Game-Labs Forum

Merging servers at next wipe

Server merge poll  

471 members have voted

1. 1. Should we merge servers at the next wipe?

• No
    • Yes

So, this is a simple suggestion/discussion and I'm sure most of you will just read the titles, and that's fine. I would like to see at the next wipe (ports/money/ships) that we merge the servers back together. The major influx of population from the release has no calmed down as most of us were predicting, and if we want to keep playing with a decent number of players we need to go back to a single server.

I don't see any major downside to this, I personally didn't like the idea of splitting the server between regions to begin with, and most of you had agreed with that. So please use this thread to discuss and vote on whether or not we should merge the servers back together the next time there is a wipe, that way nobody will lose anything.

I'm keeping the poll stupid, simple, and to the point to get the best gauge of what the player base feels like.

• Like 10

Agreed only thing i see that might be a problem is the current infrastructure and that fact (doesn't bother me as i play EU 1 as a aussie) but players will say that they won't play anymore as they don't get there usual x ping to the server now because its been merged and is now located in EU or the opposite now located in the US.

Before someone says this kind of shit though just remember us aussies on EU 1 play with 300+ ping or 250+ ping to both servers and it does NOT AFFECT SHIT even in PVP

• Like 5

Sounds like having dual servers was a bad idea, seeing how ping isnt that big of of a deal, there should be little debate here. When has having too many people been a bad idea?

Well like most games these days that get covered by "big" name twitch streamers and youtubers at release it will see a massive explosion in population, then as soon as they move on a lot of their followers move on as well. It would be nice for an increase in server pop limit and a merger now though. Even at this point I feel there's a lot of british population that doesn't realize you can do anything besides missions right outside port royal.

I have a 30 ping on the US servers. My ping on Europe is 100. I choose to play on the Europe server. I'd love to see a single server however there is a threshold where ping does start to matter. While I support it in theory I am not sure its practical.

I have a 30 ping on the US servers. My ping on Europe is 100. I choose to play on the Europe server. I'd love to see a single server however there is a threshold where ping does start to matter. While I support it in theory I am not sure its practical.

Mines 180, it's higher for the aussies playing on it, so unless you're in a 3rd world nation playing off a potato it doesn't.

I vote no because currently i am playing on PVP2 because i am from Australia and my ping is already 250 ping, merging to a Europe server will mean i will have 350 ping and that is terrible to play at.

for those who say that ping does not effect the game they are wrong or just delusional, with my current ping I have to shoot 1-2 seconds before the ship to actually hit the target, crafting is slow and generally everything else is.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 3

It's entirely possible (likely?) that the multiple servers are not just there for the players' sake but to allow the dev team to start testing their back end architecture.  Until they are ready to do full scalability testing, there is no reason we need to be on one server and being on only one does not allow them to test a lot of the backend stuff we never see.  In fact until they have done more scalability testing putting us all on one may actually be worse.

• Like 1

The server cap is there for two reason, hardware limits and software limits.

Until either of these are resolved it cant become one big server (or one big PVP server and one big PVE server), I dont know how they have built up the software or the hardware for the servers or what their idea is but I know why the limit to the cap is and that is what I stated on the first row.

• Like 1

The server cap is there for two reason, hardware limits and software limits.

Until either of these are resolved it cant become one big server (or one big PVP server and one big PVE server), I dont know how they have built up the software or the hardware for the servers or what their idea is but I know why the limit to the cap is and that is what I stated on the first row.

Except even with merging servers with the current population, we would not be hitting the cap.

• Like 1