fight unarmed traders all you want.

tldr; if there is a merge I'm gone

I bet everyone in the affected servers will have a fresh start except for XP.

I strongly disagree with a split. I like my worldwide communities to play together.

The PB system has to evolve to include all, split is not a option in our modern world.

• Like 1

I strongly disagree with a split. I like my worldwide communities to play together.

The PB system has to evolve to include all, split is not a option in our modern world.

As an EU player I get very discouraged to play if I see many "Aussie" timers :(

• Like 1

I am an EU player and I wish to see a Conquest system adapted for all timezones.

Port Conquest windows must/need/should be set as we have now but replicate automatically 2 additional windows, -6 hours, +12 hours ( add discretion mechaninc not to overlap with maintenance )

Simple, effective and good for everyone.

I'm sure it's a running argument. There's a reason pirates havent done anything on pvp2 in awhile. Northern coast of Cuba and Haiti have rediculous timers. And then they took Gran Turk and set it to Aussie timer. It's helped devastate the population.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's a running argument. There's a reason pirates havent done anything on pvp2 in awhile. Northern coast of Cuba and Haiti have rediculous timers. And then they took Gran Turk and set it to Aussie timer. It's helped devastate the population.

I agree.. these timer are ridiculous, why can we set timer that make non sens on a US server, even the time written in the conquest section are Euro time lol.... Get rid of that bad system for the port battle and rework that completely. I hope they use the land in port battle to create nice forts and fortress to protect the ports, and have them very hard to capture even if no players defend them. With this they should  add AI ships defending all the port, taking a port should be a rough and difficult fight anytime. If players show up, they would take the spot of AI ships. Take off completely the timer and the flag system.

I vote no to merge, unless they do a system like Eve onlin, multiple node communicating together an players see nothing, and they dont lag.

if there is a merge, at least allow the pvp2 players to keep all their ships based in their respectives Nation's capitals.  You tell everybody in advance that they will keep all ships and items based there + you make them keep their gold and all crafting xp and blueprint they learned. Like that the merge wont be hard on them and their moral and you will keep your players. Im sure its even not hard to accomplish, so you should really think about it. I would like also that except for map reset, no one loose  anything anymore. At this point you should not wipe the players anymore, that would be bad i think. You game is enough advanced for you to keep their stuff alive. Just make them put what they want to keep in their capitals, or make a redeem option for your stuff.

I would prefer PVP2 keep existing, the dev should make some incentive to bring people on the server, but also bring more new players somehow.  Help us and give us news please, instead or just say nothing.  I agree also with some people saying you created the situation by saying almost nothing and annoncing from an admin that a merge will happen, accelerating the exodus..  this was kind of a dumb move in my opinion, and merging just like that with the way the servers and pings are and limits of players on servers not that high, would make non sense and hurt the players again.  Delete the EU mirror and merge the players in PVP2 (and keep all their asset like i proposed).

I like the PVP2 players and its a nice place, we just need a few more hundred to have it more fun. But everything is cool between players here and I would be disappointed if you just destroy this.

ALSO, the population of the PVP2 is in minority now, mean less people vote for not merging. Im sure most of the guys still on the server don't want that to happen btw. Or at least want to keep their stuff, gold,xp and BP.

Have a great day all

Edited by Skippy
  • Like 1

so, servers are merged and someone doing a pve mission is attacked by a pirate in a 1st rate, because after all pvp/e are all mixed in together, and that someone is in a FAR lesser ship. is that how it's supposed to work?

Same thing thats happens on the PVP servers. The player being attacked sends a distress call in nation chat and a group forms and takes the vic away from the pirate. Or the pirate sinks his own  ship on purpose. Although I don't advocate joining the pve server with pvp servers.

Saying "I vote for merging the servers" is a bit like saying "I vote for my 1978 Pinto to do 0-60 in four seconds." It's nice that some of you would like the Dev's to pull off an insanely complicated and difficult programming task, namely, making a real-time MMO server scale to whatever load all the players who want to play at any given time can put on it, but it's not that simple.

One of the many goals the Dev's have is to grow the player base. You know, those people who pay the money that let the Dev's do fun things like eat and pay rent. Right now, people look at the size of the player base and say, "PvP2 and PvP3 don't have many people.... we're bored... stick everyone together on one server." Does anyone remember that for a short time, PvP1 was at capacity and you couldn't log in until someone logged out to make room for you? Do you think that can't happen again? If you vote for merging the servers together, what is your plan when the player base does grow and one server can't handle everyone? Do you really want to wait to play? Do you want them to just start up another server -- like we already have?!?

And please don't tell me, "This is not a hard problem. Look at Eve. They do it, so NA can do it." Yeah, Eve does it with a huge team of software developers and ops engineers and a quarter million or more players paying a monthly subscription fee -- and believe me, what they've done is not easy. Building single-shard MMO's is non-trivial, and sucks up huge amounts of resources.

Bottom line: if you're one of the players who voted to merge servers, go merge them yourself. Get up off of PvP2 or PvP3 and move to PvP1 until it's maxed out again. You don't need the Devs to do that. They've got plenty else to worry about.

• Like 3

Saying "I vote for merging the servers" is a bit like saying "I vote for my 1978 Pinto to do 0-60 in four seconds." It's nice that some of you would like the Dev's to pull off an insanely complicated and difficult programming task, namely, making a real-time MMO server scale to whatever load all the players who want to play at any given time can put on it, but it's not that simple.

One of the many goals the Dev's have is to grow the player base. You know, those people who pay the money that let the Dev's do fun things like eat and pay rent. Right now, people look at the size of the player base and say, "PvP2 and PvP3 don't have many people.... we're bored... stick everyone together on one server." Does anyone remember that for a short time, PvP1 was at capacity and you couldn't log in until someone logged out to make room for you? Do you think that can't happen again? If you vote for merging the servers together, what is your plan when the player base does grow and one server can't handle everyone? Do you really want to wait to play? Do you want them to just start up another server -- like we already have?!?

And please don't tell me, "This is not a hard problem. Look at Eve. They do it, so NA can do it." Yeah, Eve does it with a huge team of software developers and ops engineers and a quarter million or more players paying a monthly subscription fee -- and believe me, what they've done is not easy. Building single-shard MMO's is non-trivial, and sucks up huge amounts of resources.

Bottom line: if you're one of the players who voted to merge servers, go merge them yourself. Get up off of PvP2 or PvP3 and move to PvP1 until it's maxed out again. You don't need the Devs to do that. They've got plenty else to worry about.

We've discussed this at great lengths in our clan on pvp2. What we think is going to happen is a merge will only happen when they do a port and asset wipe. And if that's the case why bother since people can just start a new character on pvp1.

So now my clan mates who were most active only log on to use up crafting hours (at best). They didn't fancy starting over with no assets or BP's at the present time.

A Wipe should not be done unless absolutely necessary.

If closing servers to join others is a waste of time.

Wiping is only needed IF a major problem in coding has occurred.

By wiping you break the morale of the dedicated players that have gone through several wipes.

To implement and stress test a game you need ALL levels in the GAME!

You need the Veterans with over 2000+ hours, the new guys from EA 1000+ hours, Plus the people that are going to play in three months time.

This is the true way to TEST a game.

To reset the Server to have all players "feel equal" is not only a bad strategy is is also PC insanity.

Does any game out there, wipe for a major update?

Does any game that add patches need to we it if the patch has an adverse effect?

If a game has a long life, the aspect of a wipe comes in the form of the game as a Sequel or a 2nd improved Version of the original.

To wipe the server unnecessary also takes away the Devs experience that the get from Hotpatching; this is the most valuable skill required from our Devs.

To bring the game into a "RESTART/RESET" is a sell defeating system, they will never get the real skills they require for the release of the game.

But again as I always say, what does this old guy knows.

• Like 3