Game-Labs Forum

Sailing Movies

Destraex

Pirates of the Carebean series mainly for the apearance of the ,,Lady Washington,, as ,,Interceptor,, in the first movie wher Jack and Will steal it from Port Royal.

and maybe some dokumentation for knowlage of tactics and sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was always a fan of CGI- and/or reenactment-heavy documentaries. Are there any such documentaries that can teach me a thing or two about the maneuvering physics of sailing ships? I'm used to the later powered ships, and have only seen one video on some of the basic maneuvers (tacking etc.) of a sailing vessel. I'm still not quite sure how a sailing vessel would maneuver if it wished to travel in the direction that the wind was blowing! (such as if it left a port with the wind in its sails, and then wished to turn back without the wind shifting by very much). I also very much like to see documentaries that focus on where ships were within a given battle and how they maneuvered.

I figured this was an appropriate topic to request suggestions for such documentaries?

• 1 month later...

1951 Captain Hornblower. Virginia Mayo is HOT.

I just watched one called The Buccaneer with Yul Brynner and Chuck Heston. Not a lot of naval action...get it... but it is about Jean LaFitte at the battle of New Orleans. I really enjoyed it. Yul was absolutely cool.

Treasure Island with Eddie Izzard from 2012 was a good version.

Mupper Treasure Island.

Of course I have to reiterate Master and Commander.

Lastly, always remember what Yellowbeard said,"Ya gotta put a ed in a bag cause they tend ta oooze."

We miss you Graham.

• 3 months later...

Are there any good naval themed movies you want to share? :)

I always find that a good movie before gaming really sets me in the mood.

This scene from Les Misérables for example really pumps me up before a fight, even though it is a musical.

Captain Blood - Errol Flynn

The Sea Hawk - Errol Flynn

Captain Hornblower RN - Gregory Peck

Damn the Defiant/HMS Defiant - Alec Guinness

Master and Commander - Russell Crowe

Hornblower TV series was excellent in spite of the strange young man playing Hornblower himself.

The two Errol Flynn films are the best directed and have the strongest stories, Master and Commander is the one most evocative in the Age of Sail and remains my favourite in spite of its flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

Already mentioned:

• Master and Commander
  • Hornblower
  • Captain Blood
  • The Sea Hawk
  • Treasure Island (The one with Robert Newton as Silver. Sorry, the original Arrrrr is still the best. Everything since is imitation)
  • Black Sails  (So far shaping up to be interesting, based loosely on actual events)

All at the top of my list. Some not mentioned yet:

• Roman Polanski's Pirates!  - Not good, but worth a watch if you like the genre
  • 1492: Conquest of Paradise  - pretty much landlocked past the 45 minute mark - still a decent film if you ignore the inaccuracies
  • Elizabeth: The Golden Age  - Three minutes worth of Armada, and proof that horses can swim
  • Shackleton  - Not much sailing after being trapped in ice. Still, this 2 part A&E mini was actually a very exceptional made for TV production and a good depiction of  one of history's greatest survival stories - escape from the antartic with no ship and 800 miles in an open boat in the harshest latitudes on earth.
  • Like 1

The Bounty 1984 (Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins) - I have a particular fondness for this one, as I have had the IMMENSE pleasure of crewing that vessel across the Tasman Sea).

Mutiny on the Bounty 1935 (Charles Laughton and Clark Gable) 

Mutiny on the Bounty 1962 (Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard)

Billy Budd

Captain James Cook 1987 (a fine Aussie made for tv documentary about his first voyage in 1770)

Captain Horatio Hornblower (already mentioned)

Captain Blood (already mentioned)

Damn the Defiant! (already mentioned)

Master and Commander (already mentioned)

Hornblower TV Series (already mentioned)

Seaman Stains

post-6995-0-35535000-1420050844.gif

The Onedin Line (O-ne-din)

British TV drama during the 1970's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onedin_Line

The series is set in Liverpool from 1860 to 1886 and deals with the rise of a shipping line, the Onedin Line, named after its owner James Onedin. Around this central theme are the lives of his family, most notably his brother and partner, shop owner Robert, and his sister Elizabeth, giving insight into the lifestyle and customs at the time, not only at sea, but also ashore (mostly lower and upper middle class). The series also illustrates some of the changes in business and shipping, such as from wooden to steel ships and from sailing ships to steam ships. It shows the role that ships played in affairs like international politics, uprisings and the slave trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbUZrl7tU08

Has anyone seen TV series "Crossbones" with John Malkovich as Edward Teach (Blackbeard)? I ordered "Black Sails" on Chromey's recommendation (checked it out first of course), and that also came up (on IMDB). Looks okay.

EDIT: My apologies. It apparently begins on NBC on May 30. Still, check out the trailer on IMDB.

post-6995-0-31864800-1420538883.gif

• Like 1

Has anyone seen TV series "Crossbones" with John Malkovich as Edward Teach (Blackbeard)? I ordered "Black Sails" on Chromey's recommendation (checked it out first of course), and that also came up (on IMDB). Looks okay.

EDIT: My apologies. It apparently begins on NBC on May 30. Still, check out the trailer on IMDB.

attachicon.gifcheers.gif

Crossbones is over and done with. That was May 30 of last year. I watched the first three episodes or so and kinda gave up on it. I kind of got the impression it was show they had a hard time finding a home for and NBC just picked it up to fill time.

In my opinion , Black Sails was the better product which is why it is returning later this month and a third season was already greenlighted.