Game-Labs Forum

Books to read on this topic - Hornblower and Jack Aubery - any more?

Destraex

Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey novels are quite simply, the best of their kind. I have not read anything to equal them in the historical age of sail novel line. I seriously recommend you pick it up again. Nearly every storm and battle is based on actual events and taken directly from the logs of the ships involved. You really can't get any better than those books.

For non fiction I recently read Arthur Herman's excellent book, "To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World." It's a very well written book on the Royal Navy's influence on the world, and it's incredible history. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Aubrey Serie is not only the best nautical novels but one of the best written adventure novels. The way he introduced the reader to the sailing terminology by the way of Maturin was just brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what. I would be keen to read something that was not based on the British navy. I picked Jack Aubrey back up.

But would also love to read the French or Spanish side of things.

I don't know if it was translated (seems not) but you can try L'Ancre de Miséricorde by Pierre Mac Orlan AKA Pierre Dumarchey. Or À bord de L'Étoile Matutine

The first one starts in Brest in 1777, and the second one is maybe a little before.

L'ancre de miséricorde was one of my favorite as a youg boy. Very powerful story. As Moonfleet.

• Like 1

I have not yet read any naval novels, but i have read many good point about O'Brian. I think i should read it.

This website could be useful if you are looking for naval fiction. It lists most of the naval fictions books written, all the writers with their bibliography.

Plus a forum to discuss about you favourite book or ask for advice.

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/

About the naval fiction french point of view, there is one quite famous writer : Louis de Garneray.

in fact this is not naval fiction, but supposed to be memories of a retired sailor who served under the Republic and the Empire before being prisoner on an english prison ship.

"Supposed" because it seems there are inaccuracies and improbalities which make think a (large ?) part of his memories would be fictional.

However, this is very well written and vivid.

I have only found the part on the floating prisons which was translated into english.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=LOUIS%20GARNERAY&search-alias=digital-text&sort=relevancerank

I am reading the 16th book of the Aubrey/Maturin series and have to say each time I pick up one of them and begin to read I am transported to a different world. I love these books which a good friend gave them to me along with the Hornblower series which I will read next.

• 1 month later...

Hornblower, Aubrey, Ramage, Bolitho.. I think those are the most "common" series everyone may know about.

And all of them are historically very good founded.

All they differ is in the authors style, the actions they play in and the focus they take. O'Brian's books are a lot talking about social aspecs next to the maritime action. And after reading those books two times I am somewhat exhausted to this.

Dudley Pope often repeats the very most important parts in every book following wich is bad if you read them in a row. But I enjoy them more.

Hornblower is way too short :D

But they feature charts with every action he takes part in. Very nice to have.

I cant tell about Bolitho since I only have got the first book yesterday since they are damm rare. (its a 1977 print :D)

Dont get me wrong. I adore all of those books. But some I prefere more over the others.